Apple Support Experiences?

From OSX to iPods, iTunes to Mac Minis, and all other things Apple.

Moderators: David, Thresher

Apple Support Experiences?

Postposted on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:57 am

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has encountered less than impressive email support from Apple? I have a very long story with the main points being -

It took five days for them to resolve a password reset problem
Despite several requests they refused to speak with me over the phone to troubleshoot (which would have resolved the issue in a day)

I just found it very frustrating that a company that makes billions of dollars could not spend a dime making a phone call to one of their customers who owns 2 macbooks, 2 iphones, 2 ipods, and an ipad. I haven't encountered this with any other companies.
daddy03
Gerbil In Training

Re: Apple Support Experiences?

Postposted on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:38 am

You will always find that product support is ALWAYS somewhat spotty.

While I support PC software exclusively, quite a few people have mac who need to run our software and in order to install parallels, vmfusion, or virtual box they need the help of someone from the "genius bar".

Some of the guys seem to be really on top of their game. Others are certainly NOT the bright bulb you expect a genius to be from a "Genius Bar". Some are quite gracious to the fact that the software their customer needs to run is not available as mac software and needs to use windows at least some of the time. Others are kinda stuck up asking someone who has been using a particular program for 20+ years why they don't switch to another provider that makes mac software.

Now as someone who does tech support I have minimum level as expectation when it comes to people who have been using windows for 5+ years.

1 - know how to use the mouse - single click, double click, right click. (it's ok if you don't know WHEN to do these things, I'll tell you)
2 - know how to follow a directory path
3 - know how to copy a file and how to delete a file
4 - know how to copy and paste text, links, etc.
5 - and this is a big one - KNOW HOW TO READ WHAT IS ON YOUR SCREEN

This is not advanced stuff I do not expect someone to know how to register dll's, take ownership of a file, fix file associations, install printers, drivers, end tasks, etc. One of the biggest issues I have is that people cannot even READ. You ask for the error message word for word and they STILL try to paraphrase what they do not understand.

Because often people frustrate the heck out of me (some of my customers are in their 80 to 90's after using a computer for 30 years talk about waxing poetic about their Comodore 64) I prefer to do things via email. Often I come to work with 40 emails waiting for me Monday morning and I have them all hammered out in 2 hours. If I had all 40 people call me it would take me 10 hours minimum to answer every person.

This leads me back to original complaint about then only wanting to use email. Its faster an more efficient for THEM if they are really busy so they will prefer to use it.
I wish to see things not as they are but as they should be.
Aranarth
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:47 am

Did you actually call them? My father in law calls them for support ALL THE TIME and has yet to be told 'fill out the web form, don't call us'. They always answer his questions and do what needs to be done to make him happy...
Having twins has dramatically reduced the time I have to nerd out.
Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:02 am

Given that this is a fresh account, I have to wonder if this is a bit of trolling.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:43 am

Troll post, for sure.

I never worked for apple, but I got fairly far along in the interview process. All I can say without violating NDA is that customer service will basically bend over backwards for you the first time something goes wrong / breaks. If it's just an issue like a password reset, they will continue to do so indefinitely, while they're obviously less willing to give you a third macbook pro after you spill coffee on it (unless it's properly warrantied)
part of their marketing aspect is in their support - they want to create the perception that 'yeah this guy totally hooked me up I couldn't believe it / I dont think he was supposed to'.

"It took five days for them to resolve a password reset problem"
Considering you were corresponding via email, you couldn't have googled this?
I mean there's an Apple KB article on it and everything. And even failing that the second google result tells you how to create a new root account to solve your issue if you don't have an optical drive / second root account / mac OS X CD.
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:51 am

Wow pretty hostile board.

I called customer support and was told they do not provide phone support for itunes issues, which they classified this as. They said they would see if they could make an exception and put me through to a queue where I had to hang up after 20 minutes wait time.

Turned out the problem had to do with something on their end and they had to create a new appleid to resolve the issue. I know how to read my screen and I know how to Google for info. I also spent a bunch of time in their knowledgebase, and I understand efficiencies but while they may be efficient I am wasting time.

Here is the email chain (removed some names).

Welcome to iTunes Store Customer Support. My name is x and I am glad to help you today.

I understand that you would like to reset the password for your account "xxx@gmail.com". I can certainly appreciate how eager you must be to have this issue resolved, and I would be happy to assist you with this today.

x, I can reset the password for you. Before I can do this, however, Apple requires that you provide the following for security reasons:

- the billing address listed on the account
- permission to reset your iTunes Store account's password

...as well as one of the following:

- the last four digits of the credit card used for your iTunes Store account
- or the order number of your most recent purchase
- or the name of any item you've purchased using this account

I look forward for your reply. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

x
iTunes Store/Mac App Store Customer Support

Please Note: I work Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday 11.00 AM - 08.00 PM CST.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. You may receive an AppleCare survey email; any feedback you provide would be greatly appreciated.

First Name : x
Last Name : x
Email : x@gmail.com
Lang_Country : en_US
Product : iTunes Store
Support Subject : Connecting & Downloading
Sub Issue : Password reset not working
GCRM Case ID : 253xxxxx
See additional info below
What device did you use to connect to the store? iPhone
Which operating system is installed? iOS 4.3
What version of iTunes is installed on your computer? iTunes 10.4
Choose the iTunes Store or App Store for your country: United States
Item title:
Order number:
Details:
I just wrote a description of my problem and got timed out after 5 minutes so lost the info.

I have wasted over 3 hours trying to reset my password. I keep getting confirmations and I still cant get in to the app store to BUY A PRODUCT.

Your phone support would not make an exception and let me speak to a live person so I can get this resolved.

It started when I upgraded to 10.5

Dell is far easier to deal with. They never have done this to me.

need my password reset and if apple values customers like me at all I would hope to see something more

to iTunes
I know you are just doing what you were trained to do but do me the courtesy of having someone call me and make sure the problem is resolved while on the phone instead of potentially going back and forth with this.

And completely ignoring the problems, time wasted, and complaint in your reply does not make me "eager" to do any more business with apple. It offends and surprises me that you place 0 value on my business.

iTunes Store

to me
Dear x,

Thank you for contacting iTunes Store Customer Support. My name is x. I understand that you would like to talk to us on the phone. Being a customer myself I can certainly understand your concern for wanting to speak with someone on the phone and I will be happy to assist you.

x, i'm sorry, but the iTunes Store normally doesn't provide assistance by telephone. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have via email about your account, billing issues, downloading items, or iTunes Store content, and I will do my best to resolve this issue for you.

Thanks so much for being a valued iTunes Store customer. If you require further assistance, don't hesitate to contact me, I am only an email away and always here to help. Take care and have a wonderful day! :)

Sincerly,

x

Please note: I work Tuesday-Saturday, 8:00-4:30 ET

to iTunes
x,

You are not an email away. The reply email is the general support email and now I will have to wait another 24 hours. Is your smiley sarcastic? It sure looks like it to me.

My appleid locks me out of everything apple including my developer account, not just itunes. You should know that.

I don't see this as a "normal" issue. I've tried to reset my password 5 times and have wasted several hours on this in order to purchase, monitor my apps in the app store, update contracts, get other updates. Or maybe this is a normal issue for Apple.

Apple makes billions and can't make a phone call? I am a small business owner and believe me I don't make billions but I do speak to my customers without hesitation if asked.

Now I have to explain to my small children that they will never be able to get anything from the itunes store again because their daddy was treated like someone I would never teach them to treat people.

You have caused a small password problem to escalate into a memorable negative experience with a company I have spent thousands with. Is this really how Apple treats customers?

to iTunes
As predicted no response. What happened to "you work Tuesday - Saturday 8:00 - 4:30 ET"?

Let me see if I can tally what I paid to Apple the last couple of years:

1. Iphone $299
1. Ipad $499
1. Macbook - $999
1. Macbook - $1499
2. Ipods @$149
2 years developer program - $200
2 years app sales @30% commission - about $800
App Store purchases - about $200
Accessories - about $200

Total: around $4,800.

In return I get "the iTunes Store normally doesn't provide assistance by telephone", a sarcastic email, days of waiting, disrespect.

You tell me my problem is an itunes problem yet your site says:

What is an Apple ID?

An Apple ID is a user name you use for everything you do with Apple.

I've spent at least a similar amount on Dell equipment over the years and have had a few problems. I was never not able to speak to someone.

This is a PASSWORD RESET problem which you have allowed to get totally out of control, and nobody gives a crap. All it would have taken on Monday was a phone call to placate me. Now, why in the world would I ever buy another piece of equipment from Apple? I really am in disbelief that a company the size of Apple can't find a single employee to make a quick 3 minute phone call to someone who has spent $4,800 with them to apologize for making me waste so much of my time on something so trivial.

Ok, I'm ready to be tossed back in the queue.

It goes on for a couple more days.
daddy03
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:59 pm

Boo hoo
i7-3770K@4.7 | H100 | P8Z77-V PREMIUM | 16GB | 2 GTX 770 4GB SLI | M500 960GB | EVO 840 250GB | AX850 | Obsidian 550D | R.A.T. 9 | U2713H | U2711
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Return to Apple Sanctuary