Wireless and FPS gaming

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Re: Wireless and FPS gaming

Postposted on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:42 am

Pville_Piper wrote:I find it amusing that people use internet pings to prove/disprove Wi-Fi latency.

There's some selective logic going on here, but yeah. Everything you've said seems to indicate that you understand WiFi issues better than the naysayers and their empirical sample set of 1.
Let us know how you get on; Feedback is always useful for increasing the sample size, if nothing else.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:11 am

JohnC wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:If all you can do is discredit Valve then I think that speaks for itself.

It sure does - it speaks that I am a rational individual who likes to believe in his own objective experience instead of being a mindless follower of any particular brand or "consumer product review" website

I find it very amusing how you claim to be rational and then follow up with a completely non-sensical accusation in the same sentence.
Firestarter
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:29 am

<Moderator hat on>These personal attacks back and forth stop here. Go read the rules, and if you can't play nice there will be consequences.<Moderator hat off>
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:00 am

DPete27 wrote:I'm hijacking this thread only because I think a powerline adapter is the best solution here.

Question: Is it worth-while to run the "receiving" powerline adapter off a surge protector to protect against power surges? (I could care less if the "transmitting" end fries my $60 router, better that than my $1000 gaming tower) Does this have any negative effects?

I think if you've lost hardware to lightning strikes before, then you should look at surge protecting the mains at the point it enters your house to protect everything rather than just choice products.
I don't know if current Powerline networking kit handles surge-protectors well, but the earlier stuff to either drop the connection altogether, or reduce speeds right down to like 1 or 2Mbit/s in a sort of "safe mode".
<guesswork> The surge-protectors might filter out frequencies that Powerline kit needs to use for signal carrying. </guesswork>

DPete27 wrote:Am I being paranoid?

I don't know. If you had CAT6 and your router's DSL/power connection wasn't surge protected, there's maybe a chance that the surge could be transmitted down the CAT6 too. Only wireless would give you physical isolation in this case.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:37 am

I think a lot of this discussion is getting too caught up in what is "good enough" subjectively to some people, and what the best solution could be overall.

60hz is good enough for some people. Integrated sound is good enough for some people. Wireless internet for latency a sensitive FPS gaming is good enough for some people. Playing games with mouse acceleration enabled is good enough for some people.

None of those are good enough for me.

Bottom line, if you want the best, most reliable gameplay, go wired. If you are casual and don't mind dying because of WiFi, then go WiFi.
i7 3820 @ 4.4, Custom Water Loop | ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB G.Skill 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz | Samsung 840 250GB |WD Black 1TB | Win 8 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Corsair TX850V2 | Fractal Arc Midi R2
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri May 02, 2014 6:14 pm

I picked up a pair of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWRUICG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and they work fine. Speed tests are identical to what they have been and BF4 plays with no lag... Mission accomplished! :D
Windows8.1 Pro 64 bit, Antec EA650 Power Supply, ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard, I5 3570K processor, 8 gigs of Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 ram, Kingston HyperX 3K 240 gig SSD, Asus GTX660, Cooler Master Storm Scout case
Pville_Piper
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sat May 03, 2014 7:00 am

Good to hear.
It's interesting that although 90% of the newegg reviews report no problems, about 6% couldn't get it to work and another 5% weren't happy with the speed. That's more than I was expecting based on my reasonable experiences with Powerline and horrific Victorian house wiring, but still pretty positive overall.

All you have to do now is stop playing that boring old Battlefield game and get yourself some Titanfall ;)
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat May 03, 2014 10:41 am

If you absolutely must go with Wi-Fi, I strongly recommend going with a wireless bridge, as Ryu Connor suggested. All wireless adapters (especially USB) have additional CPU overhead, which can potentially affect games (even if only a small amount). Using a bridge offloads all the extra processing. Since the bridge is connected to your PC with a hard wire, that also means you don't have to screw around with any drivers. You can configure the bridge once, and never have to mess with it again, even if you upgrade or swap in different PCs.

Edit: Oh. Didn't notice you already made a decision
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Sat May 03, 2014 7:31 pm

The extra processing power might be low and I haven't anything about it before. But then again I saw a few odd comments in some of the reviews to lead me to believe that USB might have issues. I can see where, at a critical level of high CPU usage that it might cause small amount of latency. These are things that you never see tested buy reviewers. They test things like throughput, bandwidth and such but never do they look at these things with a computer running flat out trying to run a very demanding game. And if they do they run it on some Intel extreme hex-core CPU with sli/crossfire high end video cards. I hate reading reviews that are done on such machines. Real world for most people is mid-range CPUs. I seriously doubt you will find a lot of gamers who buy such things especially when most every review shows that the mid-range I5k/I7k run as fast as the $1000 stuff for games
Windows8.1 Pro 64 bit, Antec EA650 Power Supply, ASRock Extreme 4 motherboard, I5 3570K processor, 8 gigs of Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3 ram, Kingston HyperX 3K 240 gig SSD, Asus GTX660, Cooler Master Storm Scout case
Pville_Piper
Gerbil First Class

Previous

Return to Networking