iTunes is infuriating; is it me?

From OSX to iPods, iTunes to Mac Minis, and all other things Apple.

Moderators: David, Thresher

iTunes is infuriating; is it me?

Postposted on Fri May 31, 2013 7:19 am

This has been bothering me for a while, but I am finally fed up with the 'search' feature in iTunes. When I search for a song it will play, but iTunes doesn't always show the track or album it's in in the main menu, so if, say, I want to play another song from that album I need to search for the song separately.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is there some alternative way I can organize my music and put it on my iPhone?
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7342
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: iTunes is infuriating; is it me?

Postposted on Fri May 31, 2013 7:57 am

I use Winamp to sync to an 80gb iPod Classic. I can't stand iTunes and the crapware it is bundled with. Unfortunately, they do not support iPhone at this time.


Try MediaMonkey, they support all iPods/iPhones/iPads on iOS 3+.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/news/2012/09 ... atibility/
i7 3820 @ 4.4, Custom Water Loop | ASRock X79 Extreme4 | 8GB G.Skill 1600mhz
EVGA GTX 670 FTW | BenQ XL2420T 120Hz | Samsung 840 250GB |WD Black 1TB | Win 8 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Corsair TX850V2 | Fractal Arc Midi R2
Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Re: iTunes is infuriating; is it me?

Postposted on Fri May 31, 2013 8:19 am

FireGryphon wrote:This has been bothering me for a while, but I am finally fed up with the 'search' feature in iTunes. When I search for a song it will play, but iTunes doesn't always show the track or album it's in in the main menu, so if, say, I want to play another song from that album I need to search for the song separately.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is there some alternative way I can organize my music and put it on my iPhone?


One of many reasons that I refuse to use iTunes. There are so many features like that, that just don't make any sense to me... it's as if the people who designed the interface don't actually ever listen to music.
cphite
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 am

Re: iTunes is infuriating; is it me?

Postposted on Fri May 31, 2013 8:30 am

Foobar2000 can also sync to iPods. If I remember correctly though, your music better be tagged very well or else organization isn't great.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2045
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:21 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: iTunes is infuriating; is it me?

Postposted on Fri May 31, 2013 9:10 am

I use MediaMonkey too, It makes it easier to mange my library than iTunes. I use iTunes to mainly update my iPhone/iPad and buy music.

However I am always on the lookout for new software better than MediaMonkey
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil
 
Posts: 7219
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: iTunes is infuriating; is it me?

Postposted on Fri May 31, 2013 9:12 am

If you do a search for song X you can:

a) hit enter while you are still in the search text field and that will list the search hits or
b) select song X from the drop down menu of search hits and that will display the album tracks with song X highlighted.
i7-3770K@4.7 | H100 | P8Z77-V PREMIUM | 16GB | 2 GTX 770 4GB SLI | M500 960GB | EVO 840 250GB | AX850 | Obsidian 550D | R.A.T. 9 | U2713H | U2711
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: iTunes is infuriating; is it me?

Postposted on Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:08 am

End User wrote:If you do a search for song X you can:

a) hit enter while you are still in the search text field and that will list the search hits or
b) select song X from the drop down menu of search hits and that will display the album tracks with song X highlighted.


iTunes doesn't exhibit this behavior for me. When I select a song from the drop down list it plays the song without showing the album or song list in the view pane.

Thanks for the other recommendations, I'll check them out!
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7342
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: iTunes is infuriating; is it me?

Postposted on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:48 am

iTunes in Windows is highly annoying because Apple never fully got the code to always consistently work with Windows. Apple's answer would be to get a Mac.

My answer (assuming you use Windows) is to use an iTunes alternative. I used to use X Play, and MediaFour has since replaced it with Media SOS. Check it out here.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-e016dx. AMD A8-5550M, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8550G integrated video, 17.3" display, 1600*900 (HD+) resolution, SD card reader, Windows 8.1 (DL Classic Shell)
riviera74
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 6:14 am
Location: FM, FL, USA

Re: iTunes is infuriating; is it me?

Postposted on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:23 pm

riviera74 wrote:iTunes in Windows is highly annoying because Apple never fully got the code to always consistently work with Windows. Apple's answer would be to get a Mac.

My answer (assuming you use Windows) is to use an iTunes alternative. I used to use X Play, and MediaFour has since replaced it with Media SOS. Check it out here.

I've got a Mac and a PC sitting next to each other right now. Both of which are running iTunes 11.04.4 The functionality I described earlier is the same regardless which OS you are using.
i7-3770K@4.7 | H100 | P8Z77-V PREMIUM | 16GB | 2 GTX 770 4GB SLI | M500 960GB | EVO 840 250GB | AX850 | Obsidian 550D | R.A.T. 9 | U2713H | U2711
End User
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada


Return to Apple Sanctuary

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest