Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Leopard Graphics Update??

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:41 am

Hey guys, Note date of post,

I am one of the silent majority of people who LIKED transparent menus, and so I HATE update 10.5.2

Right now Software Update is telling me to download and install the "Leopard Graphics Update" but it doesn't specifiy much other than it requires 10.5.2

Anyone know what this update does? Will they take away my beloved transparent menubar, too?
2014 21" iMac w Intel Iris Pro

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: Leopard Graphics Update??

Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:48 am

Can you uninstall and update?

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:07 am

I installed the Graphics update anyway but so far everything still looks the same. Huh.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:14 am

it's new graphics drivers that Apple didn't roll into 10.5.2 because that download was pretty hefty in size to begin with. If you download outside of software update and grab something like Pacifist, you can examine the context of a .pkg before you install - you'll see that everything it has goes into /system/library/extensions and it contained files like ATIRadeon*.kext and NVDANV?0Hal.kext (where * could be something like X1000 and ? is a single-digit number like 4, so it's ATIRadeonX1000.kext and NVDANV40Hal.kext - remember all drivers are universal binaries so while there were no NV40 GPUs in Intel OSX, there are 6600 and 6800 cards for PPC).

And in every config I've seen tested, OpenGL, Quartz, and UI tests in Xbench are on the order of 20-30% faster, but there were all Intel setups. Not sure how they improved PPC performance. Also, WoW is finally playable with full-screen glow.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:24 pm

Thanks for the info. Too bad that doesn't translate into much usefulness for me, but at least Apple works on optimizing display drivers.