Power problem with PC

Enclosures, modding, blowholes, and the power needed to run it all.

Moderators: Nemesis, SpotTheCat

Power problem with PC

Postposted on Tue May 25, 2010 8:51 pm

This is what i am currently running:
Ultra 1000W PSU
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2535 (Ultra sent me a replacement less than a year ago for my other one blowing a fuse)
Intel core i7 860
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115214
Gskill ripjaw 1600mhz 2x2gb ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231277
ASUS P7P55D pro Mobo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131621
HIS radeon HD 4890 Graphics card

Western digital caviar black 750gb HDD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136283

Ok so i came home today after being gone for less than two hours and before i left my computer was running completely fine. I got home and pressed the power switch and the fans spun for about half a second and no other component even seemed to start booting up. I unplugged everything and have just the memory, mobo, cpu, HDD, and computer power switch connected to the PSU. I tried booting it up making sure nothing was shorting the mobo and the same thing, the PSU fan started to twitch for a second then stopped. I am completely lost although i was remembering something of the LGS 1156 sockets burning out on some of the earlier Mobo's that were being released and considering i made this back in November i think it could be my CPU. As i said i just replaced my PSU because one of the fuses exploded on me but this computer has been running fine ever since i got a brand new replacement. Any ideas of what this could be?

My thanks!
Straing
Straing
Gerbil

Re: Power problem with PC

Postposted on Thu May 27, 2010 4:48 am

There are some articles on the Internet about the s1156 socket, that if certain manufacturers made the socket, it didn't make a proper connection with the CPU. I think Foxconn was one of the socket manufacturers in question, and I think the site was tomshardware. It might be worth persuing that line.

Also, I'm not sure you need such an enormous PSU if that's the spec of your PC - I've got a Corsair 450W, the overall power usage when idle is about 80W, and on load about 140 - 150W. I know that it isn't as easy a comparison as that, but the highest PSU I've used was for a customer's Core i7-920 build, Corsair 550W.
mikeymike
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Thu May 27, 2010 5:24 pm

Sounds like it went into Sleep mode and is having trouble waking up. I had a similar issue on my Antec PSU and I would just unplug the power cord, flip the switch in the back off and on, and then boot it up. Its worth trying.
Sony a7
Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 SSM, 24-70/4 SSM
Minolta 100/2, 100-300 APO
TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri May 28, 2010 8:06 pm

So I put in a 650W corsair power supply my friend is using and it booted up just fine. Guess I will be sending this PSU back in for another one.....good thing it came with a lifetime warranty and i am pretty sure i am never buying from these guys again.
Straing
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri May 28, 2010 9:15 pm

mikeymike wrote:Also, I'm not sure you need such an enormous PSU if that's the spec of your PC - I've got a Corsair 450W, the overall power usage when idle is about 80W, and on load about 140 - 150W. I know that it isn't as easy a comparison as that, but the highest PSU I've used was for a customer's Core i7-920 build, Corsair 550W.

Exactly my thought. Why such a big PSU? Get yourself a decent normal but quality PSU instead.
Statica
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat May 29, 2010 12:57 am

Straing wrote:So I put in a 650W corsair power supply my friend is using and it booted up just fine. Guess I will be sending this PSU back in for another one.....good thing it came with a lifetime warranty and i am pretty sure i am never buying from these guys again.

Check with the old one again to make sure it wasn't something temporary like the other poster described?
mikeymike
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat May 29, 2010 1:42 am

Ultra's hardware is somewhat variable in quality; their PSUs have generally been decent though. I gave 'em a try after getting burned by multiple dodgy Antec and Thermaltake PSUs, and have been pretty happy with them (I own several Ultra PSUs now).
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat May 29, 2010 11:46 pm

Statica wrote:
mikeymike wrote:Also, I'm not sure you need such an enormous PSU if that's the spec of your PC - I've got a Corsair 450W, the overall power usage when idle is about 80W, and on load about 140 - 150W. I know that it isn't as easy a comparison as that, but the highest PSU I've used was for a customer's Core i7-920 build, Corsair 550W.

Exactly my thought. Why such a big PSU? Get yourself a decent normal but quality PSU instead.

I got this PSU almost 3 years ago thinking it would be good for a future build before I really started researching PSU's. After last summer and reading Mike Meyers A+ manual i really started to understand where I went wrong when buying this. It was one of those mistakes that i don't plan on repeating :D . I tried my PSU afterwords and still no go. I am hoping the next one will last me at least more than a year. I do really enjoy the modular PSU and ultras has been great for versatility in how easy it is to maneuver around inside a case, but i definitely agree with it being way to big for what i am using.
Straing
Gerbil

Return to Cases and Power Supplies