Netgear R6100 and a Dish Satellite modem.

The network is the forum.

Moderators: Steel, notfred

Netgear R6100 and a Dish Satellite modem.

Postposted on Thu May 29, 2014 6:02 pm

So, a friend of mine ditched her cable TV and internet, and went with Dish TV and Broadband. I didn't find out in time to stop her, but what's done is done, and I'm the one that gets to hear how much she hates it.

Anyway, in addition to the Sat modem, Dish replaced their Linksys for a Netgear R6100. It's not a terrible AP/router by any stretch of the imagination, but it's missing so many useful features that it's driving me nuts. I can monitor traffic, but just globally, not on a per-device basis. It uses NTP to set the time, but its 6hrs off, and there's no option to change it (I've already made sure it's the right timezone). I can block websites and other FQDNs, but not IP addresses? Not even the ones being flagged in the logs as running SYN floods at the public interface?

*edit* I forgot to mention the problem doesn't seem to be the netgear itself, I can always get into the mgmt interface everytime. The Satellite modem has been know to hang, every now and then, though.

I spoke to a Dish Tech support rep, who basically shrugged and said my friend should just block them on her Netgear. I tried explaining to him why blocking those types of attacks closer to the source would help keep garbage traffic off their already meager bandwidth, and all I got was a promise that he'd escalate it.

Anybody here have to deal with this from Dish? Anybody think the Netgear could be throwing false positives?
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Return to Networking