Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

mac files, i have some questions

Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:13 pm

i have a few files and need help
.dmg
.toast
.sit

I have a PC with a dvd burner. Im trying to send these to a friend that has Mac (osx). How do i do this?
i think:
.sit = zip
.toast = iso
.dmg exe.

SO, can i send him a dvd that has all files and - the dmg he just installs, the toats he will burn himself and the .sit's he can unzip and burn or install?
is this the way it works, i know nothing of Macs, i want one but they are TOO expensive and it is hard to find Freeware.

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:12 pm

These are not all the same thing as Zip files.

DMG files are unmounted IMG files (Disk images).
SIT files are a compressed file made by Stuffit, sort of like Zip, but different.
TOAST files are an IMG file made by Toast, a Mac version of Roxio Easy CD Creator.

Macs can read PC disks, so if you have Mac files you can just burn them to a Windows formatted disk.

You might want to pickup Aladdin's Stuffit Program for Windows to help with SIT files.

http://www.stuffit.com/win/index.html

BTW, there is TONS of freeware for the Mac. Most of what I use is freeware. Keep in mind that OS X is Unix based, so a lot of Unix and Linux software has been ported. Additionally, there is FINK (kind of like apt-get in Linux) to get more software that is basically just pure unix.