Case Cooling Question

Enclosures, modding, blowholes, and the power needed to run it all.

Moderators: Nemesis, SpotTheCat

Case Cooling Question

Postposted on Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:39 pm

I've decided to get a new case for my computer. I've been looking into the Shuttle "Cube-like" Boxes. I'm just wondering if anyone has has any problems with cooling this case as some of my parts tend to get pretty hot although none of them are OCed. Is there a special kind of PSU size for this case, or will all normal PSUs fit in here? If so, what should I do to keep the Shuttle at a reasonable temperature?

My Computer Specs:

P4 2.53GHZ
512 DDR PC2700 Corsair XMS
MSI Max-L
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro All-in-Wonder
Western Digital 800JB 80GB HDD w/8MB Cache
Lite-On 48x CDRW
Lito-On 16X DVD
jasonkuo71
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:50 pm

don't they come with their own PSU's?
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.
mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:04 pm

You shouldn't have any trouble with your current equipment in there, though you can only put one 5.25" drive in it.

The cooling solution is pretty impressive. A special 200W PSU is included with the box and is not ATX compliant. It seems to be enough to run a 3GHz P4 and a 9700 Pro according to any review I've seen.

I would say overclocking is unlikely to match a normal full ATX system, but it is not out of the question. You'll have to do the manual voltage mod, as there is no BIOS voltage tweak.
Freon
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:12 am

:-? I'd avoid alterring any voltages as that leads to a LOT more heat and gains over the std voltage are rarely significant. That P4 2.53ghz is already running relatively near the core limit so don't expect a big o/c from it. Anyway, looks as though your biggest problem will be swapping your 2 5.25" drives for a single DVD+CDRW drive, those things are MUCH better than they used to be ;)
Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Return to Cases and Power Supplies