AMD Post-Excavator

Discussion of all forms of processors, from AMD to Intel to VIA.

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

Re: AMD Post-Excavator

Postposted on Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:16 am

I agree that it is very sensible for AMD to focus on mobile and server. They rely on the likes of Global Foundries for their manufacturing capabilities, and while it is nice to see that they have been able to do some manufacturing at TSMC, it mostly stays the same. GF is well known for delivering late and not really have the performance they promised on paper years ago. A recent example is their scrapping of their fabled 14XM process, something they promised a good while back and never delivered. Actually looking a lot better with the licensing of Samsungs FinFET-process, that might actually work. I don't know why AMD sticks to GF like an abused spouse, maybe some VP:s are related or something. Make no sense from a business standpoint.

I don't think the Bulldozer architecture was a mistake really, it was just too late. First revision was obviously an early buggy alpha silicon, the second (Piledriver) was more OK and the third that's in Kaveri (SteamrollerB) is also an improvement. But also late to market.

As for the future, who knows? Excavator seems to be the end of the line for the Bulldozer arch, should hit sometime next year? Probably good for servers, not so much for desktop. The ARM stuff will probably never make it to desktop, the software isn't even close really and is still a problem for servers.
Intolerant people ought to drink more beer.
Pholostan
Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Re: AMD Post-Excavator

Postposted on Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:30 am

Well, we'll know for sure once AMD officially unveils their new cores and their corresponding SKUs. For now, I'll just have to hope that the new x86 core will make its way into performance desktops and the new ARM core will also gain traction in the desktop space, not just in servers. Its hopes lie in the hands of Microsoft and other big devs to support it. Of course there's Google too. We might see more powerful Android-powered desktops that use AMD's K12.
AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4) / 2 x G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB DDR3-1866 / AMD HD7770 1GB / TP-Link WN723N USB Wifi-N / Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / Hitachi 7K1000.C 1TB / LG ODD / Cooler Master GX650 / Aerocool VS3 / LG W2252TQ / Win7 64-bit
ronch
Gerbil Elite

Previous

Return to Processors