Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Steel
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mac OS 9 is dead

Mon May 06, 2002 4:13 pm

Long live OS X!
http://slashdot.org/apple/02/05/06/184234.shtml?tid=178

This is probably a good thing. OS X is better any way you look at it.
It's interesting to note the Mac OS has existed in a somewhat backward compatible form for over 18 years.

resteves2
Gerbil

Mon May 06, 2002 4:37 pm

The really exciting news is the list of features for Jaguar. And that Mac rackmount servers are coming out in a week or so.

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon May 06, 2002 5:41 pm

About time theres hw acceleration for the gui...thats one slow mutha
Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 08, 2002 3:48 pm

Mac rackmount servers.

Wow!

I didn't even know there was a need for Mac based servers.

What services would if be used for? I mean I did some work for a large print shop once that had a lot of macs, but all thier files were stored on a NT server with mac services installed.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

Steel
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2002 4:13 pm

We actually have a Mac acting as a server where I work. It runs Mac Administrator for centralized athentication and software distribution for all the Mac users. It would be kind of nice to be able to rackmount it if it weren't for the PC type KVM switches we use.

resteves2
Gerbil

Wed May 08, 2002 9:15 pm

Z-Man,

What it can be used for will depend on what the specs are, and how they handle the UI.

Many Mac shops may prefer to not have to also deal with Windows or Linux or whatever. It may also be useful for certain renderfarms, assuming they take advantage of Altivec. For web hosting and such, they may be able to use G3's and be cheaper.

With OSX, you get the stability of *nix, but an easier and nicer front end.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 09, 2002 2:35 pm

Sorry Resteves2, I'm not creaming my pants over this one.

I was in the Mac scene back in '88 when they had the best UI and their act together. However they ran the company into the ground. Had they lowered their price point and made some servers then, they could've dominated the market.

They didn't do that.

That, and one of my co-workers who has been working with *nixes for the last 25 years, tore apart an OSX box to see how well it worked.

When I asked him later what he thought, he just laughed.

Apple had their chance and blew it. Now they are way behind playing catch up. Which I never think they are going to do.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

resteves2
Gerbil

Thu May 09, 2002 9:39 pm

Who said anything about creaming pants?? You asked why anyone would want them, and I gave examples. I doubt it will take the server world by storm, but there are deffinitely markets for it.

Did you friend take apart the actual box?? If so, how does his *nix experience mean anything?? And what was he laughing about.

If he tore apart the 'software'; I don't see what he could be laughing about, unless he thinks BSD is also a joke.

And I can respect your opinion that Apple is behind and will never catch up, but by your own admission, you don't really have any information to back up your opinion.

resteves2
Gerbil

Thu May 09, 2002 9:40 pm

Who said anything about creaming pants?? You asked why anyone would want them, and I gave examples. I doubt it will take the server world by storm, but there are deffinitely markets for it.

Did you friend take apart the actual box?? If so, how does his *nix experience mean anything?? And what was he laughing about.

If he tore apart the 'software'; I don't see what he could be laughing about, unless he thinks BSD is also a joke.

And I can respect your opinion that Apple is behind and will never catch up, but by your own admission, you don't really have any information to back up your opinion.