Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, morphine

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

AGP Slot Scares Me!!

Tue May 21, 2002 5:08 am

I'm worried about my current AGP Slot. In a few weeks I'm going to be purchasing a GeForce4 Ti4600. Yeah for me, however I'm worried that something could be wrong with my AGP slot. Currently I'm running off of Intel chipset I hate it. So I'm upgrading to a video card finally. A while back my friend Chris gave me a old AGP card (the name escapes me for the moment). Now I wasn't able to get it to work. I left it in for about a few months since I have one of those wonderful cases with screws were the whole thing comes off not just the sides (old school case). When I decided I might as well take it out I noticed some kind of white powdery substance I believe around the AGP slot. It's been a while since I've removed the card and threw it in my closet. Five months or longer. The reason I bring this up is that I'm worried that my AGP slot might be jacked up/ or worse jack up my new $400 dollar video card. So is their a way to check my AGP slot. Should I be worried about my video card being jacked up?

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 21, 2002 7:37 am

White in your AGP slot. :o

I would close the cover more often before watching p0rn! :D

Kidding...

Now is the white stuff in the slot or is in around the slot resting on the MB?

It sounds like you've got some corrosion happening there, but I can't see it so I dunno. I've never see white stuff on a circuit board unless it was corroding for some reason.

You can take the system apart and pull out the MB. Try cleaning it with a small brush, and maybe a little acetone. Just a little and whip it off when done. Also be sure that it evaporates and is fully dry before putting it back together.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

dan@imprezion
Gerbil

Tue May 21, 2002 8:15 am

air in a can should clean in just fine.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue May 21, 2002 8:24 am

Not if the contacts are corroded. You need to clean the rust and any other debris off of them. An air can will not do that. It will only blow the loose junk of the surface.

I worked for two years (right after high school) in an electronic repair shop. I've cleaned more circuit boards then I care to remember.

It all depends on what is happening here. I can't see it to say for sure.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue May 21, 2002 4:44 pm

I vaguely remember the substance completely however when i saw it I cleaned it out with an air can. I'll take a closer look at it to see if I can see any thing wrong with the AGP slot though I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Also could it be possible that the substance came from the video card. I'm starting to think now that it may not have been the AGP Slot because it was never used until that point.

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Thu May 23, 2002 8:44 am

That white powder is likely to be dust or factory fluff, esp if you've never used the AGP slot (and you're not a drug lord of course) :wink: .

:D I'd rec getting a 2nd hand gfx card, pref a 4x & 1.5v card (same as GF4) so if it works you can be almost certain the GF4 will without actually risking it. Bear in mind though that your slot may not take anything other than old 3.3v 16MB cards depending on how old it is, so if a 1.5v cards doesn't work then try one of these older cards.

:-? What CPU & mobo chipset are you running? Have you checked your case cooling and PSU will be up to the job? I'd rec getting an AthlonXP1900+, 512MB DDR, KT333 mobo, a new case and PSU. You should find that's under $300 (Pricewatch) and then a GF4TI4200 ($160) will be infinitely better than sticking a GF4TI4600 with an inadequate CPU (< 1 ghz). You'd have fewer probs, better future proofing and better performance in games and non-game stuff.

Just my penny's worth, peace :wink: .
I'm doing my best to catch up but life's still just too busy.

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu May 23, 2002 6:21 pm

It's a Intel 800Mhz CPU. The board can handle 1GZ, but I never bothered. I know that the AGP slot can handle up to 64MB. So I know if I install it I'll I will get is half of the card. My plans are that after I get my card I'm going to buy a new case, mobo, 2100+, and then I'll transfer the GeForce4 card into my new rig. I just want to play games right now, and I want to get my card since I have almost enough money to get it.

Austin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Birmingham ENGLAND (some say Mars, or was it Uranus)

Thu May 23, 2002 6:30 pm

Hey Malebolgia, sounds good to me!

Your mobo should handle the full 128MB of a gfx card, AFAIK it's a matter of AGP2.0 specification which your mobo should certainly have.

You'll gain a lot even with your current CPU by enabling AA and antopic to maximise the use of the GPU. And when you do upgrade the rest ... it'll fly :wink: .

malebolgia
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu May 23, 2002 9:23 pm

Well let me say thank you for how much you have helped me out. Thanks

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Fri May 24, 2002 10:51 am

The GF4 Ti4600 is fully reverse compatible. I've run mine in both an Intel 440LX mobo and a FIC SD-11 AMD-751 job, just for kicks. No problems all the way down to AGP 1X and 3.3V, though the high current draw remains the same. If that becomes a problem, find an old Voodoo5 on eBay and make it a permanent partner to the (probably) BX board.

Steel
Global Moderator

Fri May 24, 2002 11:08 am

AGP Slot Scares Me!!

Personally I find PCI slots more frightening.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed May 29, 2002 2:46 pm

Steel wrote:
AGP Slot Scares Me!!

Personally I find PCI slots more frightening.

PCI?? What about those damnable ACR slots? They are like PCI's evil, unemployed twin, looks the same but is twisted (180 degrees) and has no use except to waste space!