Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Vista and MacBooks

Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:07 pm

In case you had some software that only works in MS Windows, and you owned a Mac (eg a MacBook Pro or Air), you might want to see these reviews from X-bit labs.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mobile/display/apple-macbook-air.html AND http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mobile/display/apple-macbook-pro.html

What is your take on this?
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Vista and MacBooks

Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:04 pm

I think at this point, specs become somewhat irrelevant. They use basically the same hardware (although, the tester should have used the new PB with 512MB of RAM on the video card), the real differences become a matter of taste. If you prefer the Mac hardware and OS, buy the Mac, it's the only place you can get it. If you want Windows, you can use either a Mac or a PC. If you don't need an aluminum case or the Mac OS, then buy a PC. It's really all a matter of taste.

A couple of things stuck out to me and I don't want to make too big a deal of it, but a couple of his statements struck me as sort of odd. He was saying that a performance difference of about 1% showed "inferior" performance on one set of tests. That was probably just a poor choice of terms, but when you hit a gap of 1% at these performance levels, you are talking margin of error and reproducability.

He also makes the comment "As for the price factor, the MacBook Pro is expensive just because an Apple computer can’t be cheap". The statement itself is just factually incorrect for a couple of reasons. Primarily in that if you take an option to option approach, Macs are very competitive and even come out ahead in some areas. The other thing is that Apple doesn't target the low end of the market. At all. Period. That's like saying that Cadillac just doesn't make a low cost small car. Well duh, that's not their market segment. It's an old argument, but it's true. You will not be able to buy a sub $500 laptop from Apple, even though other manufacturers may sell them. It's just not a market they want to compete in.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:40 pm

Thresher wrote:
It's just not a market they want to compete in.

Probably because the profit margin is so thin.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:13 am

Thresher wrote:
That's like saying that Cadillac just doesn't make a low cost small car.

Uhhhhh they did....The Cimarron.

Sorry for the hijack.

I love my MBP. Even though I own a copy of Vista Ultimate I did not add that to my MBP I went with XP.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!