Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Leopard 10.5.3

Wed May 28, 2008 2:13 pm

It's available now. Check Software Update, as usual.

While it's nice that they improved the little things here and there (screen-share iChat improvements are good for me) I'm pretty let-down that they didn't add--No, restore--No, relinquish menu pulldown transparency. Would it be too much to ask to have our pulldown menus look as nice as the ones in Vista, for crying out loud? Oh, and give us a slider bar to customize the level of transparency, plz thanks.
2014 21" iMac w Intel Iris Pro

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Leopard 10.5.3

Wed May 28, 2008 2:36 pm

Did they fix Active Directory binding this time?
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 28, 2008 2:41 pm

bthylafh wrote:
Did they fix Active Directory binding this time?

I think so...

For a full list of improvements, check out Apple's support page: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1141
Twitter: @xmunos

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed May 28, 2008 3:23 pm

Have they fixed the move problem?
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed May 28, 2008 4:10 pm

titan wrote:

What "move" problem? Are you perhaps referring to the same problem I have, where I don't move away from my Mac for hours at a time? :)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed May 28, 2008 4:31 pm

titan wrote:

You mean the possible file delete error if you're moving to/from network drives? That was fixed in November with 10.5.1
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 29, 2008 2:30 am

ssidbroadcast wrote:
titan wrote:

What "move" problem? Are you perhaps referring to the same problem I have, where I don't move away from my Mac for hours at a time? :)

Lol! I meant this:
derFunkenstein wrote:
You mean the possible file delete error if you're moving to/from network drives? That was fixed in November with 10.5.1

Good to hear. I hadn't heard anything about that, and remembered it when I saw this thread.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

monts
Gerbil Jedi
Location: Western Australia (Gods Own Country for those uncertain)

Thu May 29, 2008 5:30 am

Just in the process of the smallish 420MB download now for leopard 10.5.3
iMac 27” | MacBook Air.
Cricket and AFL (Fremantle Dockers) tragic.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 29, 2008 6:48 am

titan wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Good to hear. I hadn't heard anything about that, and remembered it when I saw this thread.

Addresses a potential data loss issue when moving files across partitions in the Finder.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306907

Yeah, that was a pretty big deal at the time - they were pretty fast to fix it, too.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Fri May 30, 2008 10:30 am

I downloaded the update last night. No issues found so far, but I didn't have any of the problems they fixed, either.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:06 am

And just a month later, we're at 10.5.4. It will be required for MobileMe, as 10.5.4 is listed as the minimum OS version for Leopard.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1994

Just want to take a moment to gripe about my Mac Mini - I received it from Newegg on June 16, it died on June 18, and I still don't have it back. Once I do, I'll be sure to try the update. :D

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:38 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
And just a month later, we're at 10.5.4. It will be required for MobileMe, as 10.5.4 is listed as the minimum OS version for Leopard.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1994

Just want to take a moment to gripe about my Mac Mini - I received it from Newegg on June 16, it died on June 18, and I still don't have it back. Once I do, I'll be sure to try the update. :D

You know, I've been using NewEgg for years, but I'm growing more and more disenchanted with them. For one thing, they've started observing MAP for nVidia, which blows. They've had some issues with service as well, if Consumerist is to be believed. I just hate to see them turn into just another internet retailer. I've started using eCost for some stuff and ZipZoomFly for others.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:57 pm

Well, in my case, I called Newegg who said I should call Apple first, and they sent me to either the Klaus Companies in Peoria or Connecting Point in Bloomington. I chose the latter as I've dealt with them plenty in the past (plus I know they have the Thresher Seal of Approval). The dude there called yesterday to say the part that needs replaced is in stock and should have shipped yesterday, which means I might get my mini as soon as Thursday. It's just irritating to me that something that was so obviously defective can't just be replaced by Newegg. I'd have shipped the Mini back overnight and gotten my new one last week I'm guessing.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:42 pm

Got my mini back yesterday, all is swell. Upgraded to 10.5.4 without any issues, but I don't think I was having any problems with what was fixed.

This little thing is pretty slick. Now that I'm using Leo on a real Mac I feel like I can actually move my stuff onto it - whether or not it was unstable on a blackbox PC (and it wasn't unstable at all) I was paranoid to move real stuff I do onto one.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:27 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Got my mini back yesterday, all is swell. Upgraded to 10.5.4 without any issues, but I don't think I was having any problems with what was fixed.

This little thing is pretty slick. Now that I'm using Leo on a real Mac I feel like I can actually move my stuff onto it - whether or not it was unstable on a blackbox PC (and it wasn't unstable at all) I was paranoid to move real stuff I do onto one.

Leo on a real Mac? blackbox PC? Afraid to move real stuff? This all sounds really cryptic to me.
2014 21" iMac w Intel Iris Pro

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Not cryptic. Here's my story:

My Core2 Duo PC I ran OS X on side-by-side with Vista. It was fun and all, but I felt like I was missing out on the real thing, so I ended up selling it and I bought a Mini and an Athlon X2 system with a GeForce 8600GT so I could play what little PC gaming I have left (Diablo 2 and Starcraft until their sequels come out). I got the Mini on June 19 and it died 2 days later, so I never really got a chance to set it all up. It got the logic board repaired at the local Mac dealer, which happens to be in the same town as Thresher's locale (so he knows who I'm talking about when I mention Connecting Point). So now I have Leopard on a real Mac as opposed to my "black box" (beige box except the case was black in color).

At any rate, 10.5.4 is still running smoothly 10 hours later, but I"m drunk as ****. I"m going to bed.