iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

From OSX to iPods, iTunes to Mac Minis, and all other things Apple.

Moderators: David, Thresher

iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:38 pm

Anybody else watching this? For the first time ever, I'm actually interested in an iPhone reveal event. I use my iPod as everything except my phone - mobile gaming, my calendar, mobile email (if I'm at a wifi hotspot), etc.

It looks like they're still not totally opening up multitasking, but the stuff they're opening up should be enough to appease most users. Location, audio, push notifications, background task completion, app idling, etc. I can deal with that.

Folders for your apps is very welcome. I'll have a "games" folder and a "media" folder and such. It's like 1986 all over again.

The media blogs are still ongoing, and I think Ars has the fastest one going right now:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/ ... veblog.ars

Gizmodo is a few minutes behind as far as I can tell.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21259
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:44 pm

Oooh email encryption!

EDIT: Oooh SSL VPN support from Juniper and Cisco.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7144
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:11 pm

I think I just got hosed on multitasking, as the currently-selling 8GB iTouch is the same hardware as the 2G iTouch, which is also excluded.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21259
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:31 pm

No multitasking for me:

iPhone OS 4 Compatibility

iPhone OS 4 will work with iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and the second- and third-generation iPod touch this summer, and with iPad in the fall. Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009).

http://www.apple.com/iphone/preview-iphone-os/
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21259
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:36 pm

**** you, Steve Jobs. So much for hardware cycles. My 1.5 year old 3G doesn't get any multitasking love.
lordT
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7426
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Writing

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:44 pm

lordT wrote:**** you, Steve Jobs. So much for hardware cycles. My 1.5 year old 3G doesn't get any multitasking love.


Gotta love apples incentive to upgrade. :evil:
Bomber
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Littleton, Co

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:38 am

well it's not like they're taking features away, and they're still upgrading the device with the other added features.

They kept saying that the hardware isn't capable of multitasking. I think what they're getting at is that older devices don't have enough memory. The 3GS has 256MB and the 3G has 128MB. The same appears to be true for my 4-month-old iPod Touch.

Here's my take on it (after I've calmed down) - if they thought they could do it well on the 3G and older iPods, I think they'd do it; after all, they still sell those devices new. Strictly speaking, the older designs can probably do, they most likely can't do it well. It's not like RAM is upgradeable in a phone.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21259
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:00 am

I still see that as a fail though. They could have very easily added more ram to the 8 gig ipod touch when it was rereleased. When palm rereleased the pre as the pre plus it doubled the memory. When apple released the ipad with only 256 megs of memory... :cry:
I7 3820, 16 GB of ram, 240 gig corsiar nuetron, gtx 560 ti, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w
128 GB surface pro
thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:35 pm

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:48 am

Palm didn't "rerelease the Pre as the Pre Plus", they put out a new model with extra RAM. That's like saying "When Nintendo re-released the NES as the Super NES" - that doesn't make any sense.

And they did drop the price by 13-14% when the newer iPods came out. ($229 -> $199) I certainly wouldn't expect anything "better" for less money, only to spend less money. And it's not like they're taking features away, like I said.

256MB in the iPad is a whole other issue - that thing should have 512MB regardless and it doesn't.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21259
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:33 am

derFunkenstein wrote:Palm didn't "rerelease the Pre as the Pre Plus", they put out a new model with extra RAM. That's like saying "When Nintendo re-released the NES as the Super NES" - that doesn't make any sense.

And they did drop the price by 13-14% when the newer iPods came out. ($229 -> $199) I certainly wouldn't expect anything "better" for less money, only to spend less money. And it's not like they're taking features away, like I said.

256MB in the iPad is a whole other issue - that thing should have 512MB regardless and it doesn't.


(maybe better example?)

Ehh, differences between the pre and pre plus are miniscule, in most day to day usage you can't tell the difference (well except one has a button). While it might be a different model, the usage happens to be the exact same. Nes/S Nes where vastly different in graphics (and even the architecture was different). Sure I can open all 27 programs on the launcher page with the pre plus (4 3d games, 2d games, and various utilities), but that not exactly normal usage.
Last edited by thecoldanddarkone on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I7 3820, 16 GB of ram, 240 gig corsiar nuetron, gtx 560 ti, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w
128 GB surface pro
thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:35 pm

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:39 am

they are late
emi25
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:18 am

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:59 am

thecoldanddarkone wrote:(maybe better example?)

Ehh, differences between the pre and pre plus are miniscule, in most day to day usage you can't tell the difference (well except one has a button). While it might be a different model, the usage happens to be the exact same. Nes/S Nes where vastly different in graphics (and even the architecture was different). Sure I can open all 27 programs on the launcher page with the pre plus (4 3d games, 2d games, and various utilities), but that not exactly normal usage.

The NES -> SNES comparison has more in common with the iPod Touch or iPhone scenario than you think. The 65c816 in the SNES is a descendant of the 6502 in the NES. Likewise the Samsung-made Cortex A8 in the iPhone 3GS is a descendant of the much slower (at least in terms of MHz and raw processing power) ARM CPU in previous devices. The big divider is the RAM, I think, but the CPU is different enough as well.

You're confusing the marketing with the differences in hardware. Apple calls them all iPod Touches but that doesn't mean they're all that similar in hardware.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21259
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:02 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:256MB in the iPad is a whole other issue - that thing should have 512MB regardless and it doesn't.



WUUUUUTTTT! so how much RAM does the iPhone 3gs have? (heh I have one and never really bothered with the tech stats)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7144
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:46 pm

tanker27 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:256MB in the iPad is a whole other issue - that thing should have 512MB regardless and it doesn't.



WUUUUUTTTT! so how much RAM does the iPhone 3gs have? (heh I have one and never really bothered with the tech stats)


256 megs.
I7 3820, 16 GB of ram, 240 gig corsiar nuetron, gtx 560 ti, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w
128 GB surface pro
thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:35 pm

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:38 pm

I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21259
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:12 pm

/shrug. So if the iPad is roughly based off the 3Gs (or 3d Gen iTouch) I dont see the issue there. Everything runs just fine. Now when Multitasking gets here maybe it will eat into it but from the demos yesterday it seemed to run fine.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7144
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:50 pm

I just feel shafted by Apple's move. Can't they just let the user enable/disable this? 3G and Push massacred my battery life and I was allowed to enable/disable those. For once, just this once, let me decide. :x

Other than multitasking, what does this upgrade bring me? Oh yeah, advertisements and a gaming platform. Thanks but no thanks.
lordT
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7426
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Writing

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:35 pm

lordT wrote:I just feel shafted by Apple's move. Can't they just let the user enable/disable this? 3G and Push massacred my battery life and I was allowed to enable/disable those. For once, just this once, let me decide. :x

That's not Apple's way. On the minus side, this gives the user less options. But on the plus side, stuff from Apple Just Works far more often then stuff from their competitors.
Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 4192
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:59 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:49 pm

lordT wrote:Other than multitasking, what does this upgrade bring me? Oh yeah, advertisements and a gaming platform. Thanks but no thanks.

An enhanced mail app fixing some stuff I've complained about (such as multiple accounts being in a single unified inbox - yay!), folders rather than a gazillion screens to scroll through (I have 7 app screens, that's a bit much), iBooks, and stuff for corporate enterprise (multiple Exchange accounts, which is nice given that my personal stuff syncs via Google's Exchange sync). I'm getting a big pile of stuff out of this and I'm locked out of multitasking as well.

Seriously, I was disappointed, but I've gotten over it already. You probably should do the same - considering your device was designed and released almost 2 years ago, it's reasonable to expect (in the mobile world) that at some point your hardware won't do everything the OS can do.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21259
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:55 pm

It seems like my 32GB Ipod Touch from 2 years ago, which I paid $400 for, gets left behind as well. :cry:
Image
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.
Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3292
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:57 pm
Location: The Smoky Back Room

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:50 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:It seems like my 32GB Ipod Touch from 2 years ago, which I paid $400 for, gets left behind as well. :cry:


ipod touch has always been a second class citizen in the eyes of apple. They have charged ipod users for access to newer versions of iphone OS and cut hardware features to drive more iphone sales. I'm not at all surprised ipod owners get the short end of the stick again
ekul
Gerbil
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:25 pm

Re: iPhone OS 4 liveblogs

Postposted on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:39 am

derFunkenstein wrote:Seriously, I was disappointed, but I've gotten over it already. You probably should do the same - considering your device was designed and released almost 2 years ago, it's reasonable to expect (in the mobile world) that at some point your hardware won't do everything the OS can do.
Yeah, I know but I think I'll need to rant a little more to get it out of my system.
lordT
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7426
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:11 pm
Location: Writing


Return to Apple Sanctuary

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests