Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

yarbo
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

caseless

Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:42 pm

how do you turn on a computer without a case? can i just put a jumper where the powerbutton would normally go?
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>

Steel
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 30, 2002 3:45 pm

Well, if you jumper the power connector the computer will just turn back off in a few seconds. You need to take the jumper off right away for it to stay on.

Maedhros
Gerbil Elite

Turn it on

Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:21 pm

yarbo, take a flat-head screwdriver and place it between the power jumper pins. Then just run the screwdriver in an upward motion against the two pins and the system turns on. FYI, when you do this, make sure you are grounded. Use an anti-static mat, wristband, and anything else you can think.
The ego is only a bit of consciousness swimming upon the ocean of dark things. We are an enigma unto ourselves.

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Sep 01, 2002 12:48 am

Personally what I did was rip a reset button out of an old case and hooked it up to the power switch on the MB. Works perfectly since on an ATX system all you need is a momentary-contact switch.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

yarbo
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:18 am

alright, i borged a reset switch and motherboard tray from an old AT case. any ideas on what to mount a motherboard in? i was thinking of getting a small trash can and then duct taping the tray inside, and duct taping the drives and power supply outside. would a duron 1.2 be safe in there? at full load 24/7 (folding)?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:51 am

Sigh. How about springing the $19 to buy a cheap ATX case and then putting your creative energies into modifying it?

yarbo
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:33 pm

because i have a mobo that has the powersupply melted to it, and i'm cheap. i think that a trash can would look better AND cooler. besides, i'm going to build another computer soon that'll actually look good, and need something to do with the motherboard so it can fold

HowardDrake
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:42 pm

Oh it's a folding box. Then you have my full support for any and all mods ;). The trash can sounds cool, you need to throw up a pic of this, I gotta see it :). Personally, I'd blow 5 bucks to cut a hole in the top and duct tape a fan there to get some ventilation. Other than that, you should be good.

This could rival the spray foam case for butt ugly usefulness :D.
No wonder television's a medium. It's so seldom rare or well done. -Mighty Mouse

yarbo
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2002 5:02 pm

the motherboard tray i borged didn't fit. it was AT... the motherboard worked fine long enough to install win2k on it out of a cardboard box, but when i put it in a gateway case and fired it up, and 10 minutes later, the power supply cables started melting again (my friend gave it to me when the cables melted on him, and they're fused to the board)...

so does anyone have an atx tray i can use? or any ideas on what i can do? i had one 80 mm case fan in the gateway case, and no case fans when i was running it from a cardboard box

Despite
Gerbil XP

Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:12 pm

just lay it on a phone book. it's worked for me many a time.

just GET RID of that power supply. preferably before someone gets hurt. is the fan in the power supply even spinning?