Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

terrybogard
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Yamaha 2200 firewire box help need

Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:26 pm

Sorry for posting in the wrong board( storage ) first I will try to delete that one

HI guys,
i have an old yamaha 2200IX firewire external CD-RW( 20X 10X 40X), i just bought a liteon 811s DVD burner,
I already open the yamaha firewire box safely and connect the power and IDE cable and of course the firewire,

but the win2000 just did not see this new drive at all, i am pretty sure that the cable and power is fine.
just read the yamaha 2200 review, it seems yamaha is preventing using its firewire box for other IDE drive

dose anyone have a solution?

thanks very much!

Terry

UPDATE

RERULT::

i can just put my orginal yamaha 2200 back in the box, and the PC recognize it right away, then i shut down the power of the firewire box
and put the DVD burner ( liteon 811s) in the box, and turn it on, the system recognize the DVD burner !!!!

then i reboot the system , the system will recognize the DVD burner as the yamaha 2200 , but !!!
the Nero and powerdvd still recognize the correct DVD burner!!!

so it must've been a chip on the firewire board will only allow the system to use yamaha
but the nero and other software can get around that!!!
Last edited by terrybogard on Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
there are 3 things for sure:
death, tax and the EXPENSIVE mac

FubbHead
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:31 pm

In the device manager, is there any unidentified objects, or objects with a yellow exclamation mark? What version of Service Pack do you have installed, if any?

But it might aswell be that Yamaha indeed did limit their box, and then I guess you're out of luck. Maybe there's something on the net describing how to mod, if it can be done.
Amiga 1200, 68020@28MHz, 4MB+2MB RAM, Conner 80MB harddrive