cleaning up an older case & power supply...thoughts/advice?

Enclosures, modding, blowholes, and the power needed to run it all.

Moderators: Nemesis, SpotTheCat

cleaning up an older case & power supply...thoughts/advice?

Postposted on Mon May 20, 2013 11:59 am

I recently was able to do some horse trading with a colleague and traded up to a GTX 670 (stock version, not the FTW version).

My colleague thought that the card might run a little hot in my current case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811119094).

Haven't had any problems with it so far, but the graphics card fan definitely does spin up when I'm running a modern game (like Sleeping Dogs) even for a little bit. So I suppose getting some extra airflow is probably better in the long run.

My colleague passed on a spare case to me (don't have a link)...it's a bigger tower, and has a side fan, 2 rear fans, and a top vent/fan - definitely more than what my current case offers.

It does need a bit of cleaning & dusting, but it's otherwise in good shape.

My questions to the gurus here are:

1. Do I REALLY need to transfer my rig to the new case? (I'm thinking I might as well)

2. The new to me case came with a 600w power supply (with clear sides), very 2004-2005-ish. No SATA power connectors or 6-pin graphics card plugs; but a bunch of molex connectors. My current case has one of these - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 148027...a little more modern and has all the connectors I need, 500w. Has been good to me since I got it in 2007; still runs well here with current setup. (i5 proc, 8 gigs RAM, 1 SSD, 1 HDD, 1 DVD drive, GTX 670).

Not really looking to buy a new power supply yet.

Any benefit to using the older supply vs my current one? Am I asking for trouble by using this old stuff? (then again, if no issues, no reason to retire it, right?)

3. With the 600w (clear) power supply, I can see that there's a little dust inside (which is to be expected, given the age). If I stick with that, any problems/issues if I open up the power supply to clean the dust out?

Thanks,
daninbusiness
Gerbil In Training

Re: cleaning up an older case & power supply...thoughts/advi

Postposted on Mon May 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Don't open it up, take it outside and airdust the crap out of it from all angles.
indeego
Gerbil First Class
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon May 20, 2013 12:14 pm

1. Yeah, go ahead and move it into the new case. If the ventilation's better, just do it after a decent cleanup.

2. Don't use the 2005-era PSU, it's likely to be targeted to ATX 1.x with a large proportion of voltage delivered to the 3.3v and 5v lines. Thus it isn't likely to do a better job than your current 500 watter. As for your current power supply: your link to the PSU model on NewEgg's broken, but I'm going to venture that a power supply bought in 2007 probably isn't delivering the same power in 2013 that it once did. Do consider a replacement.

3. If you insist on keeping the current PSU, cleaning it isn't going to hurt its remaining efficiency. You may have luck with compressed air, though I'd keep any fans in it from moving with some kind of stopper. You don't want to damage them with the pressurized air. If you decide to clean it out, make sure it's fully discharged first.
AMD FX-8320 | ASRock 970 Extreme4 | 24GB Corsair Ballistic DDR3-1600 | 2048 MB MSI Geforce GTX 660 | 600W Corsair Builder Series |Xubuntu 14.04 x64 | Cooler Master CM690 | Pioneer Blu-ray RW Drive | 240 gig Mushkin SSD | 500 gig Western Digital SATA Drive
Concupiscence
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon May 20, 2013 3:02 pm

I am thinking your current case is fine, as long as the intake isn't clogged.

I quickly googled a review that shows the lower drive cage is removable, so assuming you haven't already, you should rearrange drives so that you can remove that lower bay altogether and give your graphics card direct, unhindered access to fresh air from outside; The case intake fan will be blowing cool, fresh air directly across the underside of the graphics card (which will be upside down in the PCI-E slot, so the blower's intake on the card is exactly over this fresh air stream - It doesn't get any better than that for a graphics card).

It goes without saying that you should have a 120mm exhaust fan above the IO cluster on your motherboard. If you don't already have one fitted, steal one from the other case, ideally a 3-pin one to take advantage of your motherboard's fan speed control

I currently run a 7950 Boost in an orignal TJ08 case, which also has only two 120mm fans in total. With the only case intake blowing straight into the graphics card intake, the whole machine runs very quietly - the graphics card fan has never run at more than 40% from what I can tell with Furmark and other burn-in tests.

Your GTX670 is in a different class when it comes to power usage, using at least 50W less power than the 7950 I'm running. You should be absolutely, beyond any question or doubt, able to effectively cool a GTX670 without problems in that case.

Oh, and lastly - if you have a selection of fans available, put the more powerful on as the front intake and put the lower-rated one as the rear exhaust. This will help counter the negative air pressure caused by having extra exhaust assistance from the PSU fan and the blower on the 670; Negative air pressure means dust gets in far more quickly.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon May 20, 2013 4:18 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:you should rearrange drives so that you can remove that lower bay altogether and give your graphics card direct, unhindered access to fresh air from outside

And if that's not an option, drill a hole in the side panel and mount a fan there. I did this with a Centurion5 case and an 80mm fan a while back and the result was very noticeable (you could do 92mm or 120mm also). Might want to use a fan with rubber bumpers or rubber fan mounts to prevent fan vibrations propagating across the side-panel. If you go with a side-panel fan, it should be as low-rpm / noise as possible. You don't need much airflow since the GPU will be less than an inch from the fan.
Last edited by DPete27 on Mon May 20, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-m, Asus GTX660 TOP, 120 GB Vertex 3 Max IOPS, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 8GB G-Skill @1.25V, Silverstone PS07B
DPete27
Gerbil Jedi
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon May 20, 2013 7:54 pm

My toolbox has a hole saw that makes perfect holes for 92mm case fans.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue May 21, 2013 12:56 am

Thanks all, for the advice!

I ended up going with Chrispy's advice - removed the lower hard drive cage. Borrowed a fan (only an 80 mm one for now) and put that in the rear. Should upgrade to a bigger rear fan later; would probably be quieter.

But all good for now!

Thank you!
daninbusiness
Gerbil In Training

Return to Cases and Power Supplies