Anyone know how to add a drive in an Apple environment?

From OSX to iPods, iTunes to Mac Minis, and all other things Apple.

Moderators: David, Thresher

Anyone know how to add a drive in an Apple environment?

Postposted on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:10 am

Okay, so I was doing a couple edits in "New hard drive? Read this first."

It's been up for a while and I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how to add a brand, spanking, new hard drive in an Apple environment. I assume there's a step to format the drive at the very least.

Bueller?
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.
titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Anyone know how to add a drive in an Apple environment?

Postposted on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:15 am

Not really sure what you're asking - are you trying to add a new HDD to a Mac? (edit: nevermind, that's what you're asking)

Usually on first boot of a brand-new drive, OS X says "oh, hey, you added a new drive - what do you want to do?" and you have choices of initialize, eject, and ignore. If you eject, then if the drive is hot-swappable you can remove it. If you initialize it, it'll format it 1 partition with HFS+, with or without journaling, MS-DOS (FAT32), or the Unix file system (UFS). If you Ignore, you can then launch Disk Utility and partition it however you want. Regardless of how you initialize/partition, it'll auto-mount the partitions. If you want to unmount one or more partitions, drag them to the trash can (which turns into an eject symbol). Ejected disks can be re-mounted in Disk Utility by highlighting the disk/partition and clickign the Mount button.

The big thing is if you replace the boot drive on a Mac - in that case, you'll boot from your OS X disc, then once the installer is loaded, go to Utilities -> Disk Utility and then partition/format it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:39 am

Damn, i saw this on the front page and was about to write the whole procedure but then noticed derFunk's post and well, he's coved all bases :)
Well done !

Adi
adisor19
Gerbil First Class
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:41 am

adisor19 wrote:Damn, i saw this on the front page and was about to write the whole procedure but then noticed derFunk's post and well, he's coved all bases :)
Well done !

Adi

I added the instructions to the HOWTO. I would love some feedback on the instructions I wrote up.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.
titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:44 am

One thing I'd add is that if you want to use a partition for Time Machine, that partition *has* to be HFS+. Not sure why you'd use an internal drive for Time Machine though. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:36 am

derFunkenstein wrote:One thing I'd add is that if you want to use a partition for Time Machine, that partition *has* to be HFS+. Not sure why you'd use an internal drive for Time Machine though. :lol:

I didn't think you COULD use an internal drive for Time Machine. Interesting.
Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:56 am

Maybe it's because I had AHCI enabled on a Hackintosh, but any fresh Leopard install I had back in The Day wanted to use my Windows disk as Time Machine on first boot.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Return to Apple Sanctuary