Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

omg23
Gerbil
Topic Author

Laptop for film school

Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:40 pm

I have joined nyu this fall and I am having a tough time selecting on a laptop. The software that we use here is FCP but we learn AVID during the second year. My options are to take the Mac book pro, because that is what other film students use or figure out another way to do my editing. I never used a Mac in my whole life and was feeling insecure to spend 2k $ blindly because everyone else is doing it. Is there any other way I could get to use both the softwares more efficiently without spending so much money. Looking forward for your suggestions

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: Laptop for film school

Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:46 pm

More than likely NYU can get deep discounts on they MacBook pros they offer. I bet they can even incorporate the purchase of one into your tuition. If it were me and I was a brand new Film/art student I would go with the MBP. However, I would suggest you talk to the existing students about it and see what they suggest. More than likely you will find students that have or are using non-Apple branded HW and are getting by. Dont forget to ask your professors too. But be wary that they themselves might get kickbacks for just suggesting one brand over another. Much like what they get from Book publishers for utilizing one textbook over another.

The last thing I would want you to realize is having a "off" brand may be more trouble than it is worth. For example, you are assigned a group project. 95% of your class utilize MBPs with the said Mac software. You are broken down in groups of 5 and 4 of you have MBPs and the 5th has some FrankenPC. Each of you take a portion of the project to work on and then you all meet to finalize the project as one. Will the data/information/document/ etc transfer from the FrankenPC to the other 4s MBPs, easily? Is the user of said FrankenPC a techie and can make it work seemlessy? Are you? Or will you end up re-writting/re-doing that 5ths members work?

All of this needs to be considered before you make a decision. But if you ask me, I would reply with: "If the majority of Film students at NYU have MacBook Pros then thats what you should go with."

NINJA EDIT: Also I would watch the Mac forums and rumor blogs (macrumors.com) and delay your purchase as long as you can. This is so you can get the latest and greatest and not be caught in a hardware cycle when a refresh is a month out.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

omg23
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:40 pm

Is there no other financially efficient way for me to do my editing :cry: , when do you think will the next version of mac book pro release?

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:33 am

A refurbished Mac Mini and a new monitor. But that's if you have the desk space. I couldn't imagine editing on a laptop... sounds horrible.

omg23
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 am

I have never done editing before neither did I ever have a laptop. Since I am a film student and my course has me traveling all over the place, doing night outs at campus or friends place etc etc I am being forced to buy a laptop. I am just a beginner at this doing lot of work on the laptop for now atleast is going to help me learn. Don't you think?

scpulp
Gerbil First Class

Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:09 am

Honestly, shell out for the MacBook Pro. If everyone's doing FCP and then Avid, then that's what you're going to want to use. I was a jerk when I was in film school; I did all my work on my custom machine at home. But there's a good reason people other than the Apple devoted use the MBP...it's got a fantastic screen for a notebook, and that's going to be a major help.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:24 am

Another vote for the MBP. You're going to film school to learn how to edit and make good films. Not to struggle with the technology to do the same thing as everyone else on a less optimal (software) platform.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

omg23
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:33 am

I never used Mac before is it going to be hard, I just kind of feel insecure putting up so much money for something I have never used. Also keeping in mind that nyu has already squeezed me till the last drop.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:37 am

Its not hard. Its like driving a new car, you'll get used to it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:16 am

So i'm the lone soul suggesting against a mac then. Not only because I hate macs, but because as the OP mentioned tuition has already drained his bank account, and macs are terribly over priced. mind you a little extra effort may be needed to keep your work compatable with every one else's, but if it saves you hundreds of dollars... up to you if that's worth it or not.

plus as every mother has said at one point... if everyone jumps off a cliff...
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:18 am

Every student is stretched to the financial limit when entering school. It happens.

However, there's real value in everyone using the same platform. roont, you're placing zero value in time saved and being able to receive good help. Your fellow students and professors will likely not be able to give you as good of help if you're using Windows. It's just a reality.

In addition I'm not sure why $2000 is what you'd have to spend. That's the tip top end 15" MBP. You could always get the MBP 13" which is considerably cheaper and purchase a monitor. Mobile usage in a pinch and much better real editing environment when at your desk.

Also, you should seriously check into what options you have if you buy through your school. My school offers $200 off the direct from Apple price, they also have a payment program that splits the price across 4 semesters as long as you're in good standing with the financial department. Most schools offer such programs.

mph_Ragnarok
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:53 am

I'm at NYU too !

Hey I work at the BLCC (bobst library computer center) at Lower Level 1 in Bobst library. If you need computer help, come and I'll help you out (or one of the other helpful staff).

There must be a 90% mac user rate at NYU. The aluminum bodies are so much sexier than any other laptop around.

omg23
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:14 pm

Looks like I am MBP bound :(

omg23
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:44 pm

I get a 50$ discount using my student id, how sad is that. I am thinking of getting iWork as pre installed and torrent everything else. I feel weird buying a laptop for editing while buying the software off utorrent

Chun¢
Gerbil XP

Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:59 pm

Isn't Final Cut made by apple? That basically ties you to the mac platform. You could by a cheaper dell, and then install OSX, but that would take some patience, and you'd be missing some stability. It'd easily save you 300+ bucks though.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:14 pm

NYU has a differed payment plan for the purchase of a computer: http://www.bookstores.nyu.edu/computer. ... .plan.html

Also NYU is recommending a Macbook PRO: http://undergraduate.tisch.nyu.edu/obje ... pment.html
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:19 pm

You're not really *buying* anything off of utorrent. And many colleges have campus licenses for the software they teach. Might want to do some research before you put on the eyepatch.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

omg23
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:31 pm

I will place thE order now, I am not going to buy any of the softwares except iWork. So nothing else is pre installed. Just the AppleCare and nothing else. Anything else I should go for?