Quiet cases

Enclosures, modding, blowholes, and the power needed to run it all.

Moderators: Nemesis, SpotTheCat

Postposted on Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:56 am

Avoid putting PCI cards next to each other and try taking out the spare slot covers at the back of your case which should increase ventilation considerably.

Suggestion 1: Good idea. Spreading PCI cards out is a good idea as the heat does not congregate in one place.

Suggestion 2: Bad idea. You interrupt the natural airflow through the computer that way and cause problems cooling the components in the PC that are not actively cooled. There is a reason many manufacturers including AMD recomend the airflow go from bottom/front to top/back. You remove slot covers and you disrupt the airflow.
Resistance is futile.
TheCollective
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:45 am

TheCollective wrote:If the air hits nothing it makes no noise. That is a very good and simple way to start quieting a PC.

So removing all of the metal in front of or behind the case fans/psu would help a lot then. I know that my case has lots of small holes behind the fans, which I will get round to cutting out eventually.

I imagine NO metal would therefore be the quitest possible option.
Dave Grigger
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:36 am

Dave Grigger wrote:
TheCollective wrote:If the air hits nothing it makes no noise. That is a very good and simple way to start quieting a PC.

So removing all of the metal in front of or behind the case fans/psu would help a lot then. I know that my case has lots of small holes behind the fans, which I will get round to cutting out eventually.

I imagine NO metal would therefore be the quitest possible option.

Correct. Just make sure your cables or something like a child or a pet cant access your open fans. Your PC will regret it as will the object of injury.
Resistance is futile.
TheCollective
Gerbil Elite

Previous

Return to Cases and Power Supplies