Network Switch

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Network Switch

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:09 pm

So, I want to kind of ghetto-rig a network cable through one of my walls to another room that has no port. I was thinking of just plugging the cable into my modem in the one room, and running the cable to the other room where I want it, but I don't want a huge coil of wire in case I eventually move my PC. Would a network switch solve this so I can just use a separate cable from the switch to the PC? If so, what is a good (small) switch to get? (The wireless signal from the router isn't far enough, so that is why I want to run a cable.)
JawesomeArt
Gerbil

Re: Network Switch

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:18 pm

without seeing the floorplan/layout or the area, yeah you could ghetto fabulous it up by running a drop from the modem to the switch. Just make sure they can sense auto MDIX, so you don't have to worry about needing a crossover between switches.

It'll never be as nice as running twisted pair thru the wall, and punching it down in to a block, so you' d have a wall port, but honestly, I've seen worse.

an old 3com NJ220 is a decent 5 port switch
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Re: Network Switch

Postposted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:38 pm

JawesomeArt wrote:(The wireless signal from the router isn't far enough, so that is why I want to run a cable.)

Why not get a wireless repeater and put it between the router and the computer? That should boost it enough that you don't have to punch a hole through a wall. Either that or home powerline though that would be pricey.
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Return to Networking