iPhone Bluetooth Syncing/Communication

From OSX to iPods, iTunes to Mac Minis, and all other things Apple.

Moderators: David, Thresher

iPhone Bluetooth Syncing/Communication

Postposted on Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:37 pm

If I had a USB bluetooth adapter on my desktop... I would presumably be able to see my iPhone 3G. Is there anything at all that you can do with your iPhone when you see it through a bluetooth adapter on your computer (i.e. syncing via iTunes, transferring files, etc.) ... or has apple blocked the capability to do anything of this sort ?
Dell XPS Gen 5. Intel 955X Express. Pentium D 830 (3.0 Ghz). 4Gb DDR-677 Corsair. Sapphire Radeon HD 4650. Audigy 2zs. Seagate 500Gb, 160Gb. Leadtek WinFast TV200XP Deluxe.
rogelio
Gerbil Elite

Re: iPhone Bluetooth Syncing/Communication

Postposted on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:45 pm

rogelio wrote:or has apple blocked the capability to do anything of this sort ?

Sadly, yes. Bluetooth can be used for headphones/headsets, and that's it. :-?
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals
SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Postposted on Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:27 pm

isn't Bluetooth 2.0+EDR only about 2mbit? Not exactly speeds I'd like for syncing anyway. Especially if I'm putting music or video on it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:33 pm

edit, i have no idea
I7 3820, 16 GB of ram, 240 gig corsiar nuetron, gtx 560 ti, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w
128 GB surface pro
thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:34 am

Bluetooth on the iPhone is merely for pairing up with BT headsets. Other functions are blocked. Including swapping data with other BT compatible devices.
lordT
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:26 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:isn't Bluetooth 2.0+EDR only about 2mbit? Not exactly speeds I'd like for syncing anyway. Especially if I'm putting music or video on it.
2.0+EDR is just the speeds that the connection is capable of. The phone needs to support the various Bluetooth profiles in order get the additional features, like exchanging files/contacts. Looks like the iPhone 3G only has support from A2DP, HFP (for use in cars), and HSP profiles. Really useful ones like OPP (OBEX, for transferring files) and DUN (for tethering) are either locked or non-existent.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:isn't Bluetooth 2.0+EDR only about 2mbit? Not exactly speeds I'd like for syncing anyway. Especially if I'm putting music or video on it.
2.0+EDR is just the speeds that the connection is capable of. The phone needs to support the various Bluetooth profiles in order get the additional features, like exchanging files/contacts. Looks like the iPhone 3G only has support from A2DP, HFP (for use in cars), and HSP profiles. Really useful ones like OPP (OBEX, for transferring files) and DUN (for tethering) are either locked or non-existent.

I'm pretty sure A2DP is not supported by the iPhones.
FunkeeC
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:06 pm

FunkeeC wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

I'm pretty sure A2DP is not supported by the iPhones.

You are right! :oops: If you play with Bluetooth a lot then the iPhone is not for you. :-?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Return to Apple Sanctuary