Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Apple blows past expectations

Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:09 pm

N/A
Last edited by Gandhi on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:18 pm

There will be victory.

My new 5.5G Black 80GB iPod, my iMac, and my planned purchase of a MacBook Pro tells me so.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:46 pm

N/A
Last edited by Gandhi on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:27 am

N/A
Last edited by Gandhi on Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:32 am

I see we have a resident fanboi

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:35 am

N/A
Last edited by Gandhi on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:37 am

Gandhi wrote:
I put my money where my mouth is. What about you?

I don't quite see what you mean by this?

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:46 am

N/A
Last edited by Gandhi on Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Bamboo Head
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:19 am

i dont have anything against macs. i honestly wouldnt object to owning a macbook. i'll even come out of the closet a bit and say they're kinda sexy.
but i think what turns me, and everyone else, off, is the ifanatics. and in the spirit of thread crapping... the one thing PC users can do that Mac users cant.
edit: link removed.
Last edited by Mr. Bamboo Head on Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:25 am

Gandhi wrote:
Just pointing out that I believe in the company enough to have some skin in the game.

Most of the replies on my posts I have seen from you on Apple Sanctuary have been snide remarks and subtle put downs. You don't see me going to the Windows forum laughing at the poor saps having problems with Vista, do you?

No need to call me names.

Such one sided posting is the very definition of a fanboi. I'm sorry if that offends you. 399 of your 1690 posts (23.6%) are in this forum, which is well above the TR average of 0.71%. I have no problem with you being proud of where you have your stock, but even you must admit that you post alot in this forum. 6 of the most recent 8 topics have been started by you. In the Leopard thread, you had 6 posts in a row. That is fanboyism at its finest.

Again, I don't have a problem with you being one, just admit that you are.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:20 am

Not to pile on but half the posts on the road to Leopard thread were by you. Not to mention that the majority of the topics in this forum are by you.

I wouldn't necessarily call you a fan boy but you are definitely obsessed with Apple.

Gandhi
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:50 am

Mr. Bamboo Head wrote:
but i think what turns me, and everyone else, off, is the ifanatics. and in the spirit of thread crapping... the one thing PC users can do that Mac users cant.

Okay then, I guess I will take your advice. It was nice knowing the folks on TR. Bye.

sid1089
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:20 pm

What is wrong with being excited/obsessed over Apple and Apple's products? I used to side with MS and the PC until I bought my very first mac. Within days, Apple's product had convinced me that it was way better than anything else on the market.

Now, I don't understand what you guys have a problem with. Calling someone a fanboi and eventually making him leave the forum is not the spirit of TR. So what if someone is obsessed with Apple? Is that something wrong? If not, why do you even mention it? I don't think it is right to pass that kind of judgement.

Now, Gandhi has a right to post 6 posts in a row about leopard. He has the right to post 23% of his material on Apple or macs or whatever he wants to. Why are you even mentioning this? Who are you to question his right?

Again, I don't have a problem with you being one, just admit that you are.

Well, why should he? Are you like the boss of the forum? Aren't you being a bully here?

.....and in the spirit of thread crapping... the one thing PC users can do that Mac users cant.

Ironic, considering that fact that you are the one who finds it necessary to pull out a web-page that explicitly insults Mac users without any reason. Who is the fan-boy/fanatic now?

Sid

Mr. Bamboo Head
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:34 pm

Gandhi wrote:
Mr. Bamboo Head wrote:
but i think what turns me, and everyone else, off, is the ifanatics. and in the spirit of thread crapping... the one thing PC users can do that Mac users cant.[/url]

Okay then, I guess I will take your advice. It was nice knowing the folks on TR. Bye.

it wasnt meant like that; i thought it was a funny page :-? i'm sorry you were offended by a satirical site.

Gandhi wrote:
Quote:
.....and in the spirit of thread crapping... the one thing PC users can do that Mac users cant.

Ironic, considering that fact that you are the one who finds it necessary to pull out a web-page that explicitly insults Mac users without any reason. Who is the fan-boy/fanatic now?

thats what i thought... ironic, right?
and apparently you didnt read what i wrote before:
i dont have anything against macs. i honestly wouldnt object to owning a macbook. i'll even come out of the closet a bit and say they're kinda sexy.

i constantly have people telling/preaching/gushing about how great their macs are. i guess this was the wrong forum to say it annoys me. link removed.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:04 pm

Mr. Bamboo Head wrote:
i constantly have people telling/preaching/gushing about how great their macs are. i guess this was the wrong forum to say it annoys me. link removed.

So since someone else is happy, even very happy with their computing experience, and you aren't, suddenly they need to 'shut the f*** up'???

I really don't understand Mac bashing. Even in the older days when I actively disliked Macs, it was based on some real criteria; they were using different hardware than anyone else and had it locked down so as to be un-customizable. Those are serious reasons to dislike an architecture/OS. Bashing them just because they are different and happy just makes you petty and close-minded.

Hey Maddox: I like my Mac. I don't often crow about it. If foisting your opinion on others is a bad thing, thenyou should try some STFU yourself, windbag.

Hypocrite.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:09 pm

While I agree with the sentiments expressed by Forge above, I think leaving the forum altogether over a link to Maddox's site is pretty lame. Oh, well. :(

I personally can't wait until it's time to get my iMac (yes, I'm not going to get a laptop...I don't need to be mobile often enough to justify the price of a Macbook Pro and can't stand the idea of vampire video in the Macboook...I tried the GMA950 route once before with the Mini and hated the fact I needed a PC to play games...the higher-end 20" with a 2600Pro should be sufficient tho).
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:14 pm

Hell, I even knew a guy that was a fanatic for Macs & kept on gushing on about how great they were. Thing is, he didn't even own one and yet he persisted.

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:36 pm

Sigh.

Rather than re-write what I've written too many times, I'll just repost it:

Okay okay, let's all settle down.

This is the Apple forum and for whatever reasons, PC fans like to come in here from time to time to crap all over Apple. God knows why we're not allowed to be excited about our platform of choice, but there you have it. PC fans get a stiffy every time a new CPU fan comes out, but we're not allowed to be excited about some innovations that Apple comes up with.

This is the price of admission to being a Mac fan. I faced up to that a long time ago and I have come to accept it. Occasionally, it gets out of hand and I have to stop a thread in it's tracks, but most of the time, the idiocy is self evident and people point at the troll and laugh. I am sure enough of my decision to use a Mac that I'm not all that concerned with someone who's manliness is defined by his computer. By the way, this is a generalization, I am not calling anyone a troll here.

What I have said in the past remains true: Computer platform choices are simply a matter of preference. What is important to one computer user is not important to another. A feature that makes a gamer foam at the mouth may not mean a thing to someone who wants a computer that is elegant and easy to use. Operating Systems are the same way. I can't stand hand-tweaking every bit of my OS, but Linux fan boys LOVE it. Just a matter of priorities and preferences.

Everybody relax, grab a cold one, and move on. Preferences are by definition, very personal. Even when Apple's hardware was totally outclassed by intel and AMD (other than the diehard fanbois, most Mac fans will admit this), there were people that preferred the OS and user experience to whatever else was available. That user experience was more important to them than sheer speed.

People have different sets of priorities. They have different sets of expectations. They have different sets of aesthetic preferences. One size, no matter how big, does not fit all. Nor should there be any desire for this to happen.

We all win when companies have to compete for our dollars. We lose when we only have one company to choose from. It really is that simple.