The first and only!!!!!!

From OSX to iPods, iTunes to Mac Minis, and all other things Apple.

Moderators: David, Thresher

The first and only!!!!!!

Postposted on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:20 am

I just got an iTouch and am looking for some good GTalk, Office, and other apps. Despite the annoying inability to find reliable reviews for the apps, every single app I check out is the "first and only app" to do a certain feature... But they all claim that for the same features. Has the app store always been this misleading and difficult to navigate?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Re: The first and only!!!!!!

Postposted on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:29 am

Does apple allow refunds?
Looking for Knowledge wrote:When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.
Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:21 pm

I believe you cannot return anything you buy in the app store; you're stuck with it.
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:19 pm

Yeah, that seems to be the case at pretty much any digital distribution channel. So as long as an app doesn't have a "Free" version or a "demo" version, I won't buy the paid version until I've read something about it that I trust from a reliable source.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:45 pm

Is there a thread around here for iPhone/iPod apps? I can't find one, maybe I should start one, 'cause I'd really like to know about some programs.
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:43 am

On android you can get a refund up to 24 hours after purchase. I thought that apple didn't allow that but i wasn't sure.
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.
Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:03 am

It's funny how even around here, there aren't any Mac people coming in to defend the app store. It's a sea of garbage with the occasional good app, and there isn't a single reliable review site. At best, there are incomplete reviews, i.e. the reviewer only uses certain features, so he didn't bother to review the rest. I don't wish to line developer pockets with my experimentation, and so far I'm very unimpressed by how the app store works. The iPod is cool enough, but I got it for free, and I can't see spending money on something that's only /possibly/ useful. I'm glad I got to see it firsthand.
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:41 am

They don't have comments or rating stars either? :-? Although i've toyed with the iphone before i didn't play in it's market much. If their isn't a rating or comment system it sounds like they're intentionally hiding the quality of the apps.
Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:59 am

There is a 'stars' system and a comments/review system, but it's not as trustworthy as a dedicated review. Would you trust all of your computer purchases solely on Newegg customer reviews without checking some review sites first?
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:14 am

Depends on the part. For applications i would.
*edit For applications i do. Never had a single problem with that before. As long as you have a reasonable bs filter to take out the outliers you end up with a reasonable idea of the quality of what you're getting into with quirks that the many reviewers experienced noted. I'd consider that better than a one person review actually.

And software isn't analogous to hardware in this context.
Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:53 am

I love my iPod, but Apple's app store is the most poorly designed, annoying way to shop I have ever experienced. And I've been to Best Buy.
FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:56 pm

I've been to the Best Buy in Decatur (well, Forsyth, right near the hotel I was staying in) and I'm shocked that you wrote that. I mean, yeah, the App Store is rough. But at the BB in Decatur (in June of 2008) I was finding PSP games mixed in with the CDs and video cards mixed into the TVs. I think kids were moving stuff around to get their jollies.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:21 pm

Yeah, the App Store isn't a very good browsing experience. I tend to use Google; there are a lot of good app review sites. The Unofficial Apple Weblog does a lot, Ars Technica does a few, and there are some pretty well-established iPhone sites as well.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals
SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Postposted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:54 pm

I look for external reviews in addition to dev supplied info. iTeleport for iPad is a good example. It got good reviews and the dev has a web product page in addition to the app store page. The shopping experience was painless.

I find the app store pretty fracking awesome.
i7-3770K@4.7 | H100 | P8Z77-V PREMIUM | 16GB | 2 GTX 770 4GB SLI | M500 960GB | EVO 840 250GB | AX850 | Obsidian 550D | R.A.T. 9 | U2713H | U2711
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:30 pm

I'll check out some of those sites, but off the cuff, does anyone have any experience with office suites for iPod (the ones that give you read/write access to .doc, .xls, Google Docs, etc.)? Also, has anyone ever used IM+?
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:44 pm

I'm using DocsToGo to access my spreadsheets and docs. It works well with iDisk and Dropbox.

I use Meebo for IM on my iPhone and BeejiveIM on my iPad.
i7-3770K@4.7 | H100 | P8Z77-V PREMIUM | 16GB | 2 GTX 770 4GB SLI | M500 960GB | EVO 840 250GB | AX850 | Obsidian 550D | R.A.T. 9 | U2713H | U2711
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:45 pm

FireGryphon wrote:I'll check out some of those sites, but off the cuff, does anyone have any experience with office suites for iPod (the ones that give you read/write access to .doc, .xls, Google Docs, etc.)? Also, has anyone ever used IM+?

I've used IM+ (still have it but don't IM much any more) - the most obvious fault is the time it takes to load when a notification comes through on my 3G. Obviously if you have a 3GS or 4 that isn't such a big deal
Phenom II X4 955 BE - 3GB RAM - AMD HD5770 - 640GB WD - Viewsonic 19" - DVDRW - Windows 7
amphibem
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:59 pm

Why would you pay for an IM app when Meebo is free and good enough?

And I'm pretty sure that Google Docs gives you access to Google Docs on the iPhone, doesn't it? ;)
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals
SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Postposted on Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:59 pm

SNM wrote:Why would you pay for an IM app when Meebo is free and good enough?

And I'm pretty sure that Google Docs gives you access to Google Docs on the iPhone, doesn't it? ;)

I'm interested in IM+ because I don't think it requires its own protocol; that is, it just sees if you have an IM and alerts you. I want to use IM functionality in a situation where most chat protocols are blocked, so IM+ looks like it might work.
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:39 pm

SNM wrote:Why would you pay for an IM app when Meebo is free and good enough?

There is no iPad version of Meebo. The fact that you need a Meebo account to use Meebo is another knock against it.

Apps such as GoodReader and DocsToGo have advantages over the stock Google Docs functionality. In addition they allow you to access third party cloud storage products (Dropbox/iDisk)
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:16 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:I've been to the Best Buy in Decatur (well, Forsyth, right near the hotel I was staying in) and I'm shocked that you wrote that. I mean, yeah, the App Store is rough. But at the BB in Decatur (in June of 2008) I was finding PSP games mixed in with the CDs and video cards mixed into the TVs. I think kids were moving stuff around to get their jollies.

Yes, we have the world's worst Best Buy. A great honor.
FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Return to Apple Sanctuary