UPS advice? powercom any good?

Enclosures, modding, blowholes, and the power needed to run it all.

Moderators: Nemesis, SpotTheCat

UPS advice? powercom any good?

Postposted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:03 pm

I'm looking for a online UPS and my local store has powercom Ups 's in stock.

Particular model i am interested in is Powercom VGD-1000. But i don't know much about this brand , is it any good?
Hsldn
Gerbil

Re: UPS advice? powercom any good?

Postposted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:37 pm

I had a Poewrcom UPS once, model is "Ace" (I think) and it's rated for 1000VA. Got it in April 2009 and I think I was able to use it for 2-3 years. At first it could hold up for 25 minutes playing games, then the battery was pretty much useless after 2-3 years and the UPS would also shut off when a power fluctuation happens. I rarely 'cycle' the unit so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the dead battery. Didn't bother replacing the battery. Overall, I'm not sure I'd buy that brand again but then again their products may be better these days. I would also consider UPS units from FSP if I were out for a UPS today.

Powercom's website is http://www.powercom-usa.com/
The three pillars of my digital life: AMD FX-8350, Google Nexus 7 (Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro), Intel Core i5-2450M
ronch
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:45 pm

~3 years is not terribly out of line for UPS battery lifetime.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:28 pm

Actually i use a APC 800Va at the moment. also its batteries last about 2-3 years. Now i need more than 800va, about 1000-1500va range.

I can find FSP , but only lineinteractive models that produce Simulated Sine Wave . These produce some buzzing sound when used with Active pfc psu 's. Is this really important? i mean does it harm the PSU?
Hsldn
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:46 am

Hsldn wrote:I can find FSP , but only lineinteractive models that produce Simulated Sine Wave . These produce some buzzing sound when used with Active pfc psu 's. Is this really important? i mean does it harm the PSU?

Well, it is not ideal.

There has been speculation that simulated sinewave UPSes designed for European use (230V output) create switching transients of sufficient magnitude to over-charge the capacitors in the input stages of an active PFC PSU; this could theoretically cause the PSU to fail. This should not be an issue with UPSes designed for the US market (120V output), since active PFC PSUs use a common input stage for both line voltages; there's a much bigger safety margin when they are operating on 120V input.

There have also been a number of reports of active PFC PSUs causing simulated sinewave UPSes to detect an overload condition, even though the load is well below the UPS's rated maximum. This causes the UPS to shut down unexpectedly. I do not know enough about the underlying mechanism to say whether this can damage the UPS.

That said, some buzzing is normal, even when simulated sinewave UPSes are used with PSUs that don't have active PFC.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:53 am

ronch wrote:I had a Poewrcom UPS once, model is "Ace" (I think) and it's rated for 1000VA. Got it in April 2009 and I think I was able to use it for 2-3 years. At first it could hold up for 25 minutes playing games, then the battery was pretty much useless after 2-3 years and the UPS would also shut off when a power fluctuation happens. I rarely 'cycle' the unit so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with the dead battery. Didn't bother replacing the battery. Overall, I'm not sure I'd buy that brand again but then again their products may be better these days. I would also consider UPS units from FSP if I were out for a UPS today.

Powercom's website is http://www.powercom-usa.com/

Yep, that's entirely normal and every UPS out their will do something similar. The exact lifetime of the battery will vary depending on how good the charging circuit is, how hot the internals get, etc. Rack mount and desk side UPSes all use sealed lead acid batteries (gel cells) and they have a finite lifespan. I replace UPS batteries about every two years. That's just normal maintenance.

--SS
SecretSquirrel
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:32 pm

Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!
anotherengineer
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:20 pm

as everyone is saying the batteries in UPS last up to 3 years (replace before that proactively to guarantee UPS will work)
Home conditions are not usually good for UPS's.

I've had APC... the replacement battery cost is killing from them (80% of new purchase cost)
I've used Amazon stores to get replacements and been very happy.

As for buying new I've had APC, RCA and another no name... funny enough the no name is the one one that is a good as new at 5 years old (1 hour run time for the equipment on it, same as the day I bought it). The RCAs are about 4 years old and still have original batteries (don't even know if I can replace them) and last about 10 minutes now (used to last closer to 20).
Arvald
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:47 pm

Hsldn wrote:I'm looking for a online UPS and my local store has powercom Ups 's in stock.

Particular model i am interested in is Powercom VGD-1000. But i don't know much about this brand , is it any good?

I haven't used a Powercom UPS before (I've used APC Symmetrix, in an office "Colo/demarc" before), but the ratings for the VGD-1000LCD are comparable to an APC 1000VA Smart-UPS, assuming a 100% draw (4-6 min backup time, a lot longer at a lesser percentage). It'll boil down to price, warranty, and how much the replacement batteries cost.

Depending on what you're attemping to power, the Emerson *might not* be too big, but remember that the model you linked to is a 6000VA/10000VA model. That thing is gonna be HUGE, but it'll output at full power for 6 minutes, 94 min at 10%.

You need to figure out EXACTLY how much power you'll be needing, and how long of a backup time you find acceptable. If you're just wanting to run a gaming rig full-tilt for enough time to safely power down, you don't need that much. If you're running a WISP out of your office, and need a 1 hour runtime to avoid losing connectivity to your DS3 radios/Routers and Switches/Gateway Controllers/etc..., so your customers aren't interrupted, you'll need beefier equipment.
Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:14 pm

Arvald wrote:I've had APC... the replacement battery cost is killing from them (80% of new purchase cost)

Yes, the cost of replacement batteries from APC is obscene. The one I have here at work uses a 24V battery "pack" consisting of a pair of 12V SLAs stuck together. APC essentially charges $35 for a 5 cent piece of double-sided foam tape.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:42 pm

Grab the numbers off the top of the SLA and head on over to Digi-Key or a host of other suppliers.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:44 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Hsldn wrote:I can find FSP , but only lineinteractive models that produce Simulated Sine Wave . These produce some buzzing sound when used with Active pfc psu 's. Is this really important? i mean does it harm the PSU?

Well, it is not ideal.

There has been speculation that simulated sinewave UPSes designed for European use (230V output) create switching transients of sufficient magnitude to over-charge the capacitors in the input stages of an active PFC PSU; this could theoretically cause the PSU to fail. This should not be an issue with UPSes designed for the US market (120V output), since active PFC PSUs use a common input stage for both line voltages; there's a much bigger safety margin when they are operating on 120V input.

Thats kinda weird. Almost every UPS(except a few models that cost as much as a Laptop ) i can find in the market is lineinteractive and produces modified step sinuses . And every psu i can find has APFC . If they are not compatible , why are they selling it in the first place?

I use it for my home computer. So 10-15 minutes run time is enough for me.
Hsldn
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:53 pm

Line interactive != non-pure sine wave. There may be some confusion around here.

My current unit spec'ed to be compatible with APFC power supplies. For the most part, you probably don't need full online UPSes. Your current unit, if it is really up there with the APC Smart-UPS, then it may be good and all you need is just to replace the battery. I leave my computers on all the time and who knows how many brownouts that the UPS has saved without my knowledge? I am convinced the battery does need replacing every 2-3 years.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:45 am

Flying Fox wrote:Line interactive != non-pure sine wave. There may be some confusion around here.

I know that , but most lineinteractive UPS 's i could find produces nonpure sinewave. Only one APC model is lineinteractive and has pure sinewave , it costs around $600 , just not worth it. I can buy a online ups from powercom at the price range.

I tried a worst case senario. Prime95 + furmark at the sametime and APC 800VA hit %88 at most . So i guess 800va seems to be enough for now . Only problem is the buzzing sound coming from the psu (seasonic X 750W) during blackouts . But other than the annoying sound , it seems to work fine.

That CyberPower ups looks great. But i don't have access to most brands in my country. Only APC , FPS and some local brands (they are probably just rebranded cheap chineese products.) .

I 've been using APC for years, it worked without an issue so far. But i just don't believe it deserves the price tag.
Hsldn
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:58 am

Captain Ned wrote:Grab the numbers off the top of the SLA and head on over to Digi-Key or a host of other suppliers.

Yup, there are a number of online shops that sell the individual SLAs for about half (or less) of what APC charges. That's what I always do when replacing UPS batteries.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:48 pm

Hsldn wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:Line interactive != non-pure sine wave. There may be some confusion around here.

I know that , but most lineinteractive UPS 's i could find produces nonpure sinewave. Only one APC model is lineinteractive and has pure sinewave , it costs around $600 , just not worth it. I can buy a online ups from powercom at the price range.

I tried a worst case senario. Prime95 + furmark at the sametime and APC 800VA hit %88 at most . So i guess 800va seems to be enough for now . Only problem is the buzzing sound coming from the psu (seasonic X 750W) during blackouts . But other than the annoying sound , it seems to work fine.

That CyberPower ups looks great. But i don't have access to most brands in my country. Only APC , FPS and some local brands (they are probably just rebranded cheap chineese products.) .

I 've been using APC for years, it worked without an issue so far. But i just don't believe it deserves the price tag.

May be your country has the price gouging going on. APC's SmartUPS series used to be super expensive, but this latest model seems to be reasonably priced. I fear that replacement batteries are even worse price wise in your country though.

Then again, how about just replacing the battery in your current unit? That may be a problem in your country. Shaver and blades scenario.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:31 pm

I swear by CyberPower systems. I have an older version of this http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500PFCLCD-Sinewave-Compatible-Mini-Tower/dp/B00429N19W and a non-pure-sine wave version on my wife's computer and router/modem. Awesome stuff.

Multiple outtages, spikes, brownouts and weird old powerlines in 1930's home in Savannah, GA and these systems are rock solid.

Good luck!
jthh
Gerbil In Training

Postposted on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:13 am

just brew it! wrote:
Arvald wrote:I've had APC... the replacement battery cost is killing from them (80% of new purchase cost)

Yes, the cost of replacement batteries from APC is obscene. The one I have here at work uses a 24V battery "pack" consisting of a pair of 12V SLAs stuck together. APC essentially charges $35 for a 5 cent piece of double-sided foam tape.

When the batteries finally went bad in my APC Back ups 1000, I looked online for a replacement battery pack and found them for downright crazy prices. APC wanted $150 for the pack and most other online merchants were not much cheaper. After some google fu, I found what batteries it took and ordered some stronger replacement ones. They ended up giving me an extra 25 mins run time along with being a lot cheaper...$40 for the pair of batteries. All I had to was seperate the batteries in my old pack and connect up the new ones. It took all of 5 mins to do so and saved myself $110 and got longer run time.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex
Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Return to Cases and Power Supplies