Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Potro
Gerbil
Topic Author

Bad Power supply?

Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:55 pm

Everything was going good pretty much till today.

I never got any BSOD's for about a week after the build until a day after connecting to the internet.
Recently I was getting BSOD about 15 minutes after logging in every day.
Yesterday I changed a few things to get rid of it and seemed to work till today.
Aome of those errors I got said the cause could be the power was interrupted.
Today was the first day not getting BSOD.

But tonight the computer froze, so I just did a reset but then it would only start for about a second, the motherboard light came on as well as the fan at high speed(which it never does) and then would shut down again, just cycling like this over and over.
After a few times shutting off the power and turning it back on it finally wouldn't start at all, nothing, no lights from the motherboard, no fans just dead!
I don't have a VOM. So I tried taking one of the fans and hooking it up directly to the power supply instead of going thru the motherboard. Nothing happened, should the fan work this way?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Specifications from builders anomynous thread I made last month:

cpu: 17-875K and
cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 $248

motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 and

HD: Samsung f3 spinpoint $70
optical: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS $25
case: COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced $90
ram: 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 1600 $110

mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical 1.1A and
keyboard: Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 $35

psu: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W $86
gpu: XFX HD-577X-ZNFC 5770 1GB $160
monitor: ASUS VH222H Black 21.5 $180

Total: $1199

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Bad Power supply?

Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:42 am

Usually when you are being subjected to BSOD's it is not because of the power supply. BSOD's means that windows had enough time to go "HEY DON'T SHUT DOWN, LET ME RECORD THE ERROR!" and thus had the ability to stay on. Though this can be a power supply issue, due to that fact its far more likely that it is a different issues.

Funny that you post this because I have a friend who is RMA'ing a 750i FTW to EVGA for the exact same reason. I have thrown away an old MSI 790X board for the same reason. Incase you haven't figured it out...I would guess its your motherboard. Happy hunting!

Potro
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:48 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to research this problem through google. Ended up pretty far from where I started.
Anyways I put a wire to short a 24 pin connector, I think it was green to black to test if the power supply would do anything. It did, I connected a few fans and they worked. The motherboard should be able to do this when starting up which it didn't, nothing worked. So I rma'd the gigabyte board, told them what I did and they said to send it in.
I guess they'll check it also.
I'll report back when I get a replacement motherboard or maybe the same one if nothings wrong.

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Sorry if I am hijacking this thread but I just got a Corsair 400W from newegg and I just want to confirm its bad before I send it back. Tried the paper clip test and the fan would spin up every once in a while but would mostly remain idle. I stuck a DMM to the system and occasionally would get a reading when it was plugged in. I then put it in my system and the green lights up on the MB but that is it. No power to the rest of the system. I just removed an old power supply (which was working but way to big for a HTPC) and the system worked before.

PSU DOA?
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

Potro
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:47 pm

Well I got my new mother board and installed it.
I have the same problem, the system starts for a second or so and shuts down, just cycling.
One time it booted to windows but shut down again.
I checked the PSU awhile back by using a paper clip and seeing if a fan would work, it did.

I have no access to other computers or spare parts.
Possibly a bad PSU?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Yes, a bad PSU is likely.

It could also be that you've got the CPU heatsink installed incorrectly, and the system is shutting down because the CPU is overheating.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Potro
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:35 pm

Well, I'll go over to Corsair and see if I can get it RMA'd. Thanks for the advice. :)

Potro
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:40 am

Just found this thread again.
Reporting back and it was the power supply.

Had another problem though. The system would start and sometimes not show the bios splash screen and then sometimes would just show a flashing cursor. Nothing would happen at that time, it would hang there.

Then I would have to hit the restart case button and it would sometimes go into windows. Once getting into the password screen it was always working great.
It would happen every other time. Never start 2 times in a row and never hang up 2 times in a row, strange.

Checked drivers, settings in windows and BIOS, didn't help, at first.

Went into BIOS again and noticed one setting that says for the BIOS to halt on "all errors except the keyboard".
So thought maybe some thing else was generating the error and halting the BIOS.

I remembered using a USB to PS/2 converter that was very old for the mouse, I took it off and just plugged the mouse's USB straight into the machine.
That was the problem. After that it's been a few weeks and no recurring hanging up on starts.

I got lucky this time as I could be looking at all kinds of error files, drivers and checking the internal parts forever without resolution.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:49 am

That's really weird with the PS/2 converter. But yeah, sometimes the oddest things will prevent a system from booting.

My work system will occasionally fail to boot (hang at BIOS POST screen) if there is an external hard drive connected to a USB port, even though the internal hard drive is set first in the boot order. It isn't even consistent; happens maybe one time out of 5. Unplugging the USB device and punching reset always fixes it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.