Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

kitsura
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

OS X Email Issue

Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:28 am

Any Mac experts out there can help me out? I'm not really good in OS X and my company uses an this OS X server with an automator script to send out daily email reports. Problem is a few days back I encountered the above error message which I suspect could be due to a connection outage. But I've no way of confirming. The email log has already been overwritten and I don't know if there is a way to see how long the network has been connected for. And since the connection is ok and the script runs fine now and I'm also able to send out emails through the server I'm still puzzled as to the cause of the above error msg.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: OS X Email Issue

Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:07 pm

That's USUALLY the case - that the mail server is/was down.

Comcast gets kinda pissy (from a consumer email end) with Mail checking every 5 minutes - every so often it rejects my password and makes me type it and all is well again. Every couple days, unless I shut down the mail client for an hour or so (which I rarely do - 2GB of RAM on a Leo box is plenty for me to leave everything I use running and in RAM so that it's instant when I click the Dock icon to get me a window...browsers, FTP client, MSWord - EVERYTHING that doesn't quit when you close the window).
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: OS X Email Issue

Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:13 pm

Yeah on my Qwest DSL on a Netgear W54 I will occasionally get this warning. I usually select the most-specific smtp and it works just fine after that. Not sure why it does that but it's only happens at random and seldomly.