DNS Issues

From OSX to iPods, iTunes to Mac Minis, and all other things Apple.

Moderators: David, Thresher

DNS Issues

Postposted on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:11 pm

I'm having a strange issue with a MAC running 10.5.5. A user is receiving 2 DNS entries which are 85.255.116.55 and 85.255.112.154. In the network properties they show up as being greyed out. I manually added the proper dns address. At first I thought it was a rogue dhcp server but when they renew the dhcp lease they receive the correct ip, subnet and gateway. The DHCP server has the right settings. I attempted to edit the resolv.conf but I believe it will be overwritten the next time they boot. Any ideas? When I look up these 2 servers I get a lot of info related to a windows browser hijacker. According to the user, they still appear even when they bring the MAC home and have it on their home network.
| May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house |
dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: DNS Issues

Postposted on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:51 pm

After some more research I stumbled upon the DNS changing virus that was in the wild about a year or so ago. This did not show any signs of it since there were no internet plugin settings and there were no cron jobs. I found a utility that looks for this and it removed it. So far so good.
| May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house |
dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Return to Apple Sanctuary