obscure Leopard features and tips

From OSX to iPods, iTunes to Mac Minis, and all other things Apple.

Moderators: David, Thresher

obscure Leopard features and tips

Postposted on Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:45 am

Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-e016dx. AMD A8-5550M, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8550G integrated video, 17.3" display, 1600*900 (HD+) resolution, SD card reader, Windows 8.1 (DL Classic Shell)
riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Re: obscure Leopard features and tips

Postposted on Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:25 pm

some of this was actually pretty useful. I knew pretty much everything that I'd find useful already (I don't really care about tabbed terminal windows, though I know someone does), but it's a nice resource.

10.5.6 is out today, btw. Remember to disconnect your iPod when you update. At least in my case, my charging iPod totally **** up booting back into the OS (it reboots twice, so don't be alarmed)...I got stuck on a blue screen with no mouse pointer until I removed the iPod, and then it happened to get started. Weird.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:08 pm

Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-e016dx. AMD A8-5550M, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8550G integrated video, 17.3" display, 1600*900 (HD+) resolution, SD card reader, Windows 8.1 (DL Classic Shell)
riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:11 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:some of this was actually pretty useful. I knew pretty much everything that I'd find useful already (I don't really care about tabbed terminal windows, though I know someone does), but it's a nice resource.

10.5.6 is out today, btw. Remember to disconnect your iPod when you update. At least in my case, my charging iPod totally **** up booting back into the OS (it reboots twice, so don't be alarmed)...I got stuck on a blue screen with no mouse pointer until I removed the iPod, and then it happened to get started. Weird.

Yeah uh, they forgot to mention a feature that I overlooked FOR MONTHS and now quite frankly love it to bits: Smart Folders in the Finder side window. Maybe this was first implemented in Tiger... idk. The defaults like "Today" and "Yesterday" allow me to, say, save a .doc file and quit. Then check "Today." The file I just saved is the first file in that list, and I drag that file into a flash drive. Hassle free recent file finding.

Yeah and as for 10.5.6 ... I don't care about MobileMe so much just update the look of OS X so it can compete visually with Vista/Windows 7. Gimme back my transparency! :evil: :evil: :evil:

/done thread-jack.
ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:24 am

riviera74 wrote:another tip, this time featuring your iPod vs iTunes: http://www.tuaw.com/2008/12/11/first-look-tuneup-for-mac-now-ready-to-tackle-your-itunes-disor/

Ugh, I just did a ton of that stuff by hand, that would have been really useful. :lol:

ssidbroadcast, smart folders *could* be on the sidebar in Tiger, but it wasn't really an announcement - you could make a smart folder in your home folder and you could drag it to the sidebar, because smart folders were a feature and the customizable sidebar was a feature. They were just two great tastes that didn't necessarily taste great together until someone on the Finder team noticed that iTunes had the same concept (smart playlists). Then there was a Quick Tip of the Week after Leopard came out that show you the default ones and also show that you can drag more there.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:38 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:10.5.6 is out today, btw. Remember to disconnect your iPod when you update. At least in my case, my charging iPod totally **** up booting back into the OS (it reboots twice, so don't be alarmed)...I got stuck on a blue screen with no mouse pointer until I removed the iPod, and then it happened to get started. Weird.

it doesn't seem to be just you

http://www.informationweek.com/news/har ... =212500729

informationweek wrote:Others reported that installation of the update caused problems with Bluetooth connections, the Safari Web browser, sound settings, energy-saving settings, and a host of other Mac features.

Apple on Monday cautioned users to proceed cautiously with the update. "You may experience unexpected results if you have third-party system software modifications installed, or if you have modified the operating system through other means," Apple said in a note on its Web site.

Users could also have trouble "if you have moved applications from their default locations," Apple said. The free download for existing Leopard users was supposed to offer a wealth of performance, convenience, and security updates.

Stevie wrote:It just works!
tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:42 pm

i ain't got no third party nothing installed, in terms of system add-ons or haxies. I saw in Ars forums that other folks with iPods connected during the update's install had some odd startups, too. I'ts not a problem now; I just rebooted because I installed something else and it came right up...it was just a one-time oddity.

Oh, and that whole "it just works" thing? You sounded like Meadows for a second there. I thought you were better than that. I'm bitterly disappointed. :(
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:55 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:Oh, and that whole "it just works" thing? You sounded like Meadows for a second there. I thought you were better than that. I'm bitterly disappointed. :(

Your right, I should have put Adi not Stevie. I don't think Steve believes OSX is perfect. :lol:

It's examples like this that show Apple is really no better then any other software company, but really why should they be they get employees from the same job pool.
tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:06 pm

same pool...India? ;)
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:07 pm

And China plus others I'm sure.
tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Return to Apple Sanctuary