Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Apollo "mod"

Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:48 am

The reason i say "mod" is because it is a very minor...yet surprisingly tricky mod i want to attempt.
Take a look at this picture:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage ... l%20Window
Over the side panel fan it has these built in plastic lines as fan covers, and they seem to give me problems with every fan i use it on (i.e. noise level). I want to remove them...but have no clue how to go about doing this w/o damaging or cracking any other part of the window. Anybody have some ideas in how i could accomplish this?
thanks gerbils.

crimsonjax
Gerbil

Re: Apollo "mod"

Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:58 pm

You could do it with a dremel, but you need some sticky paper to apply to both sides of the lexan before cutting. The paper would allow you to trace out a line for you to follow. We have the paper where I work. It's called Gerber Mask. Not sure where to buy it though. Sorry. Something like masking tape might work too...

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:37 pm

crimsonjax wrote:
sticky paper

The word you are looking for is tape. :P

Get a roll of masking tape if your're going to use this method. You will scratch it if you do not.

crimsonjax
Gerbil

Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:35 pm

lol, ya, I thought that too after I was trying to describe the Gerber Mask. We use Gerber at work to apply stencils and stickers. If you've ever bought lexan or plexi in bulk, then you know it comes with a brown paper stuck to the surface to protect it from scratches. That is what I was trying to explain for StuG to use. But masking tape would be he easier alternative.. lol