Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Walkintarget
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: A fresh look at the Hackintosh.

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:32 pm

I have a crapload of PCs sitting around doing nothing, so I think I may check out what the other side has to offer. As much as I make fun of the Apple herd, I still need to know about it for work purposes. Keep your friends close and your Apple friends closer, yanno ?
AMD Ryzen R5 2600x, Asus Prime x470 Pro, Sapphire Nitro Fury 4GB, HP EX920 512GB NVMe SSD, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 4TB WD Red HDD, Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Ed, Win 10 Pro

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:17 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Also, I should note that any instructions I've linked here in the past are extra-over-complicated compared to MultiBeast and iBoot.

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html

Especially if you were to happen to have a Socket 1156 board made by Gigabyte, but even if you don't it's still much easier to do it this way.

I decided to buy a large HD to try this. Is any Mac hardware, like their backward mouse for example, necessary to make it work?

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:41 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Is any Mac hardware, like their backward mouse for example, necessary to make it work?

Any mouse will work with OS X as far as standard functionality is concerned. Logitech has their own OS X mouse software and there are third party software packages available (SteerMouse) that add additional functionality.

For any external drives that you plan on using between Windows and OS X I recommend that you format them as exFAT.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:50 pm

I was hoping I could merely save things I desire to a network share if I can get that working.

I also saw a complaint on Newegg about the drive I bought and its "intellipark" feature causing problems in Linux. I hope that's not true, but if so and it has problems in OS X I may have to put the OS X install on another drive. Which would be irksome.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:31 pm

My Caviar Black had a similar issue, but in the Energy Saver preferences, there's an option to not allow drives to spin down which fixed it. Not an issue for me because the machine is only on when it's in use, but if you want to allow the computer to sleep on its own it probably gets in the way.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:29 pm

That is one thing that will probably be a problem if I ever get this thing up and running: that I won't have any reference for the OS other than what I can find online (with the exception of what's built in). Lots of videos at Apple's site, though I'll have to install a Quicktime player to see them, and some writing which makes assumptions... oh well.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:26 pm

Welp, I tried the tonymacx86 thing and it didn't work for me right off, so it looks like I'll be reading through the forums there to see what I can find out. Considering how long the thing piddles around reading the OS DVD I'd've thought it would've been doing something more than waiting around to tell me to restart the system with no other information. I suppose they don't want to make it easy to figure out the incompatibilities.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:17 pm

Use verbose mode. From the iBoot menu, highlight your DVD and then type -v and hit enter. Now you'll see more text than you ever wanted.

It's probably the Radeon 3850. Those things were a b to get working right in OS X. I found that out the hard way.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:29 pm

The first time I ran iBoot (or I think it was actually the OS X DVD afterwards) it showed me a fair amount of text, but all times after that, nothing.

My system:
i7 930
4 GB RAM temporarily (annoying requirement, that)
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR mobo
Gigabyte GTS 450
the WD 2 TB drive linked above (happens to be WD2002FAEX, which differs from the Newegg info, having twice the cache and SATA speed).

If I were using a Radeon I'd have tried the Lion version. :wink:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:53 am

If you're using a Fermi card, you'll want to also do safe mode

-x -v

And you'll need to keep using that til you get the official 10.6.8 Fermi drivers installed. They're in the downloads section of tonymacx86.com.

Or you may have better luck just installing Lion.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:15 am

I already tried -x, and didn't get anywhere. I'll try it with -v and see what it shows.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:34 pm

Ragnar Dan wrote:
4 GB RAM temporarily (annoying requirement, that)

What requirement? I got mine up and running last night on the system in my sig (on a spare 500gb WD Black though), my issues:

- didn't like o/c system - FIXED
- no sound (just need to try other kext)
- applied NVidia driver, borked the system, gotta safe mode and edit a couple files and I should be good.

If its somewhat stable, I'll upgrade to Lion.
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:56 pm

iBoot says you should bring your system down to 4GB or less until you complete installation.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:47 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
iBoot says you should bring your system down to 4GB or less until you complete installation.

Not always required. I'd suggest starting with the normal amount, and making the drop to 4GB only if you have issues preventing install.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:16 pm

Ah. I've always just automatically brought it down to 4GB and go back to 8GB upon completion.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Well that's odd. I'm in the middle of this thing now, and instead of the PCIRootUID= part, I left that out, and this time just entering "-x -v" seems to have gotten me farther. BTW I am using more RAM this time.

But not very much farther. I have a window where I can "Use English for the main language", but when I try to make a different choice, it doesn't move the highlight, and while I have a mouse cursor, it won't let me do anything like clicking on the little "-->" circle on the bottom right of the window and move along. Further, I can only make my Caps Lock light light up. The other 2 don't respond. Now, maybe they're just trying to make sure you're not diverted some other way or some such thing, but I'm stuck anyway.

Maybe I'll try the 4 GB RAM thing again.

Edit: Er, check that. Now it's moved on for some reason. More as I progress. :D

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:27 pm

I ended up starting from scratch, got her patched to 10.6.8, waiting on Lion download now.. slow for some reason.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:34 pm

Mine seems to be stuck on the install. It claimed "About 31 minutes" remaining, and has sat there doing nothing but every once in a great while flashing the HD light, for over an hour. Maybe Apple Time is measured differently. :roll:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:40 pm

num lock and scroll lock lights never work for me, either. Further, last time i installed I couldn't rename my partition because my keyboard didn't work AT ALL. First boot into the OS gave me a dialog asking me to help identify what kind of keyboard I have and it worked great after that.

Not sure what the stalling is all about, though. Is this a Snow Leopard DVD, Dan?

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:02 pm

Yep Snow Leopard. I did get about 5 screens full of text before the install thing. After that failed, I tested a different video card in Windows (7) and that wouldn't detect it as anything other than a VGA card for some reason. So maybe tonight was just a bad night for me. I should probably try this on the weekend when I'm less fatigued, perhaps.

I also noticed the Apple partitioning put 128 MB partitions between the other ones. I don't know whether that's normal or goofed up, but the waste bothers me.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:36 am

I fell asleep, so no time to install Lion..
I've been following the guide on Lifehacker btw. So far, used Multibeast just for the bootloader and LAN install.

Tonite I will get Lion done, then tackle graphics and sound.. my Xonar DX is not happy with me lol.. I hope there's not the same amount of noise on the onboard as the last time I tried using it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:50 am

Ragnar Dan wrote:
I also noticed the Apple partitioning put 128 MB partitions between the other ones. I don't know whether that's normal or goofed up, but the waste bothers me.

It's an EFI partition that on a real Mac would get some pre-boot files, much like the 100MB System Exclusive partition that Windows 7 creates on a fresh drive/fresh install.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:55 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:

It's an EFI partition that on a real Mac would get some pre-boot files, much like the 100MB System Exclusive partition that Windows 7 creates on a fresh drive/fresh install.

No, I meant the other partitions it created. Look:Image
The first one is the EFI parition, which I expected. The others after the first 465.75 GB partition, also made by Apple's partitioning utility, I didn't choose or expect. I expected a large ~1397 GB area that was unpartitioned or something similar. But even making as many 500 GB (not GiB) partitions as it could doesn't really bother me. I just wonder what the four 128 MB "unallocated" ones are about.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:02 pm

That's a completely normal Apple GUID partition layout. You're actually seeing the MBR-compatibility mode partition listing, which isn't exactly 1:1 to the GPT layout.

128MB buffers between partitions is part of the hybrid MBR partitioning, so that there's a safety margin between any partitions made on the GPT/EFI side versus the MBR-compatibility listing.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:20 pm

I realize I haven't been keeping up with GPT / disk stuff in general, but it's odd to me that my Windows OS doesn't seem capable of doing anything with those partitions except deleting them. I expected to be able to format them and use them, since they're mostly for Windows. I'm dedicating only 500 GB to OS X. And even that is probably more than I need.

Thanks for the info., though. :)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:15 pm

Wow, that's kinda strange. I never looked at my HDD in Windows before, but it surely does seem wasteful.

I spent a chunk of my vacation day downloading Lion from the Mac App Store and upgrading my Hackintosh and then installing Pro Tools 9. I had no trouble, but I have supremely supported hardware:

Core 2 Duo E6600
Gigabyte P45 something-or-other (the board in the OP from a long while back)
8GB DDR2
GeForce 8800GT
SATA HDD + DVD-RW

The biggest trouble was installing PT9 and some kext giving me fits. The actual installation using the Mac App Store download and the xMove utility was brainless and painless. I know that's much help or comfort to Ragnar Dan. :(

The scrolling-down-scrolls-up thing is still off-putting, but I found the preference to fix that. I'm still not convinced I like Lion but oh well - there it is.
Last edited by derFunkenstein on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Well, I did a bit more testing, culminating in yesterday's failure. I saw the -x -v thing give me failures including kernel panics, and that does not exactly inspire confidence. The last time I did it, I let it sit at the installation screen for about 4 hours instead of the claimed 31 minutes, and it never budged any farther.

So there's something else that I have to change. I may try the 8800 GT video card next time to make sure that part works. After that, though, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Nothing that seems to work works very well, from what I can tell. The language choice window, for example, never moves the highlighting, but it did appear to choose German once when I clicked on that. Buggy, though. It didn't evidence having chosen that, and I can never tell that it's accepting my choice until the next screen appears. I think my mobo is... somewhat less than ideal as a choice. I'm still considering buying the mobo for the Intel 6400 dual core I have. Though I'll have to find some place to put it.

And I still haven't figured out how to make that 2 TB HD work for Windows.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:23 am

I'm going to retry on a better supported MB.. I'll format a different machine for the kids, and steal their E6600, pick up one of those Gigabyte boards.. I had great luck in the past with those and Kakewalk.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:16 am

If you want something very spry, substituting a Gigabyte H67 board for the Asus one in the Econobox and getting a compiled DSDT.aml from tonymacx86 would make for one super-speedy Hackintosh. The 6000-series Radeons are supposed to be very well supported, though I haven't actually tried it myself.

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:33 am

yeah, looking at that board, and maybe an i5.. I have a spare 9600GT and GTX460.. custom file wouldn't be required for Kakewalk, just multibeast for the kexts.

I may also have a EP45 board running my server with a Q9450, if thats the case I can move stuff around, grab that for the hackintosh.. too many choices lol