Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

hans
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

MBP Airport + WEP/WPA

Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:45 pm

Alright, my roommate's new macbook pro arrived today. I took on the task of getting it on our wireless network. The router is a Motorola SBG900 that supports WEP & WPA. Right now its set for WPA, TKIP with a PSK. The wireless works fine with a PC laptop. I tried WEP. I changed to Key 1, I've entered the passphrase, I've entered the key with a $ in front, I've messed around with Keychain. Even with the network set to WPA on the MBP, it keeps asking for a WEP password. Anytime I enter the password I get "Incompatible security." What's the trick?

Update: I turned off WEP & WPA. No security, nothing. Still the MBP asks for a WEP password. I deleted the network out of Preferred Networks & Keychain.

Update 2: Unchecked "Remember this network" and it stopped assuming it there was security on the network and let me connect unsecured. I hoped that would allow me to run WPA but nope -- still asks for a WEP password and doesn't accept my WPA PSK.

hans
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Re: MBP Airport + WEP/WPA

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:50 pm

I got it working with WEP. Anytime you make a change to a preferred network in Network/Advanced, you have to click Apply back in the main network panel, even though clicking OK in Advanced looks like its committing the changes. Once I figured that out, I got WEP to work, but WPA still won't.