FSP power supply problem

Enclosures, modding, blowholes, and the power needed to run it all.

Moderators: Nemesis, SpotTheCat

FSP power supply problem

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:03 am

FSP power supply is a good choice for suppling the power to computer?
Is it a good brand for using?
I just know it provide customer five years warranty.
Any idea?
ilovecherlotte
Gerbil

Re: FSP power supply problem

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:07 pm

Any idea?
ilovecherlotte
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:41 pm

Are you having problems with an FSP PSU or are you asking for an opinion as to their quality?
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:46 pm

FSP's current Aurum series are pretty good. The older ones, it's harder to say-- got an exact model?
continuum
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:48 pm

They've been around for a long time. They are one of the contract manufacturers used by some of the other better known PSU brands (I believe the list includes Antec, Silverstone, Zalman, and a few others). I don't recall hearing anything particularly great or terrible about them. Pretty middle-of-the-road, as far as I can tell.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:20 pm

Captain Ned wrote:Are you having problems with an FSP PSU or are you asking for an opinion as to their quality?

I want to know their quality...
ilovecherlotte
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:23 pm

continuum wrote:FSP's current Aurum series are pretty good. The older ones, it's harder to say-- got an exact model?

i brought it and then built it in my desktop. Im afraid of I buy a too bad power supply,although they provide five years warranty.
ilovecherlotte
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:24 pm

just brew it! wrote:They've been around for a long time. They are one of the contract manufacturers used by some of the other better known PSU brands (I believe the list includes Antec, Silverstone, Zalman, and a few others). I don't recall hearing anything particularly great or terrible about them. Pretty middle-of-the-road, as far as I can tell.

Really?
Maybe it would be fine. The terrible things will be gone.
ilovecherlotte
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:58 am

FSP, like other manufacturers, is happy to build to whatever quality a specific customer demands.

Historically (e.g. back in the Celeron 300A days), Sparkle Power/Forton-Source built excellent units, but they hit quite a lag a few years back with their older designs (group-regulated, ~70% efficient) units getting surpassed by just about everyone else as the mainstream moved to independently-regulated, higher efficiency units.

FSP finally came back in the past year or two with their AURUM series which by all accounts are quite good for budget units, i think the AURUM Gold or whatever are aimed at the higher end, but I haven't seen enough of them in the field to know if they are reliable or not.

So again, it's hard to say what's good or bad about the model you bought without knowing the exact model.
continuum
Gerbil First Class
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:33 am

As Continuum has stated, quality is variable based on the exact model, but FSP have always been reliable - in that even their low-budget variants were decent.

There are two types of power supplies -

• those that are woefully inadequate, produced at rock-bottom prices and blatantly lie about their power ratings. These are the units that fail destructively at 50% load and should be avoided.
  • Those that are built to a specific quality and priced accordingly. If they're very low budget they may not have an 80+ rating, but that's because getting the model certified costs extra money and time.
FSP are in the latter category, even if they're at the budget end. I would expect even the cheapest FSP supplies to reach their rated load at 80+ efficiency and to do so for the duration of their warranty.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:45 am

continuum wrote:FSP, like other manufacturers, is happy to build to whatever quality a specific customer demands.

Historically (e.g. back in the Celeron 300A days), Sparkle Power/Forton-Source built excellent units, but they hit quite a lag a few years back with their older designs (group-regulated, ~70% efficient) units getting surpassed by just about everyone else as the mainstream moved to independently-regulated, higher efficiency units.

FSP finally came back in the past year or two with their AURUM series which by all accounts are quite good for budget units, i think the AURUM Gold or whatever are aimed at the higher end, but I haven't seen enough of them in the field to know if they are reliable or not.

So again, it's hard to say what's good or bad about the model you bought without knowing the exact model.

what kind of information did you want to need?
ilovecherlotte
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:46 am

Chrispy_ wrote:As Continuum has stated, quality is variable based on the exact model, but FSP have always been reliable - in that even their low-budget variants were decent.

There are two types of power supplies -

• those that are woefully inadequate, produced at rock-bottom prices and blatantly lie about their power ratings. These are the units that fail destructively at 50% load and should be avoided.
  • Those that are built to a specific quality and priced accordingly. If they're very low budget they may not have an 80+ rating, but that's because getting the model certified costs extra money and time.
FSP are in the latter category, even if they're at the budget end. I would expect even the cheapest FSP supplies to reach their rated load at 80+ efficiency and to do so for the duration of their warranty.

Can i say the FSP power supply was very poor in past years?
ilovecherlotte
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:04 am

ilovecherlotte wrote:
continuum wrote:So again, it's hard to say what's good or bad about the model you bought without knowing the exact model.

Like he said, the model number would be helpful.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:48 pm

just brew it! wrote:
ilovecherlotte wrote:
continuum wrote:So again, it's hard to say what's good or bad about the model you bought without knowing the exact model.

Like he said, the model number would be helpful.

The link as below.

http://www.fsp-europe.com/aurum_s_500.php
ilovecherlotte
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:42 am

It looks like a decent enough supply to me.

You can't actually achieve 80+ gold efficiency by using low-quality parts. If you get a dud (every manufacturer occasionally has defects) take advantage of the 5 year warranty.
<insert large, flashing, epileptic-fit-inducing signature (based on the latest internet-meme) here>
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:21 am

Power supplies are reviewed at jonnyguru dot com. Some FSPs are covered including one aurum. The wiring is a little unusual so read about it.
climatepete
Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:22 am

Chrispy_ wrote:It looks like a decent enough supply to me.

You can't actually achieve 80+ gold efficiency by using low-quality parts. If you get a dud (every manufacturer occasionally has defects) take advantage of the 5 year warranty.

Agreed. It also has active PFC, which is a feature typically found on better units.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:35 pm

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/FSP-Raider-650-W-Power-Supply-Review/1610/11

This FSP Raider 650W review concludes by saying it's the exact same design as FSP's 80+Gold Aurum PSUs and it gets their top award, stating "terrific value for the savvy user, and we highly recommend it"
I don't know why you're focussing on this one specific model, but it seems like a good choice nonetheless.

My rule of thumb to find a decent power supply is to find the cheapest 80+ Gold with the wattage and features I want.
It's just not possible to make a bad-quality 80+ Gold supply - they HAVE to use decent quality parts in order to attain 85% efficiency.
Chrispy_
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:51 am

Chrispy_ wrote:http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/FSP-Raider-650-W-Power-Supply-Review/1610/11

This FSP Raider 650W review concludes by saying it's the exact same design as FSP's 80+Gold Aurum PSUs and it gets their top award, stating "terrific value for the savvy user, and we highly recommend it"
I don't know why you're focussing on this one specific model, but it seems like a good choice nonetheless.

My rule of thumb to find a decent power supply is to find the cheapest 80+ Gold with the wattage and features I want.
It's just not possible to make a bad-quality 80+ Gold supply - they HAVE to use decent quality parts in order to attain 85% efficiency.

O ic. It is good choice for me to buy a good product.
I think i brought a too bad power supply which is from China (Made in China).
Now, I know it is not. Thank you all guys!
Many thanks!
ilovecherlotte
Gerbil

Return to Cases and Power Supplies