PS2 ports not working on motherboard

Discussion of all forms of processors, from AMD to Intel to VIA.

Moderators: Flying Fox, morphine

Postposted on Tue Feb 05, 2002 2:31 pm

I have an ABIT KT7A-RAID motherboard that I bought in April of 2001 and so I believe that it is the 1.0 version of the board. I am running the latest official 64 BIOS version.

Just recently I have started to have trouble with the PS2 ports. It first started with my PS2 mouse not being detected after a cold boot. I was able to work around this problem by unplugging the mouse and restarting the computer and plugging the mouse back in a few times and then the mouse would finally be detected.

Now, my PS2 keyboard is not detected when the computer boots up. I can not even hit the delete key to enter the BIOS. The keyboard appears to receive power since if I plug the keyboard into the computer when the computer is already on then the little indicator LEDs on the keyboard flash for a second. But then if I press the Num Lock or the Caps Lock key the lights don't come on.

I know that the problems are not with the mouse or the keyboard since they both work in a different computer. I have also tried a different mouse and keyboard and those didn't work either.

I have tried clearing the CMOS and reseating all of the components. I have also tried removing all the nonessential components but that did not help either.

The only thing I haven't tried is a USB keyboard. But I don't have a USB keyboard and I don't really want to buy one either.

I e-mailed ABIT tech support to see if I can get an RMA so we will see how it goes. If any one has any more suggestions, I'd be willing to try them. Thanks!
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
Kevin
Administrator

Postposted on Tue Feb 05, 2002 3:18 pm

You could get a PS2 to USB adapter to test the USB ports and use the keyboard.
dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Thu Feb 07, 2002 11:25 pm

I bought a PS/2 to USB adapter yesterday and my keyboard are mouse do work with the USB ports. However, this is only true for Win2K. Win98 doesn't seem to be very happy with my USB.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.
Kevin
Administrator

Return to Processors