Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

iCal widget?

Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:51 pm

Hey guys,

Let's say you've just got off the phone with a potential employer, and you need to write down information regarding a job interview. Trivial yet important stuff like the address of the place, date of the appointment, etc etc. Now, yeah, normally one would would take the time to launch iCal and add all this stuff in the To Do section, but honestly that seems like too much of a hassle. I tried Mail's To Do/Note system and the way it treats it as a List View is a serious PITA :evil: . What were they thinking?

Anyone here who is a highly organized OS X user got any tips on keeping track of your appointments? I searched for an iCal Widget where I could quickly just leave a name, date/time, place but it doesn't exist! Is Apple daring me to learn Dashcode just so I can make something they should've had provided to me already!! Are they calling me out!! :x

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: iCal widget?

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:22 pm

Use Spaces, assign a Space to Stickies, leave stickies running and use.
Or leave iCal running. What's the point in closing it?
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Stickies widget to jot it down, then create a regular iCal appt. Seems to work for me, and it's on stickies until I say it's not. Since I look at the weather every morning, I'm sure I'll see it should I forget to create the appt.

iCal is launch on login, auto-hide in my Login Items.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:55 pm

Yeah I use Stickies in my dashboard for that sortof stuff but guys... GUYS... ... these are all lame solutions! Copy+Paste and plug into iCal manually?! Balderdash.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:07 pm

Bluetooth headset + iPhone + Cal app + MobileMe = info is on all of my Macs/PCs and online within seconds.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:18 pm

^ That's not really what he's asking. He's trying to find a quick way to get basic info into an appointment, and my answer was to quit trying and transfer it later. :p

In another vein: my wife uses Entourage for email and contacts, but prefers iCal for calendaring (she hates that My Day included with Office 2008). Is there a way to get Entourage to pass iCal invitations off to iCal rather than add them to Entourage's calendar? I generally don't care for Office 2008 and use it only to open work-related MSOffice files (thankfully home version allows for 3 concurrent computers), so I have no idea. I like OS X's included apps for PIM and do the brunt of my personal word processing/spreadsheet work in OOo3.

Maybe this should be iCal Super Thread. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

MacUser
Gerbil

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:10 pm

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:15 pm

oh, that's AWESOME. Great link, MacUser. Welcome to the forums. :)

Convert
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:36 pm

Wow, thanks!

As derFunk said, welcome!
Tachyonic Karma: Future decisions traveling backwards in time to smite you now.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:14 am

Please Thresher add this app to the "Must Have" list. This thing is sufficient!

newwind
Gerbil

Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:47 am

Wow amazing app. Thank you very much.