Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

Tubehopper
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Ugh, need help with mobo questions

Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:36 pm

I have a HP 531w-b (don't laugh now) and found out after I bought it (yeah shoulda read the fine print closer) that it doesn't have an AGP slot. Which means I'm stuck with my crappy Ge2 MX.

http://www.pcbay.net/pcbay1/luc6va6via14.html

Thats the Mobo I plan on getting.

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_c ... 07028.html

This is my current Mobo. I can't find its dimensions any where, and was wondering if I could swap the Mobo's and they would fit. I don't really want to buy a new case, but if thats what it takes then so be it.

smakkythecamel
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 29, 2002 6:56 pm

Hey Tubehopper.

My Fiancé has an HP and I put some more RAM in it and blow me down, those cases are packed so tight I got claustrophobic.
I think if you were able to fit a new mobo in there, there wouldn't be much room to breathe. The structure of the new motherboard could possibly get in the way of other components such as Cd-rom poking out the back, power supply getting in the way of CPU cooler etc.
Personally I think you'd be better off buying a new case, but wait to hear from some others as to what they think, I've only ever seen my fiancé's model of HP Computer, others might be totally different.

Regards,
Smakky.

Gershwin
Gerbil XP

Re: Ugh, need help with mobo questions

Mon Apr 29, 2002 9:18 pm

Tubehopper wrote:
I have a HP 531w-b (don't laugh now) and found out after I bought it (yeah shoulda read the fine print closer) that it doesn't have an AGP slot. Which means I'm stuck with my crappy Ge2 MX. I don't really want to buy a new case, but if thats what it takes then so be it.

You'll buy some nice new motherboard only to find that HP has a proprietary power supply connection, or a power supply that doesn't supply sufficient amps at 5V or some other retarded spec. Or, you'll find the non-standard ATX port cutout is goofy. Or, the slot spacing is screwy.

I think you're asking for trouble.

I'd spend the extra few bucks on a halfway decent case, motherboard and power supply. Believe me, your hair will thank you afterwards (because you wouldn't have pulled half of it out in frustration).

At least you know now not to buy a needlessly proprietary oddball computer from one of the major OEM's like HP or Compaq in the future. Most of us have been down that road or know someone who has and can sit back and smile at our speedy, reliable and non-proprietary rigs. 8)

ReiGn
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 30, 2002 2:57 am

:P 100% agree with the other two. I've messed with both HP and Compaq and it's more trouble than it's worth. Go the whole nine yards and match up a new case and pow supply to the mobo you really want.
my system breaks every other day....currently--no OpenGL on my TI4400???? what the...?

Gundyrat
Gerbil First Class

Fri May 03, 2002 8:20 pm

HeHe i worked on a couple older HP's that had a two pice M/B always makes me wonder just What they had in mind with this idea PCI cards on top of a slot adaptor real pain chaingin memory and or cpu when ya got to tear the whole thing apart to do what should have been a 10 min job
Pavilian kisses the ground that I didnt buy the one I was looking at when I got my first pc