Power Supply Freaking Out?

Enclosures, modding, blowholes, and the power needed to run it all.

Moderators: Nemesis, SpotTheCat

Power Supply Freaking Out?

Postposted on Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:54 pm

Could a power supply with a built in short detector freak out if used with a dual socket motherboard?
How could you tell if a case keep shorting out motherboards?

I have an Enermax Revolution 85+, a Tyan S2927A2NRF-E with two AMD Opteron 2218 (2.6 GHz Santa Rosa core), and an Antec 300. After running four days for burn in, I turned the PC off, and when I tried to turn it back on, the power supply is indicating there is a short in the system (it has a built in short indicator with an external LED that lights up red when a short is detected).

This is the second board that has done this. The current board is a replacement for the original board, which died after 20 hours in my first attempt with this build in January, and I was thinking I just got a bad motherboard. Last time the PC would power up without the CPU in the second socket, it didn't matter which CPU was in socket 1, and I'm working on the assumption that something similar will happen this time. I haven't had time to tear it apart again, so I'm not sure what it's doing this time.

I have a couple of ideas.
1) My power supply is freaking out because it's not designed for 2 socket systems, and is seeing the second CPU as a short.
2) My case is shorting out the MB.
3) My power supply is frying motherboards.
4) Limp along with the single CPU, or should run this thing through a chipper and get a regular desktop setup. :-?

I'm contemplating getting a Seasonic X750 To replace the Enermax, and maybe a different case. What does everyone think?
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite

Return to Cases and Power Supplies