Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

Postposted on Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:02 am

So we recently wired the house for ethernet. We have four computers in different rooms and a mac airport express. We would like to be able to have at least 6 connections to the router. The current equipment situation is one four port linksys router and one four port switch. The router is starting to be a bit flaky and it is rather old.

Anyone have a good suggestion to fit into this system? Is there such a thing as a good 8 lan port with wireless router so everything would be integrated? Currently the airport is acting as a repeater and is located in the center of the house. If the router was wireless it would be in a basement corner, so maybe that isn't the best.

From the products offered at Newegg it is really hard to get an idea of what will work. The reviews are all over the place!

Thanks!
rogthewookiee
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:37 pm
Location: Bethesda MD

Re: Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

Postposted on Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:16 am

I've been using Ethernet over power lines for about ten years now. Never had a problem despite living in three different houses over those ten years. One was built in the 1920's and the other two after 1990.

I have 8mb/sec cable and the power line kits have never bottlenecked my speeds.

I put the wireless router in the right spot in the house and connected one power line unit to it. In each room where there is a computer I connect another power line unit. All the power line units self configure and connect.

Downstairs I have half a dozen computers connected to a switch which has it one of its ports connected to a power line unit. They are all on the network without issues.

Since power line networking works at layer 1, all network services like dhcp and uPNP work without issue.

You can even use the router's wan port over a power line unit if the cable/dsl modem is in another room.
someuid
Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:07 am

Re: Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

Postposted on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:10 am

someuid wrote:I've been using Ethernet over power lines for about ten years now. Never had a problem despite living in three different houses over those ten years. One was built in the 1920's and the other two after 1990.

I have 8mb/sec cable and the power line kits have never bottlenecked my speeds.

I put the wireless router in the right spot in the house and connected one power line unit to it. In each room where there is a computer I connect another power line unit. All the power line units self configure and connect.

Downstairs I have half a dozen computers connected to a switch which has it one of its ports connected to a power line unit. They are all on the network without issues.

Since power line networking works at layer 1, all network services like dhcp and uPNP work without issue.

You can even use the router's wan port over a power line unit if the cable/dsl modem is in another room.


Don't LAN over Power devices have horrid interlan transfer speeds?
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"
Philldoe
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 12:12 pm
Location: Turn around...

Re: Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

Postposted on Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:08 am

It's all relative. If horrid you mean somewhere between 100 and 500 Mbps. It's not as perfect as a gigabit ethernet connection, but it's still faster than wifi that goes through thick walls.
Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:00 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

Postposted on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:46 am

Why go for integrated? Stick with a separate switch and router and you will be fine.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3736
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

Postposted on Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:55 am

rogthewookiee wrote:So we recently wired the house for ethernet. We have four computers in different rooms and a mac airport express. We would like to be able to have at least 6 connections to the router. The current equipment situation is one four port linksys router and one four port switch. The router is starting to be a bit flaky and it is rather old.

Anyone have a good suggestion to fit into this system? Is there such a thing as a good 8 lan port with wireless router so everything would be integrated? Currently the airport is acting as a repeater and is located in the center of the house. If the router was wireless it would be in a basement corner, so maybe that isn't the best.

From the products offered at Newegg it is really hard to get an idea of what will work. The reviews are all over the place!

Thanks!


Maybe get an Asus RT-N66U Router and turn your current router into a switch. For better info on networking you may want to try www.smallnetbuilder.com.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:53 pm
Location: Timmins, ON Canada, Yes I know, Up in the sticks

Re: Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

Postposted on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:46 am

Anything more then a four port router is going to be expensive, business equipment, and you'll need to buy APs.

Just get an Asus router and a switch.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 852
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: The 918/539

Re: Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

Postposted on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:35 am

Another vote for a separate router and switch. Watch for Newegg sales, they frequently have 8-port gigabit switches (D-Link or Rosewill) for cheap.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37705
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

Postposted on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:38 am

just brew it! wrote:Another vote for a separate router and switch. Watch for Newegg sales, they frequently have 8-port gigabit switches (D-Link or Rosewill) for cheap.

I've used an 8-port TrendNet switch for several years now and it's the perfect piece of gear in that you simply don't know it's there.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20276
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

Postposted on Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:58 pm

anotherengineer wrote:Maybe get an Asus RT-N66U Router and turn your current router into a switch. For better info on networking you may want to try http://www.smallnetbuilder.com.


Second this recommendation. I have the ASUS RT-AC66R and it is an awesome router. Getting 300 Mbps on my X300 and 802.11ac on the wife's Galaxy Note 3. Sadly, my Vita and the wife's X230T don't support 5 GHz spectrum, so they are "only" getting 144 Mbps. The RT-N66U doesn't do 802.11ac, but is still one of the fastest N routers around.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm

Re: Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

Postposted on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:Maybe get an Asus RT-N66U Router and turn your current router into a switch. For better info on networking you may want to try http://www.smallnetbuilder.com.

Second this recommendation. I have the ASUS RT-AC66R and it is an awesome router. Getting 300 Mbps on my X300 and 802.11ac on the wife's Galaxy Note 3. Sadly, my Vita and the wife's X230T don't support 5 GHz spectrum, so they are "only" getting 144 Mbps. The RT-N66U doesn't do 802.11ac, but is still one of the fastest N routers around.

Turning the existing router into a switch is potentially non-optimal for a couple of reasons:
- He says it is getting flaky and is pretty old. Could very well be bad capacitors, which could eventually affect the switch side as well.
- If it is that old, it is probably only 100 Mbit.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37705
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

Postposted on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:32 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Voldenuit wrote:
anotherengineer wrote:Maybe get an Asus RT-N66U Router and turn your current router into a switch. For better info on networking you may want to try http://www.smallnetbuilder.com.

Second this recommendation. I have the ASUS RT-AC66R and it is an awesome router. Getting 300 Mbps on my X300 and 802.11ac on the wife's Galaxy Note 3. Sadly, my Vita and the wife's X230T don't support 5 GHz spectrum, so they are "only" getting 144 Mbps. The RT-N66U doesn't do 802.11ac, but is still one of the fastest N routers around.

Turning the existing router into a switch is potentially non-optimal for a couple of reasons:
- He says it is getting flaky and is pretty old. Could very well be bad capacitors, which could eventually affect the switch side as well.
- If it is that old, it is probably only 100 Mbit.


Well, sounds like he needs a new router anyway. He could get the RT-N66 to replace the linksys and keep using his old four port switch.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm

Re: Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

Postposted on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:11 pm

How big is your dang house? Can't you just chuck the Linksys and use the Airport Express with a $15 switch?
TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:29 pm

Re: Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

Postposted on Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:00 am

So the ethernet of power isn't really needed anymore. There is cat 6 run to each room with a common terminus were the dsl modem is.

The house isn't huge, but it was build in the 50's by my paranoid great-grandfather who used a particular kind of sheet-rock that appears to block or greatly reduce the signal strength of any EM signal. Cellphone must be used close to windows for instance.

I'm personally not a fan of the airport express, but it was a gift and it gets the job done.

I'll take a look at the Asus router and keep an eye out for switches. Black Friday after all!

I think the switch I have is fine, but yeah the router seems to need to be reset more and more often.
rogthewookiee
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:37 pm
Location: Bethesda MD

Re: Router suggestions, or more creative solution...

Postposted on Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:09 am

rogthewookiee wrote:I think the switch I have is fine, but yeah the router seems to need to be reset more and more often.


Have you tried installing DD-WRT or Tomato on the router?

If you aren't game for installing custom firmware on your router, you could try updating the firmware to the latest version if you haven't already.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm


Return to Networking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests