installing a repeater switch

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

installing a repeater switch

Postposted on Sun May 18, 2014 10:49 am

I have about 12 lines that are over the 90 meter limit for cat5e. I installed a 48 port managed switch in the middle of the cable runs and started splitting the lines and putting on RJ45 leads to plug them into the switch. I am getting no link lights when I plug them in. Is this the incorrect way to do it?

Stephen
sevridge
Gerbil In Training

Re: installing a repeater switch

Postposted on Sun May 18, 2014 11:01 am

Just to make sure, it sound like the cables something like do this:

A----Left Half of Switch M------Right Half of Switch M------B

Ya, that doesn't seem like it would work at first thought, but after a bit that seems like normal operation. Maybe the switch doesn't amplify, so the signal dies anyway. It might be helpful if you post the model of the switch.
Last edited by Ari Atari on Sun May 18, 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Sun May 18, 2014 11:26 am

This sounds a bit strange to me, but I'll bite.

If you are running cable from a switch to a switch, and for some reason either the switch doesn't support auto MDIX or it is disabled, you need to wire the new ends as crossover or you won't get a connection.

Are you running these 12 cables parallel to each other? Is there a reason that they needed to stay separated, and you couldn't have just run one or two links from switch to switch?
TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sun May 18, 2014 1:15 pm

Well, if you are not getting link lights my guess is that either the managed switch is configured incorrectly, or the new connectors are installed wrong.

There's another issue though; unless you are careful to configure the switch to not route packets between the ports coming from the LAN side, you are creating a bunch of broadcast routing loops, which has the potential to bring the whole network down.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon May 19, 2014 7:37 am

So you have effectively 'spliced' all 12 connectors in the middle with that switch in order to extend them? With an unmanaged switch that would create a broadcast storm, with a managed switch my guess is it's detecting this and killing the ports in order to save the network.

If you can get away with it, I'd just use one line to extend the network. If you actually need all the bandwidth of all 12 lines, I'd suggest looking into something like fiber that can handle higher bandwidth and range in one cable.

Maybe the switch can be configured to 'segment' the lines into 12 pairs, but my knowledge of managed switches is limited.
Desktop: FX-8350 | 32 GB | XFX Radeon 6950 | Windows 7 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 8.1.1.1.1 x64
SuperSpy
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon May 19, 2014 9:18 am

Do you have any sort of cable diagnostic equipment? A simple connectivity tester will tell you if the cable is bad or if something is wrong with the switch.

Did you use any sort of standard when crimping down the plugs?

sevridge wrote:Is this the incorrect way to do it?

Mainly, yes.
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon May 19, 2014 11:59 am

Oh! Duh. Did you not get link lights on any ports? Or only on one of them? You are probably seeing STP in action (which prevents the situation that JBIT is describing) and in that case in means you are trying to do something that can't be done. If you describe your situation a bit we might be able to suggest a better solution.
TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Team Leader

Return to Networking