To be honest, I would keep it pretty easy, albeit with tons of performance.
So all in all, kindof like I have right now but totally on steroids with 10 times the performance and all the extra bells and whistles. Totally out of bound go bonkers setup
* A nice pure gigabit internet connection(not to hard around here for home use providing you live in the right district). We've been talking about pulling in fiber to the building and that would easily take care of it.
* A really nice firewall that does 10GigE for internal segregation. Including gig performance of spam/web/malware/av filtering. I work mainly with Checkpoint myself, so one really nice appliance would do just fine.
* An assortment of cool hardware just for kicks including Fireeye, Ironport, Bluecoat Proxy, Arbor Pravail, Tipping Point IDS/IPS, and F5 with a Juniper SA for remote acces. Why, because I could. And these are product we sell and I work on so, why not.
* A procera packetlogic.
* A fully developed 10GigE internal switching infrastructure with segreation for DMZ, Guest-Network and my Internal Lan. 10GigE in workstation and servers and a really nice NAS or perhaps even SAN to offload most of my storage needs to and not having to big local drives.
* A nice off-site backup solution.
* Controller based multi-ap 802.11ac solution.
* A badass nice VM cluster running a decent assortment of radius, logging, cacti, splunk, snort, backtrack, helix, etc or whatever else comes to mind I might that I would like to work on for the moment. Right now I run most of my lab on my work laptop, but 16GB memory only covers vmware with a FW-manager, a couple of clients and a fw-cluster comfortably.
* A big fat UPS
* All nicely doubled for HA, includering internet and my own AS.
Come to think of it, on the network side, the above could probably serve most enterprises with less then a 1000 employees pretty comfortably. Although they would need more servers most probably.Here's my current setup for comparison. Decently simple, but fills my current needs.
My current setup is:
* A nice Juniper SSG firewall that takes 100mbit throughput of my 100/10 connection easily enough.
* Several GigE Switches internally with several Vlan's transporting internet, DMZ, Internal, Guest Networks for segration.
* A 802.11N network for iPad/Laptop/Phones.
* A 2012 server with 8x2TB Array that comfortably fills GigE network and lets me offload all photos, data, etc to fileshares and only to have installed software on local drives (160GB SSD and 1TB Velociraptor in the workstation).
* A QNAP NAS also running a 4x2TB array doing daily/weekly staggered automated mirroring of my fileserver, weekly of the workstation disk image full backups, etc.
Server runs as Fileserver, Hyper-V server with a webserver on it's own NIC/interface in the firewall, and lastly a DLNA serviio on the native that lets me pull just about any format to my home theater. And since I have a Oppo blu-ray it takes most formats, and my denon amplifier eats 24bit flac natively and also has spotify. If that isnt enough I have a home theater projector gaming comp in the living room for anything else.