Oops, need a NIC recommendation

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Oops, need a NIC recommendation

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:59 am

Almost have all the parts of my new desktop delivered, but I just realized I need a wireless NIC. I don't see NICs or USB wireless adapters talked about much, but does anyone have a recommendation for one? Since there's so little written about any of these my default is an Intel-branded Wireless-AC 7260 card, since that's what's in all the latest and greatest laptops, but I want something that performs well and is reliable -- preferably more reliable than the Netgear USB wireless adapter I currently have that drops the signal whenever it feels like it.

So, any recommendations for a good NIC card?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Re: Oops, need a NIC recommendation

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:13 am

FireGryphon wrote:Almost have all the parts of my new desktop delivered, but I just realized I need a wireless NIC. I don't see NICs or USB wireless adapters talked about much, but does anyone have a recommendation for one? Since there's so little written about any of these my default is an Intel-branded Wireless-AC 7260 card, since that's what's in all the latest and greatest laptops, but I want something that performs well and is reliable -- preferably more reliable than the Netgear USB wireless adapter I currently have that drops the signal whenever it feels like it.

So, any recommendations for a good NIC card?

That's my recommendation.

I always wanted one with the antennas away from the box, never did pick one up though.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:17 am

You can't go far wrong with an Intel NIC.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:42 am

bthylafh wrote:You can't go far wrong with an Intel NIC.

Sine 3Com went out, Intel is my gold standard.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:52 am

Captain Ned wrote:Since 3Com went out, Intel is my gold standard.

I haven't really cared much for my Desktop CT, but was never bothered enough to replace it.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:43 am

My recommendation is to avoid wireless and go wired on a desktop.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:51 am

This is for a desktop? In that case, I'd go with a Mini-PCIe to PCIe adaptor like this and an Intel wireless NIC of some description, maybe a 6250 or 6300

I've tried other PCIe wireless cards, they've all been based on Realtek chipsets and were universally crap.

PS Forgive the Amazon UK links, I'm sure you'll find similar on your local Amazon!
Norphy
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:58 am

Savyg wrote:I haven't really cared much for my Desktop CT, but was never bothered enough to replace it.

And that's what I want from a desktop NIC, namely install it and forget about it.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:39 am

Captain Ned wrote:And that's what I want from a desktop NIC, namely install it and forget about it.

What I want from a desktop NIC is for the one built into the motherboard to not die, but I guess that's too much to ask :lol:

The one on my DX58SO actually seemed better for casual usage.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:14 pm

These are all good choices. Like most others have said, I like ethernet for desktops if at all possible.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Wired is the way to go, if you can. Otherwise, Intel or re-purpose a router as a bridge.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Interestingly the PHY on the other end is HIGHLY likely to be Broadcom. I'm not aware of any devices on the other end that use Intel.
keltor
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:55 pm

Savyg wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:And that's what I want from a desktop NIC, namely install it and forget about it.

What I want from a desktop NIC is for the one built into the motherboard to not die, but I guess that's too much to ask :lol:

I haven't had one die on me in years. (Granted if it is not a intel NIC built onboard I usually disable the onboard and slap in an intel NIC right off the bat).
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Savyg wrote:What I want from a desktop NIC is for the one built into the motherboard to not die, but I guess that's too much to ask :lol:

I haven't had that happen in quite a few years. If they're dying on a frequent basis I think you've got other issues.

I think I'd be happy if Realtek would just stop releasing tweaked versions of their NICs that subtly break the default Linux Realtek NIC driver. I've got a couple of Ubuntu boxes where I need to run a script to recompile and reinstall the NIC driver (from Realtek's source tarball) whenever the Linux kernel gets updated. It gets old.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:42 pm

just brew it! wrote:I haven't had that happen in quite a few years. If they're dying on a frequent basis I think you've got other issues.

I don't build new systems very often. It's happened something like two or three times out of six systems since the Athlon 600 days.

Plan to put protection on my next boxes networking heh.
Meow.
Savyg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:50 pm

just brew it! wrote:I think I'd be happy if Realtek would just stop releasing tweaked versions of their NICs that subtly break the default Linux Realtek NIC driver. I've got a couple of Ubuntu boxes where I need to run a script to recompile and reinstall the NIC driver (from Realtek's source tarball) whenever the Linux kernel gets updated. It gets old.

Ideally I would like them to commit right to the kernel. If there is a Realtek driver in the kernel, usually the jumbo frame support is missing and can only be brought back using their tarballs.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:54 pm

If you're looking to save cash, I've done well with Monoprice's wireless adapters. (Although I've only used the USB dongle, never use internal ones.) The only caveat seems to be lack of Linux kernel support, but they do include a disk with a driver on them. Still haven't tried it out there. If lack of more universal drivers is an issue, I wouldn't recommend them anyway, although that may improve over time.
C-A_99
Gerbil First Class

Return to Networking