Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Re: I think PSU

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:55 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
A discrete graphics card?

Yes, and I think he means Power On/Off. Asked him earlier to try just power supply, motherboard/cpu, and DDR3 outside the case. The power supply older Antec 650 Watt was reused when changed over to a new motherboard, and cpu.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:10 pm

biffzinker wrote:
So no extra metal stand-offs behind motherboard other than the required to mount the board all stand-offs lined up with the motherboard holes? You made sure not to cause any additional flexing to the motherboard when putting in the RAM sticks in the slots?
yes, all stand-offs lined up. No other stand offs on the backplate. Everything is lined up. I was careful to get them in correctly.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:12 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
toki wrote:
I just don't understand. I took the card out and have been running the computer. It cut on fine the first run, I cut it off again and let it sit for a second and cut it back on again. It cut on fine on the second run. It all just seems really sporadic.

What "card" have you been talking about? A discrete graphics card? Some SATA controller card?

What do you mean by "cut on" and "cut off"? Do you mean the system power on and power off? Or did power just "cut off"?

Kind of confused.
card = GeForce 750ti. cut on and cut off = mainly the system itself also the PSU = the power switch on the PSU is cut on and cut off.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:20 pm

It has to be the graphics card. It worked fine every step of the way, then after having the system on for a minute with everything plugged back in it is doing it again.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:24 pm

toki wrote:
It has to be the graphics card. It worked fine every step of the way, then after having the system on for a minute with everything plugged back in it is doing it again.

You know of another system you could try the Geforce 750 Ti in to figure if it is indeed the card?
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:38 pm

biffzinker wrote:
toki wrote:

You know of another system you could try the Geforce 750 Ti in to figure if it is indeed the card?

It could still be the PSU causing these problems. The video card could just be the last straw for an aging PSU.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:39 pm

biffzinker wrote:
toki wrote:

I'm just confused at this point. No, I don't have another system. This is my only one. Also, I turned it off to move the power cable. I thought well might as well try it and it worked. Turned it off again, tried it again and started doing the same thing again. It is just so random.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:09 pm

I have tried to replicate everything with the card out as I am running the computer with the card in. It started just fine 3 times in a row with the card out. I feel like I am shredding my drives and so on by turning it on and off like this.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:23 pm

I thought you said before it still had the issue even with the video card out?

This whole thread has gotten very confusing. It might help if you summarized what you've done, specifying exactly what was in and out at each stage of the testing, and whether there has been ANY configuration where you did NOT observe the issue.

I still think the most likely culprit is the PSU; motherboard second most likely.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

toki
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:04 pm

I tested without the card again and it started 5 times in a row with no hiccups. I am scared of turning it on and off like this for fear that it is shredding parts. So with that I just put the card back in and turned the main Logo screen off and hope that that helps it to work correctly. I am just afraid that this is not going to end well.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:07 pm

Does the power up hiccup happen even with the HDDs disconnected? That would remove any concerns about continued troubleshooting damaging the HDDs.

Yes, it's still hard on the PSU, but I suspect your PSU is already bad anyway.

You really need to find another PSU to test with, to rule that in/out.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:55 pm

This system was working fine before the DVD drive addition? That was the ONLY thing you did (physically or BIOS related) between it working fine and it's current behavior?

Disassemble everything and re-assemble. Pull it all out so the parts are laying on the table like they're in their own retail boxes. Might as well reset the CMOS while you're at it also.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod