SSL hole in all Apple devices

From OSX to iPods, iTunes to Mac Minis, and all other things Apple.

Moderators: David, Thresher

SSL hole in all Apple devices

Postposted on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:07 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/apple-says-securi ... nance.html
Johns Hopkins University cryptography professor Matthew Green wrote: "It's as bad as you could imagine, that's all I can say."
CrowdStrike CTO Dmitri Alperovich wrote: The issue is a "fundamental bug in Apple's SSL implementation.

Google senior engineer Adam Langley wrote: ...agreed with CrowdStrike that OS X was at risk. After analyzing IOS the patch, several security researchers said the same flaw existed in current versions of Mac OSX, running Apple laptop and desktop computers. No patch is available yet for that operating system, though one is expected soon.
Maybe they're holding it wrong.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Re: SSL hole in all Apple devices

Postposted on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:10 pm

They found out about the issue when they realized that the code just had a "is it cool & shiny looking?" boolean test instead of checking signatures against a list of trusted CA certificates.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:28 pm

Actually the bug is just that they had an extra 'goto' line in their testing. It wasn't bound properly to the if() statement (no curly braces, shame on them) and so it was just immediately executed once it had made it through some of the ifs.

The original source code is available here. The bug occurs on line 631/632, in the SSLVerifySignedServerKeyExchange(...) function.

Also, I can't believe they legit use 'goto' statements in production code. What is this, 1990?
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Core i7 3770 | 2x8 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600| Samsung 830 128GB SSD | Gigabyte HD7950 3GB | Win 7 Pro x86-64
CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:31 pm

I'm less bothered by the goto than by the fact that critical security code is obviously not being peer reviewed before it is shipped. That's a pretty serious lapse in QA.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Unintentional bug or secret NSA backdoor?
jihadjoe
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:00 pm

Let's assume for a moment that Apple intentionally gave the NSA a backdoor to all of the bazillions of extortively-priced iPhones, iPads and Macintohes that they've sold...
What possessed them to also provide this same backdoor to hackers, identity thieves, Chinese army operatives, Russian mobsters and unscrupulous criminals journalists?
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:23 pm

As in most of these cases, I'm confident Hanlon's Razor applies.
CampinCarl wrote:Also, I can't believe they legit use 'goto' statements in production code. What is this, 1990?
1990? Dijkstra's "Go To Statement Considered Harmful" was published in 1968.

That said, GOTO isn't completely anathema in real world code: used judiciously, it can actually make clearer. This is especially true in error-handling code (which is inherently anti-structured).
UberGerbil
Gerbil Khan

Postposted on Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:46 pm

You haters are seriously running out of steam if you have to jump so cheerfully a on bug that has already been fixed, not only before an exploit had the chance to come out but even before anyone knew about it.
windwalker
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:05 pm

windwalker wrote:You haters are seriously running out of steam if you have to jump so cheerfully a on bug that has already been fixed, not only before an exploit had the chance to come out but even before anyone knew about it.

That we know of. Just because it wasn't disclosed publicly before now doesn't mean it isn't already being exploited. I would be very surprised if *nobody* else has noticed that these devices will accept bogus security certificates.

This isn't a subtle bug either. It is an amateur night coding mistake (leaving a backdoor debug feature in a shipping product). While that sort of thing happens all the time with applications, it isn't supposed to happen in code that is a key piece of your security infrastructure!
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Amusingly that mistake was in open source code.

I think it may have been a code merge mistake given the lines.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:22 pm

I'm thankful for this thread because the corporate iPad in my possession hadn't been prompted for the iOS 7.0.6 update yet. It probably would have by the time I took it somewhere (I'm not due to travel again until April), but now I can get protected right away.

Since Mavericks 10.9.2 has gotten like 6 betas, I'm sure it'll be fixed in the final version of the update.

Now is this stupid or inexcusable or whatever? I look at it like I look at a Microsoft patch. Flaws are found every day, some of them are really dumb. Keep your software up to date and it'll be OK in the end. I think. Probably. I know it's more fun and more schadenfreude to laugh at the company whose stuff you don't use, but I'm using OSes from each of the big 3 OS vendors and all 3 of them have to do stuff like this.

An SSL bug that's apparently this scary would be way harder for Google to fix than Apple or MS though, assuming it's something that can't be patched through Google Play Services. It'd have to go to Samsung/HTC/LG/etc. and then get validated by a carrier - something that Apple is apparently immune to, since they update everyone at the same time.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:36 pm

windwalker wrote:You haters are seriously running out of steam if you have to jump so cheerfully a on bug that has already been fixed, not only before an exploit had the chance to come out but even before anyone knew about it.

The Register says it's not yet fixed.
Home: 650D, X750, Sabertooth Z77, 3770k, H100, 16G, 840 EVO 500G, 830 256G, GTX 780ti, U3011, Linux, Windows 7
Work: Arc Midi, 650TX, P8Z77-V LK, 3770, 32G, 830 128G, 2x1TB, NVS 295, 2xU3007, Linux
esc_in_ks
Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:42 pm

just brew it! wrote:

That we know of. Just because it wasn't disclosed publicly before now doesn't mean it isn't already being exploited. I would be very surprised if *nobody* else has noticed that these devices will accept bogus security certificates.

This isn't a subtle bug either. It is an amateur night coding mistake (leaving a backdoor debug feature in a shipping product). While that sort of thing happens all the time with applications, it isn't supposed to happen in code that is a key piece of your security infrastructure!

Yeah, it would be trivial to catch this bug using a simple unit test where you feed in an invalid certificate from an SSL website and make surea that invalid certificates aren't allowed to establish SSL connections. This literally is something that they taught us in undergrad when we first learned about PKI. I'm not shocked that Apple has bugs... every major OS (including Windows/Linux/Adroid parts that float on top of Linux, etc.) has bugs. The issue is that this bug is blatantly easy to spot and to exploit instead of requiring a sophisticated multi-stage attack to really exploit the vulnerability.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-770; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.
chuckula
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:10 pm

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/02/ap ... o-support/

Though this is apparently still an issue? Unsure:

https://community.qualys.com/blogs/secu ... -mavericks

I recalled it when looking up SSL and BEAST and found that Safari had issues with that at the time. Wonder what the current status is?
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Return to Apple Sanctuary