Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

MacBook Pro wireless connectivity

Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:24 am

This issue has been happening even before yesterday's updates. My wireless connectivity has been wonky. By that I mean some days I have no problems connecting to my home network and/or wifi hotspots. Other days I cannot stay connected.

I am scratching my head on this? Searching for the issue seems to bring up a whole line of things to try but none of them seem to be the cure, and honestly I have tried almost everything.

So does anyone have this issue? Does anyone have something Obscure to try? This issue is so frustrating to me that I am willing to do anything.

Oh and one things I have done was reinstall OSX. I thought this would fix but it hasnt. Which leads me to think its a HW issue, but then again I would think that I couldnt connect at all if it was. :-?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

vnvnvn2000
Gerbil In Training

Re: MacBook Pro wireless connectivity

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Just to make that clear: if your network does not have any encryption (WPA or WEP, for example) then yes, your MBP will be sending unencrypted data. This is the case with any wireless connection on any flavor of machine, so long as the connection is lacking in security. If you control the router, put up security. If you don't, don't send important information over it.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Well, it looks like we've been spammed...

But I have a potential answer to the question, which is to try restarting the router. I have this issue on-campus sometimes and moving to a different router or restarting the one I'm using usually seems to fix it.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:06 pm

Yeah that was the first place I looked to. I seem to get good connectivity when just surfing the net its when I use software update that things go kaput. :-?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:09 pm

Well if you've limited it to Software Update, have you looked in /Library/Updates for some broken packages or something?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:34 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Well if you've limited it to Software Update, have you looked in /Library/Updates for some broken packages or something?

I found a post that said remove a certain file there and I did but it didnt work. Is there something else I should look for?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:43 pm

well there was one particular corrupted download of the 10.5.6 combo update, and that's probably what you're referring to. I was just thinking if it choked, empty the folder entirely and see if it'll download.

One thing I've noticed is the more software I install, the slower it gets checking for updates - real slow, like 5-minute slow. But I've got a ton of Apple software installed - iLife 09, iWork 09, Logic Express, a couple of Jam Packs, Safari 4 beta...all that stuff takes a while to poke through.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:27 am

I will check it out when I get home. I wonder if its good practice to routinely clean out that folder. (If it is I am a n00b)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:33 am

It should clean itself out; I would not be surprised if it was empty. But if there's a bad download, it might explain why Software Update is blowing up on you.