Need suggestions on opt. airflow for a CM Storm Scout case

Enclosures, modding, blowholes, and the power needed to run it all.

Moderators: Nemesis, SpotTheCat

Need suggestions on opt. airflow for a CM Storm Scout case

Postposted on Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:52 pm

Hello fellow Gerbils, I'm new to the forums although I've been reading Tech Report for quite sometime. I really enjoy reading all the articles and in-depth reviews here on the site, its become one of my daily rituals to check in my morning routine (and occasionally during a slow day at work ^_^;;) A little about me, I'm a bit of a beginner PC enthusiast ( I know my way around a PC for the most part, although I haven't done any seriously crazy PC mods or LN2 Overclocking), I work at a call center in Arizona, and spend much of my free time playing video games with my friend and fellow enthusiast Darren or tinkering with my Rig, Lenneth.

Now on to my question: I've been trying to find the optimum Airflow for my CM Storm Scout case. I'm planning on migrating to a new 58XX series video card in the near future, and I want to keep my temps in check/possible overclocking ahead of time before I decide to make the move. (That's all assuming it'll fit in the case, its already a tad cramped in there. -_-;;) For those who aren't familiar with my case, I currently have 1 x 120mm Fan on the bottom slot on side of the case (will be adding the upper slot 120mm soon), it has 1x 120mm fan on the upper rear, 1x140mm mounted on top, and 1x140mm fan mounted bottom front. (I'll have pictures up a little later to illustrate for those wanting a visual) Here's a list of how its currently setup, not much changed from the factory setup (although the top fan is wrong, must've been setup wrong in the factory) with the exception of the added side fan:

Front 140mm: Intake
Side 120mm: Intake
Rear 120mm: Exhaust
Top 140mm: Intake (again, must've been put together wrong in the factory, going to change it once I finalize the airflow setup)

I'm getting okay temps, here's what speedfan and CCC show currently, although I think I can get better since my cpu overclocks aren't terribly high and my GPU isn't overclocked atm.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5iJ81KXqJ0Z2lCqvUFqLNQ?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Ju9mINhEXPNm6_P2UOLy6g?feat=directlink

I should probably list what I'm currently using, feel free to comment on my parts selection as I could always use feedback on my rig.

Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout / PSU:CORSAIR 850TX 850W Power Supply /CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz @ 3.36 GHz /Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R /Memory: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) @ 1600MHz, 8-8-8-24 timings (XMP profile 1) /GPU: SAPPHIRE 100258-1GHDMI Radeon HD 4850 1GB /Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache /Optical Drive: LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model / Operating System: Windows 7 RC Ultimate Edition x64

Thanks again to everyone in advance, looking forward to being a part of this community ^_^
Hyperneko
Gerbil

Re: Need suggestions on opt. airflow for a CM Storm Scout case

Postposted on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Temps look good to me. I agree, you should flip the top fan over so it exhausts. So basically front/side fans = intake and rear/top fans = exhaust. How are you liking that case? It's got a good price and I've been thinking about picking one up myself.
along82
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:26 pm

I was basically thinking along those same lines although with fan nearest to the GPU I wasn't sure if I should have that one on intake or exhaust.

As for the case, I love the case its much better than my Raidmax Aztec in terms of space and not nearly as fragile (front end came off after many LAN party trips). A few things to note if you're thinking of buying it:

1) Be sure to have a modular power supply, cable-gami is kind of a PITA and its only exacerbated with more unnecessary cables. Keep lots of zip ties handy.
2) Its a little tough to put in the Optical drives, you literally have to shove it in there. It won't go nowhere, and it might feel like you're doing it wrong somehow but believe me, you're on the right track if it needs shoving.
3) During my build, I ran into a little problem with a power cable needing to go behind my 3rd party CPU cooler, which outside the case would not be a problem but inside made for a bit of a pickle. I lucked out in having Asian friends helping with the build with their tiny, thin, nimble fingers.

Otherwise I've have no complaints since I put it together in June. Its been a tough little guy taking it to LAN parties and such. Its much more attractive looking than the Sniper imo and since I needed something a tad more mobile to house my newest rig, the handles were a god send. Even with the Lights its still very subtle yet striking to me. Not at all Blingy or cheesy. I'd definitely recommend it.
Hyperneko
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:56 am

The best thing to have in your case above everything else is equal flow in as you have equal flow out. If you have to have more of one thing, more flow in is the best. But in reality, you optimally want roughly the same CFM pumping into your case as you have pumping out of your case. Make sure you take into consideration the fans on the GPU and PSU when you go to calculate that.
StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Return to Cases and Power Supplies