Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Clgamma
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:47 pm

I'm buying from ABS, anyone else have this case, if you do, how is it?

Nemesis
Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:45 am

Just wondering if this is the case you mean, might make it easier for people if they have a picture to go with the name!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nemesis on 2002-03-05 23:47 ]</font>

NeXus 6
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 08, 2002 10:58 pm

I have that case that Nemesis linked to. It's a good case but the power supply that I got with it is a generic one, made by Macron Power. It worked fine with my 1 GHz T-Bird/ABIT KT7, but my new Athlon XP 1800+ is really pushing it.

The case has a removable mobo tray and has room for three case fans (one intake/two exhaust). What I like about it the most are the side panels. They come off easy, which allows for easier access to the inside without getting out a screwdriver. It's very roomy inside and the overall contruction is top-notch.

Clgamma
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2002 11:23 pm

thanks a lot nexus 6, you've been a lot of help

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:46 pm

I have it with an Antec 400W and its great. But the picture lies. I have the current model and the older pictured model. The current model has vertical slits, none along the top, no upper space for a drive, and far less grill space on the back side. More comments here:
http://personal.palouse.net/billshan/merlin.htm
or here:
http://www.uidaho.edu/~billshan/merlin.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Bill on 2002-03-15 21:48 ]</font>

hans
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Apr 01, 2002 1:56 am

I have two of the InWin Q500 cases. The older one that has space on the top for two HD's is the Q500A. The newer one is the Q500N. I have one of each. <br>
Both are great cases, but the newer one is a little more refined. The top HDs would get blazing hot if the case was on. They both came with generic 300W PS's. The MB trays are sometimes a little hard to slide out. My enormous Silverado CPU cooler is too big to fit through the opening, so the slide feature is useless to me. <br>
I just spent a few minutes drilling holes into the front panel, so my front fan can actually pull in some air. Next I'll be cutting the side panel so I can mount another fan to cool the PCI cards / HDs area. <br>
Its a great case for the money (about $70). There are a couple better ones, but at a premium price. Supermicro and Antec make nice ones, but the cheapest is $150.