Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Apple Store Customer Support is A++

Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:58 am

So I had a problem with my iPhone 3GS on Saturday night. Not sure what happened really. The battery was kind of low, so I left it in the car to charge. I wasn't sure if the car (2010 Ford Focus with SYNC) actually kept power on after the car was off like all my VW's have done, but it wasn't going to do me any good to carry a dead iPhone in a concert. Come out some hours later, didn't even look at the phone. Drove the hour home from Philly and take the phone inside where I proceed to check for anything. Phone is dead. Won't hard boot, won't charge, won't enter DFU mode, nothing. I'm not sure what happened, it was pretty cold Sat night (10-12F) so maybe that had something to do with it, but thats not the point.

I get online, make an appointment at the Apple Store for Sunday at 1PM and goto bed. So 1PM rolls around, and I am waiting at the Apple Store in King of Prussia, PA (about a 30 minute drive from home, but .5 miles from work). They call my name, I explain to the 'genius' behind the counter my issue. Tell him I tried to hard boot, I tried to DFU, tried sacrificing a goat, nothing worked. He goes 'Oh... OK.' and proceeds to merely check the headphone jack and dock connector for the water damage stickers and then prints out a paper, has me sign and initial it. He then puts my SIM in a new phone and hands me it and says 'Have a good day!' and that was that. Most painless tech support/customer service encounter I've ever had. Couldn't be happier with the service.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Apple Store Customer Support is A++

Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:22 am

This is why they charge a premium. This is why they have loyal customers. If you take care of your base, they'll take care of you.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:12 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
This is why they charge a premium. This is why they have loyal customers. If you take care of your base, they'll take care of you.

Ditto. But they're not always peaches and cream. If you have water damage (or they think you do) they will treat like a bitch.

Adaptive
Gerbil

Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:20 am

Synchromesh wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Ditto. But they're not always peaches and cream. If you have water damage (or they think you do) they will treat like a bitch.

Exactly. I use my iPhone at the gym, and they claimed my iPhone had "water damage" based on the headphone jack. Nevermind that the actual problem is that WIFI and bluetooth have stopped working (see 2000+ post thread on Apple official support forums) for no reason. Finally, the joy of having to drive 1+ hours to Richmond (closest Apple store) to be told there is "water damage" cannot be denied.

Corrado
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:32 pm

Adaptive wrote:
Synchromesh wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Exactly. I use my iPhone at the gym, and they claimed my iPhone had "water damage" based on the headphone jack. Nevermind that the actual problem is that WIFI and bluetooth have stopped working (see 2000+ post thread on Apple official support forums) for no reason. Finally, the joy of having to drive 1+ hours to Richmond (closest Apple store) to be told there is "water damage" cannot be denied.

You can't deny that getting water in the device could stop wifi and bluetooth from working, however. Thats really hairy and you can't fault them for voiding a warranty on a device that has had water damage.

jstern
Gerbil

Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:47 pm

I don't trust the claim that Apple has superior customer service. In other words whether it's good or bad if you've ever come across people who use Mac on the internet they're always going to give it a superior rating even if it was delivered covered in dog doodie. Not knocking it, just going by what I see. If Apple is rated 4 stars, then it's probably 3.

Corrado
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:02 pm

jstern wrote:
I don't trust the claim that Apple has superior customer service. In other words whether it's good or bad if you've ever come across people who use Mac on the internet they're always going to give it a superior rating even if it was delivered covered in dog doodie. Not knocking it, just going by what I see. If Apple is rated 4 stars, then it's probably 3.

Try bringing your HP back to Best Buy and asking them how to make a DVD. They would laugh at you and tell you to get out. However, while I was there, an elderly man came in with his MacBook Pro and said he wasn't sure how to create a DVD slideshow of photos from his family's recent trip to France. The so-called Genius sat down with him, booted up the machine and proceeded to walk him through how to do it, and then left a text document on the desktop for him with a rough outline of the steps so he could use it as reference when he got home... all for FREE. Now, say what you will about Apple customers and the RDF... but THAT is customer service right there.

Taddeusz

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:06 pm

You're always going to find people on both sides. People that have had great service and people that have had terrible service. Makes one wonder what metrics determine how good or bad of service people get? I bet a lot of it has to do with the customer's attitude. For the most part I've generally received pretty good service from companies. I've always gone in with a pretty positive attitude. I've known several people who always have a chip on their shoulder when they call or go in for service as if their owed something. They always seem to get bad service and always complain about it. Not saying that's how it always is but it's a trend that I've noticed.

I assume the little dot for determining whether or not the iPhone has been exposed to water is located in the headphone jack. I can see how working out could expose the headphone jack to enough sweat to change the dot's color. And if you're sweating profusely enough could cause damage to the device itself, particularly due to the salinity of sweat. Certainly nothing to the extent of submersing it, but salt water is salt water. Aside from that, the dot on most phones is located in the battery compartment. Many times underneath the battery. Since the iPhone doesn't have a removable battery they put it in the only place they could. It is also much more exposed to the elements than a standard cell phone. Possibly being triggered by simply having a drink spilled on it. This tells me that people should be extra careful with an iPhone's exposure to water than they would be with any other phone. Might even go to the extent of putting a rubber plug in the headphone jack to prevent exposure from simple spills. Apple must protect itself from people trying to game the system. In the same way you should also protect yourself with simple preventative measures.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:09 pm

jstern wrote:

So your claim is that if someone owns an Apple product they're an Apple fanboy? This is even more crazy than the Apple fanboys.

Anyway... you pay for service. If you pay for a better Dell warranty you'll be better service. For instance, while I've never had an issue with my XPS M1330 I know a guy who had one with his M1530. Since we both have one of the better warranties (I went with two year with accidental, him three year) packages we get premium service. To the point that Dell sent out a technician the day after he called Dell. Tech brought all the needed parts and fixed the laptop on the spot. That's great service. The different? Well you have to wait the next day (not really a big deal, closest Apple Store is hours away from us anyway) and from Dell you actually have a choice if you want to pay that extra bit or not.

bdwilcox
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:11 pm

Corrado wrote:
Try bringing your HP back to Best Buy and asking them how to make a DVD. They would laugh at you and tell you to get out. However, while I was there, an elderly man came in with his MacBook Pro and said he wasn't sure how to create a DVD slideshow of photos from his family's recent trip to France. The so-called Genius sat down with him, booted up the machine and proceeded to walk him through how to do it, and then left a text document on the desktop for him with a rough outline of the steps so he could use it as reference when he got home... all for FREE. Now, say what you will about Apple customers and the RDF... but THAT is customer service right there.

For the premium they charge, they should've also thrown him some oral while he was there.

jstern
Gerbil

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:16 pm

Corrado wrote:
jstern wrote:

I don't have an HP I have a mac, and I made the reasons for what I think clear. I'm not talking about HP customer service, whatever that may be like, I'm talking about Mac users being incapable of saying anything bad about Macs, thus causing me not to really buy into their customer service being above and beyond superior to the customer service of other corporations. I bought a Dell laptop back in 2003, I messed with the Bios and bricked it, Dell sent me a box so that I can place my laptop in there and mail it to them. They fixed it and I got my laptop back right away. I didn't think much of it, but a Mac person with a similar story would go on about how great Apple is and how horrible every single other company is.

Corrado
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:20 pm

bdwilcox wrote:
Corrado wrote:

For the premium they charge, they should've also thrown him some oral while he was there.

For what premium? Compare a 13" adamo to a 13" macbook pro. If you want a cheap **** plastic laptop for $600 thats fine. But for the build quality, price to price, its not much more expensive, if at all.

13" Adamo XPS = $1999
13" MacBook Pro + 128gb SSD to match the base Adamo config = $1849

So uh... wheres the premium? Also consider that the MacBook Pro has a C2D 2.53ghz and the Dell has a 1.4 C2D CULV, and an optical drive is $99 more for the Dell, while built into the Apple.

Adaptive
Gerbil

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Corrado wrote:
You can't deny that getting water in the device could stop wifi and bluetooth from working, however. Thats really hairy and you can't fault them for voiding a warranty on a device that has had water damage.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 0&tstart=0

See thread. I'm sure hundreds/thousands of us all got sweat into our iPhones and made the Broadcom chip fail...That must be it. =)

As for voiding the warranty on water damage. I can safely claim that A) using the iPhone at the gym is "normal use" and is not water damage (it's not as though I held it out in the rain or dropped it in a toilet and B) the iPhone ought to be better designed to not allow debris and water to enter so easily (see threads about dust under the screen, non-existent "water damage," etc., etc.). I can safely say Apple would prefer to deny my warranty claims rather than fix them and blame me on top of it. But I'm used to getting the shaft by now. ;)

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:50 pm

Corrado wrote:
jstern wrote:

Considering how much that older guy paid for the Macbook Pro versus a similarly-equipped HP, Genius should have also polished the customer's shoes with his (Genius') tongue. With that said, I must agree that Apple's employees generally have been helpful and service is pretty good with a few fairly rare exceptions but obviously you get to pay for it.

Otoh, I helped a friend of mine buy a nice used Thinkpad T61. When putting it upside down for examination I found 2 holes without screws underneath the keyboard. What were those? DRAINHOLES. Ie, if you spill liquid on your Thinkpad, unless you spill gallons, it will just sip through those holes and at most ruin your keyboard. On the other hand, what does Apple do when designing unibody Macbooks after white Macbooks? They create sensors that sense if there was any liquid present anywhere inside the machine so they can force you to buy a new system. Catch my drift?

Corrado
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:03 pm

Synchromesh wrote:
Considering how much that older guy paid for the Macbook Pro versus a similarly-equipped HP, Genius should have also polished the customer's shoes with his (Genius') tongue. With that said, I must agree that Apple's employees generally have been helpful and service is pretty good with a few fairly rare exceptions but obviously you get to pay for it.
?

Base config HP Envy 13" - $1499 C2D 1.6ghz, 3GB ram, 250gig mechanical HD, no optical, Radeon 4330
Base config Apple MacBook Pro 13" - $1499 C2D 2.53ghz, 4gb ram, 250gig mechanical HD, 8x DVD-DL RW, GeForce 9400M

Again... what premium?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:07 pm

Try bringing your HP back to Best Buy and asking them how to make a DVD. They would laugh at you and tell you to get out.

For $125, Geek Squad would teach you how to do it wrong. :lol:

Apple's a premium brand, so yeah, you need to compare those machines to the hp Envys and the Dell Studio XPSes of the world. Apple doesn't look so bad next to those.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Corrado
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:15 pm

And for everyone that thinks I'm a fanboy, I have 2 homebuilt PC's running Win7, an MSI Wind netbook on XP, and an Acer Timeline on Win7.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:59 pm

Well you've done some horrible comparisons. No one buys a Adamo XPS. They're simply horribly done computers that Dell has tried to hard to get to look fancy. Look at their Studo XPS line up and the original XPS lineup. Compare to the current pricing of an Adamo, etc. Look at Dell's business line up (Latitudes, not Vostros), etc. Once you include the warranty package of similar service level they even out. Which was my entire point earlier. Apple products carry a premium (on most of their products, the MBP 13 is still one of the best deals available in laptop land) no matter what, you don't get the option. Which is why some people are no passionate on either side. Personally I can't ever bring myself to care about a corporation that much.

Apple's most valuable asset is their brand. That's why it works for them to force this premium to provide premium services. Dell, HP, etc don't have that brand asset. Therefore they must offer options across a wide range. Though I think even HP and Dell would be better served by limiting their base models somewhat in order to make purchases easier for the average customer and provide unique products that are overall better for the customer.

Corrado
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:33 pm

Skrying wrote:
Well you've done some horrible comparisons. No one buys a Adamo XPS. They're simply horribly done computers that Dell has tried to hard to get to look fancy. Look at their Studo XPS line up and the original XPS lineup. Compare to the current pricing of an Adamo, etc. Look at Dell's business line up (Latitudes, not Vostros), etc. Once you include the warranty package of similar service level they even out. Which was my entire point earlier. Apple products carry a premium (on most of their products, the MBP 13 is still one of the best deals available in laptop land) no matter what, you don't get the option. Which is why some people are no passionate on either side. Personally I can't ever bring myself to care about a corporation that much.

Apple's most valuable asset is their brand. That's why it works for them to force this premium to provide premium services. Dell, HP, etc don't have that brand asset. Therefore they must offer options across a wide range. Though I think even HP and Dell would be better served by limiting their base models somewhat in order to make purchases easier for the average customer and provide unique products that are overall better for the customer.

I've done horrible comparisons? The HP Envy looks pretty close to the MacBook to me. And horribly designed or not, the Adamo is the only one with a metal body. The rest are plastic. Compare a Studio XPS to a regular MacBook and they come out about equal as well. What I'm saying is, there IS NO REAL PREMIUM. If you compare apples to apples (pardon the pun), they are equal.

If you compare an M3 to a base model Camry, guess what? You win on price but lose on quality, finish, performance and service. But if you compare the Lexus IS-F to the M3, things start to even out a little bit.

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:40 pm

Corrado wrote:
Synchromesh wrote:
?

Base config HP Envy 13" - $1499 C2D 1.6ghz, 3GB ram, 250gig mechanical HD, no optical, Radeon 4330
Base config Apple MacBook Pro 13" - $1499 C2D 2.53ghz, 4gb ram, 250gig mechanical HD, 8x DVD-DL RW, GeForce 9400M

Again... what premium?

The Apple premium. You didn't mention which MBP. If you take a look at 15s, the HP Envy pwnz the 15in MBP specwise for far less:

Base config HP Envy 15": $1299 i5-430M processor with Turbo Boost up to 2.53 GHz, 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm), 320GB 7200RPM SATA disk, 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5830
Base config MBP 15": $1699 (sic) C2D 2.53, 4GB, 250GB 5400rpm, 9400M

So for $400 less you get far more in similar-sized package. And you can spend that money optioning it up further. Which is why I try to avoid buying Apple stuff new unless severely discounted.

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:44 pm

Corrado wrote:
If you compare an M3 to a base model Camry, guess what? You win on price but lose on quality, finish, performance and service. But if you compare the Lexus IS-F to the M3, things start to even out a little bit.

But you will absolutely win on reliability (no comparison) and when the car is out of warranty, then you will absolutely positively WIN big time on maintenance bills. When I mean win, I mean win THOUSANDS of dollars, not hundreds. It all depends on your budget and purpose. Some people will take their Camry over the M3 even for same money because of practicality/reliability/overall value.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Corrado wrote:
I've done horrible comparisons? The HP Envy looks pretty close to the MacBook to me. And horribly designed or not, the Adamo is the only one with a metal body. The rest are plastic. Compare a Studio XPS to a regular MacBook and they come out about equal as well. What I'm saying is, there IS NO REAL PREMIUM. If you compare apples to apples (pardon the pun), they are equal.

You used the Adamo XPS. The Adamo on the other hand is a more valid comparison, a laptop that now starts at $999. You would never compare an M3 to a Camry because it is extremely rare that real customers would do so, it's a waste of time and the expectations are completely different. The Adamo XPS is a unit that simply won't sell at all, no one wants it at all. Besides the ridiculous price tag for the internals the design of the unit makes it basically unusable.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:07 pm

Corrado wrote:
Synchromesh wrote:

Again... what premium?

The Apple premium. You didn't mention which MBP.

I bolded it for you. There's only one 13" Macbook Pro. You can get two different configs, and he compared the same-priced Macbook Pro to the Envy 13".

The base-config Macbook Pro 15" is a terrible price. No argument from me there. However a huge knock against the Envy is the screen resolution. You have to spend extra $$ if you want better than 1366x768.

However, you can buy the Macbook Pro from Amazon, which for me saves shipping + 8% sales tax. I can't find anywhere to buy the Envy than hp. So if I add the 1920x1080 screen to the Envy, tax + shipping bring it up to $1500 and change. The price is closer, the hp wins, no doubt. I also have to wait for hp to actually build it, which became > 2 weeks. The quickship model is a mystifying $2000, though it's got a Core i7.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:16 pm

Synchromesh wrote:
The Apple premium. You didn't mention which MBP. If you take a look at 15s, the HP Envy pwnz the 15in MBP specwise for far less:

Base config HP Envy 15": $1299 i5-430M processor with Turbo Boost up to 2.53 GHz, 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm), 320GB 7200RPM SATA disk, 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5830
Base config MBP 15": $1699 (sic) C2D 2.53, 4GB, 250GB 5400rpm, 9400M

So for $400 less you get far more in similar-sized package. And you can spend that money optioning it up further. Which is why I try to avoid buying Apple stuff new unless severely discounted.

I thought everybody knew not to buy a Mac this far into its design life. That model hasn't been updated since, what, last June? It'll get an i5 soon enough.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:34 pm

as long as they sell 3M Macs in a quarter I wouldn't count on the portable lineup getting updated any time soon. It's less than alot of people ship, but it's huge for Apple and they're happy to make the premiums.

ericfulmer
Gerbil XP

Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:39 pm

I find that the Apple store is filled with very helpful people who can help you decide which model to buy but beyond that you need to wait, send it off for a week, or buy a new one. Compared to the big-box stores they are pretty good, but you still end up paying or waiting for real technical support. There are simply too few good knowledgable computer shops around these days.
-Eric

Please don't quote me on this.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:12 pm

It's nice service-with-a-smile but is it *really* that special? Don't lots of cell phone carriers swap out SIMs to do replacements?

I also like how a thread about a broken device ends up having arguments about 'paying for quality' :lol:

Taddeusz

Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:38 pm

Adaptive wrote:
Corrado wrote:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 0&tstart=0

See thread. I'm sure hundreds/thousands of us all got sweat into our iPhones and made the Broadcom chip fail...That must be it. =)

As for voiding the warranty on water damage. I can safely claim that A) using the iPhone at the gym is "normal use" and is not water damage (it's not as though I held it out in the rain or dropped it in a toilet and B) the iPhone ought to be better designed to not allow debris and water to enter so easily (see threads about dust under the screen, non-existent "water damage," etc., etc.). I can safely say Apple would prefer to deny my warranty claims rather than fix them and blame me on top of it. But I'm used to getting the shaft by now. ;)

Regardless, the first thing they're going to check is the humidity dot. If the color has turned your warranty has automatically been voided. No matter what stories you have to tell they can only believe the dot. Whether it's really a common problem or not. You've obviously exposed the device to what the dot considers an excessive amount of humidity. That's all there really is to that. If that's truly not the case than you should have been taking better preventative measures to decrease the possibility of accidental exposure. Because obviously, if the dot has changed color it really has been exposed.

Corrado
Topic Author

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:00 pm

Synchromesh wrote:
But you will absolutely win on reliability (no comparison) and when the car is out of warranty, then you will absolutely positively WIN big time on maintenance bills. When I mean win, I mean win THOUSANDS of dollars, not hundreds. It all depends on your budget and purpose. Some people will take their Camry over the M3 even for same money because of practicality/reliability/overall value.

Until your car accelerates out of control and hits a person. </rimshot>

But I digress. My point is that you're right, they are for different markets, which makes the people saying 'well you should compare the all metal, premium macbook pro to the $800 all plastic Studio'. No, you shouldn't. Apple does not have something in that market space unless you're buying a student version of the plain macbook. But when you get that $850 macbook, you get the ability to bring it to the apple store to have trained, certified people work on your laptop for free. Bringing your Dell back to.... oh you have to mail it in, after talking to someone that doesn't speak English as their first language reading from a script. You can bring it back to Best Buy and pay Geek Squad hundreds of dollars to more than likely not fix it properly, or you can take it back to WalMart or Target and have the teenagers that work in the electronics section's eyes glaze over.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Corrado reminded me of something - I've called Apple four or five times in the last 5+ years, and every single time I talked to someone I could understand and didn't have to make them repeat themselves inaudibly quietly six or seven times.