Umm WOW

From OSX to iPods, iTunes to Mac Minis, and all other things Apple.

Moderators: David, Thresher

Umm WOW

Postposted on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:12 am

Eleven years ago, Michael Dell, CEO of Austin, TX-based Dell Computers was asked what he would do if he were CEO of Apple Computers. His answer: “I’d shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders.”

t’s hard to know what Steve Jobs would say if he were asked the same question today, because he rarely speaks to the press. But if he wanted to, he could do the very same thing for Dell, Inc. shareholders tomorrow and still have about $10 billion left in the bank.

Fortune
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Re: Umm WOW

Postposted on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:15 am

Yeah, the last couple years that quote has probably come to haunt Mr. Dell.

I'm not sure it's a terribly good idea, though. But it's amusing to think about...buy it, shut it down, give the money back to the shareholders...:lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:27 am

Can you imagine? What a vacuum that would leave.

Millions of people would suddenly have their support contracts voided. Thousands of I/T professionals would get into work the next day and not be able to get parts replaced under warranty. Hundreds of internet fanboys would throw themselves from the tops of their Optiplex towers.
Your ideas intrigue me; I would like to purchase stock in your company.
eitje
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:57 am

eitje wrote:Millions of people would suddenly have their support contracts voided. Thousands of I/T professionals would get into work the next day and not be able to get parts replaced under warranty.
And the next step for those millions of people and thousands of IT professionals? Call their lawyers. It's a good thing Apple would have billions left over because they'd need it to pay for legal representation and class action verdicts. In practice, of course, buying and "shutting down" a company doesn't end your liabilities (financial or legal) -- just ask JP Morgan Chase about Washington Mutual or Bear Stearns -- and Apple would be on the hook to see through those service contracts (which would certainly be cheaper than voiding them and dealing with the fallout). In practice "shutting down" Dell would take years as those loose ends are wound up.

And yeah, it would leave a vacuum in the market but that would be quickly filled by HP, Lenovo, and others.
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:34 am

Look at the link and check comments. Love those Apple zealots. Not that I'm a big fan of Dell or anything. In fact, if both of these got bought out and closed it would make me pretty happy.
Synchromesh
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:36 am

UberGerbil wrote:it would leave a vacuum in the market but that would be quickly filled by HP, Lenovo, and others.

What about the Apple clones? Wouldn't they (happily) step in?
GA-EP45-DS3R · E8500@3.8 · Scythe Ninja+ · 8GB G.Skill DDR2-800 · MSI TwinFrozr HD7850 · Corsair VX450 · Antec Solo
180GB i520 SSD · WD1002FAEX · Plextor PX-755SA · HP ZR24w · Intel EXPI9301CT · X-Fi XtremeGamer · Win7/Mint
nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:05 am

DaveG wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:it would leave a vacuum in the market but that would be quickly filled by HP, Lenovo, and others.
What about the Apple clones? Wouldn't they (happily) step in?
Huh? We were talking about Apple buying Dell and shutting it (Dell) down, in an amusing reversal of Michael Dell's comments (a possibility which reflects the relative movement of their stock prices in the time since he made them).
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:07 am

they'd have to be sanctioned and not get sued into oblivion like they're trying to do with PsyStar.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:57 am

UberGerbil wrote:Huh?

D'oh!!! *slaps forehead*
GA-EP45-DS3R · E8500@3.8 · Scythe Ninja+ · 8GB G.Skill DDR2-800 · MSI TwinFrozr HD7850 · Corsair VX450 · Antec Solo
180GB i520 SSD · WD1002FAEX · Plextor PX-755SA · HP ZR24w · Intel EXPI9301CT · X-Fi XtremeGamer · Win7/Mint
nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Return to Apple Sanctuary