Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Server Case / Open-Air Inquiries

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:00 pm

I have an old PowerEdge 1900 server. Pretty decent platform, just needs a few upgrades and will make a nice little game/file server. The only problem I have is the enclosure is somewhere around 70lbs (e.g. it's freaking huge and heavy). I'd like to find some sort of lightweight case or even better an open-air design, similar to what TechReport uses for some of their benchmarking. I don't have a number or specs for the board, but I believe it is just a Intel-5000 server board; so it looks like I'd have to find a rather large case/partial-case.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Re: Server Case / Open-Air Inquiries

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:28 pm

Only issue with a server like that is not likely a standard form factor.
You may have trouble finding a case/platform.

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:39 pm

I've wondered before if it would be feasible to just drill screw holes in a big piece of plexiglass/lexar for this. If you don't need expansion cards, it would be super easy. Things get a lot harder when you have to properly support extra cards though. You'd also have to get a thick enough piece of plastic to eliminate flexing.
[ - THIS SPACE FOR RENT - ]

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:13 pm

highlandr wrote:
I've wondered before if it would be feasible to just drill screw holes in a big piece of plexiglass/lexar for this. If you don't need expansion cards, it would be super easy. Things get a lot harder when you have to properly support extra cards though. You'd also have to get a thick enough piece of plastic to eliminate flexing.

I was actually thinking this same thing. The plastic shouldn't give me any conductivity woes, I'd just have to find the appropriate size nuts for the underside of the plastic. The only thing installed is a RAID card, so I don't think vertical support should be an issue. For something I plan to keep stationary, having a small box or laying the PSU/drives to the side really shouldn't be an issue.

I don't think the lack of proper circulating air should be a large issue with the generally low usage.

@ Arvald -- Still was hoping to find some cheap open-air design for at least snugging the PSU and a hard drive or two, but the server board size will probably give me fits.

Looking for more ideas tonight, will try and plop them here.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:24 pm

If you're OK with going really ghetto you might be able to rig something with an appropriately sized storage crate and zip ties, along the lines of my old Folding@home crate farm nodes:
http://justbrewit.net/trstuff/crate2/cratemk2.jpg
http://justbrewit.net/trstuff/crate2/mbmount.jpg
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:12 pm

Whatever you spring for, make sure to still add a fan or two for airflow over the motherboard. Sever boards are built on the assumption of airflow being present even more so than consumer boards.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:36 am

dashbarron wrote:
highlandr wrote:

@ Arvald -- Still was hoping to find some cheap open-air design for at least snugging the PSU and a hard drive or two, but the server board size will probably give me fits.

Looking for more ideas tonight, will try and plop them here.

See if you can cut the board tray out from the case you have and reuse it.
a little cutting and grinding.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:38 pm

just brew it! wrote:
If you're OK with going really ghetto you might be able to rig something with an appropriately sized storage crate and zip ties, along the lines of my old Folding@home crate farm nodes:
http://justbrewit.net/trstuff/crate2/cratemk2.jpg
http://justbrewit.net/trstuff/crate2/mbmount.jpg

Ah, nice JBI! Never thought about buying some sort of laundry or office basket. That would certainly shed 50lbs from the project!

Have only really found ATX solutions so far (not even sure what server boards usually classified as?). If all else fails I can go to local hobby shops and stores to see what I could use for a container.

Reusing the MB tray (if it has one) might be a good use too. Been scrounging the internet all weekend and found new CPU/RAM/HDDs on for less than $75 this weekend, so need to keep everything intact until verify the new parts are working.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:43 pm

CPU arrived today :D

JBI has given me ideas. Poking around Amazon to get ideas for some power shopping this week:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005D51BOQ?psc=1

Or something like this rack, sturdier:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KV5 ... 2422430011

localhostrulez

Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:33 pm

My only concern with a laundry crate is flex on the board - I think that's part of what started causing problems with my GA-P55A-UD3.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:06 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
My only concern with a laundry crate is flex on the board - I think that's part of what started causing problems with my GA-P55A-UD3.

For my crate systems the boards were vertical, so minimal flex.

localhostrulez

Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:15 pm

just brew it! wrote:
localhostrulez wrote:

OK, that helps. But isn't the CPU heatsink still pulling the board to the side a bit?

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:22 am

localhostrulez wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
localhostrulez wrote:

OK, that helps. But isn't the CPU heatsink still pulling the board to the side a bit?

For taller, heavier HSFs I suppose that might be an issue.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:26 am

I gobbed up the new PSU and fired it up this morning to ensure it works. With a lot of the cooling shroud pulled away, I took a good look at the board. It's on a tray with a lot of cable management behind it. As far as I can tell, the board doesn't have any screw holes; it seems to be secured in place by sliding it against metal hooks on one side and then the PCI-E braces & port coverings push up against the opposing side. So, your zip-tip idea JBI may not work. :(

Board is about 16 3/8" x 16", rough measurement. Plan is to get the rest of the parts tested as they come this week, then pull it all apart this weekend to see if there's anything I can do with it--maybe there's some key the MB tray will play yet.