I'm hankering for one of those 400W Seasonic Platinum Fanless PSUs for my Lounge Room pc (linux htpc, occasional windows games & audio recording). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151097
Overall power consumption is pretty low most of the time, and case temps are modest (although living in Australia, ambient temps won't be so benign in a few months time and then I guess we'll see how it goes). The existing EarthWatts Bronze PSU is 4 years old, and although everything is still working the voltages visible in the bios seem more unstable, and I'm having occasional problems with hanging during startup, or failing to initialise the usb systems (including, importantly, the keyboard).
The Antec case is a bit old fashioned and has the PSU top rear, with no convection vents in the top of the case. On the other hand, I find it easy enough to work in, solid, quiet and the front door locks to keep little fingers away from exciting buttons.
I'm looking for advice on my options. Should I:
0. Go ahead! What's the worst that could happen?
1. choose a more appropriate PSU with a semi-active (thermally switched) fan. I'd like to, but the Seasonic ones don't put a fan in until you get a lot higher up the power levels (possible that the fan makes it hard to get to 'platinum'?) Options I'm missing here?
2. Go ahead, but add a thermally switched fan.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220028
3. Case mod - put those vents in the top using my trusty drill (reluctant due my fairly modest hand skills - likely to end up with a very uneven array of holes or off-center window)
4. get a more modern case & PSU combo (seems unlikely to be superior).
Any advice or experience welcomed!
Athlon 620e, Asus 7790 (1GB), 8GB KVR 1333, Asus M4A785T-M, Samsung 830 256GB, WD Green 1TB, WD Green 2TB, E-mu 1212m, Dvico HD Dual Digital 4 TV tuner, Hyper 212 Evo (mounted ironically), Antec Earthwatts Platinum 450W.